Author Topic: Stuck Oil Filter  (Read 5990 times)

Offline malonef

• Board Regular!
Stuck Oil Filter
« on: December 26, 2005, 08:28:16 AM »
I have come up with a problem I have never had. When I shut the 1200 down for the Winter I drained the oil and left the bike sitting for an evening. When I went back out the next morning and tried to remove the filter it would not budge. I have tried everything I can think of including a strap wrench and slip joint pliers but cannot seem to get it to break loose. Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions you might have would be appreciated a great deal. Also any ideas on how to make sure this does not happen again. Thanks in advance :duh:

Offline txbanditrydr

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
Stuck Oil Filter
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2005, 10:02:35 AM »
I would suggest a filter "socket" wrench... the type that fits over the end of the filter and uses a 3/8" ratchet.  If you use the OEM filters you will need the OEM filter tool.... aftermarket filters may/can use the type sold in automotive sections at various stores.

Another thought might be to refill with oil and warm things back up - then try to loosen the filter.

Also.... and I hate to bring it up - apologies in advance - remember counterclockwise to loosen.  :stickpoke:
'01 B600S ... sold
'05 B1200S ... Top 20 mods... #20 through #2 - All The Usual Ones, Yada, Yada  & #1... 150,000+ Miles and Counting!!!!

Offline chevsuz12

• Board Homesteader!
Stuck Oil Filter
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2005, 10:11:52 AM »
You could punch a screwdriver through it and twist, it should come right off.
B12 Streetfighter!

Offline Daytona

• Board Homesteader!
Stuck Oil Filter
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2005, 10:22:08 AM »
WOW if a strap wrench, or slip joint pliers won't get it!!! Sounds like its time to drive a bar thru it and use the cave man method. I have always been able to remove mine with the plier method but i only put em on as tight as fingers will allow! never had a leak....  :duh: lefty loosey  :beers:

Offline Vee Dub Nut

• Board Homesteader!
Stuck Oil Filter
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2005, 11:34:28 AM »
if you have a large set of channel lock pliers, that will usually do the trick to... I found my last filter I tried to remove with stabing it with a screwdriver rather hard to puncture, so i used the channel locks...

good luck
Adam in College Station Texas

1996 Bandit 750s - SOLD!
1998 Bandit 1200s - SOLD!
2000 VW GTi GLX
1967 VW Beetle* slight modifictations

Offline pmackie

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Stuck Oil Filter
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2005, 01:56:24 PM »
If you are a patient, carefull type you can use a small, sharp metal chisel and work it off. Once you get it to move an 1/8 of a turn or so, your strap wrench will then work.

Easy to say, but don't put it on quite so tight next time.
Paul
2002-GSF600S, Progressive Fork Springs, B12 Shock,
SS Brake lines, EBC HH pads, Leo Vince Ex & Kappa bags.
Ex Bike Mechanic (late 70's), somewhat rusty
32 years in the Fuel/lubes industry(Retired)

Offline Daytona

• Board Homesteader!
Stuck Oil Filter
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2005, 03:23:45 PM »
Sure hope  malonef replies!! I would like to know if that little filter can be that tough to get off if? oiled before installing, they were tryin to remove in the rite direction! A medium sized pr of slip joint pliers fit the bill just fine if used from the L-side of an un lower fairinged bike like the Bandit!!! :annoy:

Offline malonef

• Board Regular!
Stuck Oil Filter
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2005, 05:45:30 PM »
I have not had a chance to try anything else but will let you all know the outcome. Thank you for your advice. And yes I am turning it in the right direction and it was oiled when installed. I do remember though, that this was the first time I ever got the filter to make 2 complete rotations since I have had the bike. I guess I will stop at 1.5 like I usually did.

Offline txbanditrydr

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
Stuck Oil Filter
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2005, 09:01:13 PM »
Quote from: "malonef"
And yes I am turning it in the right direction .

Well... there's  your problem - turn it left.  :stickpoke:  Sorry - could not resist.  

Two full turns is too much and I had similar trouble.  Now I go 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 turns max.
'01 B600S ... sold
'05 B1200S ... Top 20 mods... #20 through #2 - All The Usual Ones, Yada, Yada  & #1... 150,000+ Miles and Counting!!!!

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Re: Stuck Oil Filter
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2005, 07:00:26 PM »
Quote from: "malonef"
Also any ideas on how to make sure this does not happen again. Thanks in advance :duh:

Replace it with a K&N oil filter. They have a small (17mm?) wrenching surface on the end.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline terrebandit

• Board Homesteader!
    • Daves Bandit Group
Stuck Oil Filter
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2005, 10:27:18 PM »
I only go one turn on mine but I use a NAPA gold filter.  This filter is just as good as a stock filter and much less expensive.  I've also never had one stick.   I also use an aftermarket filter cap wrench and a 17" box end to turn it.

Before putting your next filter on, make sure you lube-up the rubber gasket with oil before tightening it down.
My Bandit(s) -click here  >={{{*>
2000 B12S "Good Ole Bob"
____ o7o____o7o ___Ride Safe!

Offline bandibull

• Board Regular!
hand tight
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2005, 11:33:36 PM »
I put  a bit of the oil on the seal and install the filter
as tight as I can get it by hand.

I've yet to have one fall off.
Taking the old filter off still requires a filter wrench
so I'm not to worried.

:motorsmile:  :motorsmile:  :motorsmile:
All the best themes have been used up,
turned into theme parks.
                                      HardHarry

Offline Daytona

• Board Homesteader!
Stuck Oil Filter
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2005, 01:20:18 AM »
Most of them say 2/3rds of a turn after they contact the base! I never stop there though, but not much more than that... never had a leak or stuck sucker!!!! :motorsmile:

Offline ray nielsen

• Board Homesteader!
Stuck Oil Filter
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2005, 01:09:23 PM »
I've always used a torque wrench and tightened to 7 ft.-lb.  This number was for a Honda Nighthawk I previously owned so I figured it should be good for the Bandit too.  No problems ever but a wrench was still reqruired to remove it come replacement time.

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Stuck Oil Filter
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2005, 06:21:06 PM »
Quote from: "terrebandit"
I also use an aftermarket filter cap wrench and a 17" box end to turn it.

Dayum! That's a BIG freakin' box end wrench. :wink:
Don't think I've ever seen a box end wrench bigger than ~2".
Usually when fasteners get that big, you need sockets and BIG ratchets - or torque multipliers. (Like the Sweeney Wrench I used to use to put rotor head retaining nuts on.)

:motorsmile:  :beers:  :motorsmile:
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)