Author Topic: TPS Ohm Readings Out of Whack!!  (Read 7842 times)

Offline NarkolepticBandit600S

• TURBO TYPER!
TPS Ohm Readings Out of Whack!!
« on: March 25, 2006, 09:23:59 PM »
I tried to adj. my TPS today.  Boy am I confused  :?: .  I read some instructions from previous posts and looked up the same info in my HAYNES Manual.  For my G2 B6 ( 2001 ). POI my bike does run decent and last fall when I ran a full tank of gas I got around 38 MPG, But thats with a 2.5 mile stretch of 90+ MPH riding every day. ( going to work not much traffic )

This is what I got from the info.
With one lead from your Multimeter on the center ( middle bottom ) contact and the other lead on the top right contact, you should get a reading of around 5 Kohm.  Then with the throttle wide open you need 76% of that which is 3.8 Kohm.

Here is where im pulling out my hair.  No matter what I did my readings where as follows.  Throttle closed  .980 Kohm to 1.130 Kohm, and throttle closed 4.030 Kohm to No reading.

Now Im either a little tarded but I believe my multi meter to be good, just checked a nother ohm reading 2 weeks ago and it checked correct.

If other G2 B6 owners have or can check their readings and verify that mine are wrong I would appreciate it.  Of course, the result that Im comming to is my TPS is Bad... $88.00 to replace.

Any input would be great, Thanks

Offline ray nielsen

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2006, 10:45:34 PM »
The two outside connections should be the maximum resistance, somewhere between 3500 and 6500 ohms.  Usually the value is nearer 5000 ohms.  This value doesn't change with position.

The resistance from center to either end is the variable value -- in one direction it increases and in the other it increases.  You want 76% at full throttle from the center to the other (I don't remember which) connection.  You'll need a calculator to find 76% of the total resistance value.  A digital ohmmeter works best for setting the TPS as there's no reading between the lines so to speak, just numbers.

I think you've found the Achilles heel of both the Haynes and Clymer manual -- misinformation.  The Suzuki factory manual outlines the procedure correctly and should be abailable in the archives somewhere, try FAQ.

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2006, 11:43:35 PM »
Here's the excerpt from the factory B12 manual:

Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

• TURBO TYPER!
Re: TPS Ohm Readings Out of Whack!!
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2006, 04:19:04 AM »
Quote from: "NarkolepticBandit600S"

Here is where im pulling out my hair.  No matter what I did my readings where as follows.  Throttle closed  .980 Kohm to 1.130 Kohm, and throttle closed 4.030 Kohm to No reading.

I really should proof read my posts.... above should read.

Throttle closed .9 Kohm OPEN error's out to 4 Kohm.

The other point of intrest is that I can't get any reading from the left terminal from the TPS harness. the only way my Digital multimeter gets any reading at all is across middle and the right terminals, if I try to measure across middle and left or left and right I get error...which is NO resistance for that circut.  

To me it looks like on the B6 the middle terminal is like ground, using that for both Ohm 1 and Ohm 2 readings.  Im not getting any reading for Ohm 1 at all.  
Again if any B6 users happen to have done this please let me know since the pinouts and the specs for a B12 are different, it would make this a lot easier.

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2006, 02:49:51 PM »
Are you reading the harness - or the TPS sensor?

I see you using terms like left and right, too... but the terminals are arranged vertically (at least they are on a B12).

You should be reading across the sensor's upper and lower terminals (not the harness) for reading 1 and the upper and middle for #2.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline gandnb

• New user!
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2006, 06:16:47 AM »
On the 01 B6 models, the TPS has a wire harness off of it. It not like the B12. When reading the TPS readings should read

|    |     |

|

Your pins should look something like my drawing above, (dont pick on the drawing) first reading should be the left pin and lower pin that is by itself. The upper two has a piece of plastic that like a guide for the plug. When I did mind I got a reading of about 4.71Kohms, then the next reading comes right pin and the lower pin, WOT, should get a reading of around 76 percent of the first reading. Mine came out about 3.61ohms. Hope this helps.

Offline scooter69

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2006, 11:49:30 AM »
I just adjusted mine yesterday and was it ever off.

I had a reading of 4110 over 5080...roughly 81%. I never really noticed any problems last season but WOW what a difference it makes.

Time for more mods now.....it's giving me the itch......$$$$

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2006, 06:00:45 PM »
Well OK, here it is.
I found that reading ohm 1 or A is constant does not change and that ohm 2 or B should be 76% of that with the throttle wide open.

My readings are bad, Ohm A read 4.83 Kohm, the very closest I could get to Ohm B to the target of 76% was 3.87 Kohm !!  The math comes out to just over 80% of Ohm A's reading... So I'm still Not even close around  .200 Kohm off. If this is the right way to do it any way..lol !
Im adjusting the TPS to the stops so It cant get any closer to the target of 3.67Kohm's.

Next Question is, should I start looking for a new TPS?
Any suggestions?
And Thanks for all your help...I feel like im an expert now..lol

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2006, 09:13:42 PM »
Have you tried reading it with another meter? Maybe yours isn't accurate?

How does the bikes run? If it runs OK, I wouldn't run right out an buy a new TPS... especially when some folks disconnect them.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline gandnb

• New user!
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2006, 02:05:51 AM »
Your readings are very close to mind, I would worry to much about.

Offline txbanditrydr

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2006, 10:42:55 PM »
Quote from: "scooter69"
I just adjusted mine yesterday and was it ever off.

I had a reading of 4110 over 5080...roughly 81%. I never really noticed any problems last season but WOW what a difference it makes.

Time for more mods now.....it's giving me the itch......$$$$

Checked mine tonight... had an 81% difference too (5.17k vs 4.20k) and that was factory set.  Brought it down to 76% and can't wait for a test ride.  Performance on the cheap would be very cool.  BTW - I learned that the ohm setting rises as you tighten the set screws so set it a little under (0.01k - 0.02k) before you crank 'em down or try to counter torque the sensor as you tighten.  Sorta like the chain getting tighter when you snug up the axle bolt.
'01 B600S ... sold
'05 B1200S ... Top 20 mods... #20 through #2 - All The Usual Ones, Yada, Yada  & #1... 150,000+ Miles and Counting!!!!

Offline machu

• TURBO TYPER!
Re: TPS Ohm Readings Out of Whack!!
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2010, 06:58:02 PM »
hate to bring this thread back from the dead but there are a some questions that need to be answered.
My TPS is also at the 80-81% market from the factory setting!,those of you who have made the adjustments from this to the suggested 76% have you noticed and overall difference by the seat of your pants or fuel economy?,or did it livin it up at all or make it lazy?