Author Topic: Third gear whine  (Read 9052 times)

Offline wtsheff

• New user!
Third gear whine
« on: May 03, 2005, 08:01:44 AM »
I suppose my tranny is beginning to go out because third gear seems to keep getting louder as time goes by-an annoying whining sound.Does anyone know what will finally happen when that gear goes out?Is it something I should worry about when flying through the twisties of the GA. mountains?How expensive is it to replace a transmission on a 1997 B-12 or can I replace just third gear?Thanks in advance,WTS.

Offline Bob Holland

• Board Homesteader!
Third gear whine
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2005, 09:24:58 AM »
I have replaced a lot of gears in Gsxrs and in my 98 bandit, to fix 2nd gear. You might have to replace more than 1 gear to fix it. I have never heard one make a whining sound, so I can't tell you what all you have to replace to fix it. Have you ever found a piece of broken gear when you change oil? That is the only thing that comes to mine.
There is a complete 97 B12 transmission on E-Bay now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=35581&item=4546890814&rd=1
If I didn't have a Suzuki, I would have a Kawasaki

Offline B12Teuton

• Board Homesteader!
Third gear whine
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2005, 12:22:38 PM »
You sure it's not the front sprocket??  Mine made a sound like that.
Manny
ATGATT (all the gear all the time!)
2006 KTM450XC Thump-whore

Offline ray nielsen

• Board Homesteader!
Third gear whine
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2005, 01:37:09 PM »
My 2003 Bandit 1200 had an annoying whine that began in 3rd gear and got worse as 4th or 5th was used.  Turned out to be the Michelin Macadam tires.  The problem went away when i replace the tires with Metzeler ME 880s.

My Kawasaki W650 had a loud whine in 3rd gear only and it turned out to be a very worn front sprocket.  Don't know why it appeard only in 3rd, but the sprocket was very worn and new chain and sprockets cured the wnine completely.

Offline wtsheff

• New user!
3rd gear whine
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2005, 04:00:53 AM »
Thanks for the help.I just had the chain,sprockets and tires replaced so it shouldn't be that.I read from another forum many other Bandits have this same symptom.I guess I will just keep riding and hope for the best.
Today I blew a spark plug out of the cylinder during hard acceleration.Anyone ever do that B4?

Offline 99er

• Board Homesteader!
Third gear whine
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2005, 09:04:37 AM »
Don't be sure that it's not the spocket. Most don't replace the front sprocket with a Suzuki part. The OEM part uses rubber to deaden drivetrain sound. When I added my old 16 tooth, it was loud as it was solid steel.

Third gear may be louder than the others due to the gear ratio resonating more through the drivetrain. I've heard of 2nd gear not engaging on RF900s - common, but never a B12, especially not third.
Marc/Atlanta

Offline captainshortypants

• New user!
    • http://www.geocities.com/killdozer1
3rd gear whine
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2005, 05:49:03 PM »
I actually like that whining sound in third gear.  I find it oddly comforting - sort of an indication of usable power or something.  I guess I'm just weird.
2002 Bandit 1200
aka Maxwell the Silver Hammer