Author Topic: valve Service  (Read 2501 times)

Offline jimyed

• Board Homesteader!
valve Service
« on: August 18, 2008, 01:24:01 PM »
Well after reading all I could on here and another site I did my Valves yesterday. All went well; they were just a little tight. I elected to not get new gaskets as I am really cheap and they looked good. That may have backfired on me  :sad: :sad: :sad:  I started the bike and let it warm after getting it all back together and did not appear  have and leaks  but this morning as the bike was warming it started puking oil out the front of the valve cover. I did have time to troubleshoot but I may have pinched it. I hope so anyway! I used some permatex #4 around the end caps should i have used it to keep the gasket in the valve cover as well?

Offline britxbike

• Board Regular!
Re: valve Service
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 08:54:54 PM »
Dude sorry to hear about the gasket. It might be a little pricey being from the dealer and all but the replacement gasket it totally worth it. I found my Exhaust valves to be a bit tight myself. She runs great now but I did spend better part of a weekend making sure I did everything right. Biggest problem I ran into was torquing the bolts correctly with hardly any space to work in the front of the head.
01' 1200s GO HUSKERS!

Offline txbanditrydr

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 09:16:40 PM »
Puking oil from the "front of the valve cover" is as sure sign you mis-aligned or jostled the spark plug well gasket(s) when easing the cover over the cam chain.  Oil is leaking into your spark plug wells and there's a drain hole for each well.  Pull the tank and cover.... you should find the culprit.  Good luck.
'01 B600S ... sold
'05 B1200S ... Top 20 mods... #20 through #2 - All The Usual Ones, Yada, Yada  & #1... 150,000+ Miles and Counting!!!!

Offline txbanditrydr

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 09:19:30 PM »
I used some permatex #4 around the end caps should i have used it to keep the gasket in the valve cover as well?

No...  just in the half moon areas of the gasket - on the cylinder head only.  No other goop is needed - although some people will "tack" their spark plug well gaskets in place (see post above).
'01 B600S ... sold
'05 B1200S ... Top 20 mods... #20 through #2 - All The Usual Ones, Yada, Yada  & #1... 150,000+ Miles and Counting!!!!

Offline jimyed

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 11:11:19 PM »
thanks for the replys. Spark plug it is. I think .I'll know in the morning when i warm it up.