Author Topic: Stupid question  (Read 2545 times)

Offline BanditoNova

• TURBO TYPER!
  • Love is . . . twisting the wrist!
Stupid question
« on: August 11, 2008, 08:20:23 PM »
How the hell does anyone get to the two middle carbs a/f screws and adjust them with any accuracy without spending $50.00 a 90 degree screwdriver? I am playing with a long bit from a multibit set and a swivel on a long 3/8 extension, neither of which are working all that great. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :rant2:
This is where something witty and intelligent goes . . .

Offline pmackie

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Re: Stupid question
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 09:11:08 PM »
I first set mine when the carbs were upside down on the bench. Since then I have moved them twice, only 1/8 turn each time, with a removable bit mounted in a box end wrench. Tricky, but it worked (at least on the 600...which has Keihin carbs).
Paul
2002-GSF600S, Progressive Fork Springs, B12 Shock,
SS Brake lines, EBC HH pads, Leo Vince Ex & Kappa bags.
Ex Bike Mechanic (late 70's), somewhat rusty
32 years in the Fuel/lubes industry(Retired)

Offline DaveG

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2008, 11:04:09 AM »
i use a really short small screwdriver

Offline Rocketjock

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2008, 12:09:13 PM »
Ya, it's tricky. I took a stubby screwdriver and then ground the handle even smaller on a bench grinder to fit. Notching the screwdriver handle accurately on one or more sides also help with keeping track of the number of turns you've made.
06 B12
Lovin my Bandit
07 KLR.
Too much fun!

Offline PaulVS

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2008, 01:26:06 PM »
I make a mark on the outer part of the tubes with a magic marker that aligns with the head of the screwdriver bit when the screws are turned in full.  I also mark that part of the bit.

Then I can see how many rotations I'm making relative to the marks.

Offline BanditoNova

• TURBO TYPER!
  • Love is . . . twisting the wrist!
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2008, 06:38:01 PM »
Yeah I was using the stamping on my screwdriver bit as a reference and I've managed to turn them 3 full turns out. It seems to have smoothed out the response from 1.2k to 4k rpm. I haven't jetted or shimmed yet but was just doing some monkeying to see the results. All kinds of torque and pickup with the 2 bros pipe! I don't know what the upper end is like yet, but it sure wants to get there quick. :grin:
Still a slight stumble at around 2500-3000rpm when rolling along in 2nd gear though.

I guess I'm a little off-topic for my original thread :shameshame: Thanks for the ideas guys!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 06:42:33 PM by BanditoNova »
This is where something witty and intelligent goes . . .