Author Topic: Skimming head.  (Read 6557 times)

Offline roogazza

• TURBO TYPER!
Skimming head.
« on: May 28, 2006, 11:31:41 PM »
Anyone on here able to pm me details of shaving a bandit head ?  I have GSXR cams to install and would like 10 or 11 to1 compression.  How much do I need to remove from the head and is there any safe limit ?  Thanks,   roogazza@hotmail.com   New Zealand.

I could just throw the cams in but figured the std 9 to1 isn't going to be enough.  Anybody got good results with just the cams ?    I run a Remus pipe and full yoshie headers, K&N and jetting.      Gaz.
GSF1200N,GSXR1100 cams, Head work
(3 angle,gas flow,compression),
Stage 3 Dynojet kit & K & N pods,Yoshie Full system, Front springs & GSXR Shock, Carbon stuff.  etc etc.

Offline Bob Holland

• Board Homesteader!
Skimming head.
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2006, 11:25:31 PM »
I have taken .030, but your cam chain adjuster may not work, I had to use a mechanical adjuster. I have also left out the base gasket on GSXR oil cooled motors. you get .010, and thats probably more area than shaving the head .030.
If I didn't have a Suzuki, I would have a Kawasaki

Offline Seanybiker

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.madblaa.com
Skimming head.
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2006, 12:01:39 AM »
If your gonna do that you must make sure you actually know what your doing. Obviously you must since you postred about it. but I know a lot of people that done things to bikes, that sounded good in theory. lol :banana:  :banana:

Offline Bob Holland

• Board Homesteader!
Skimming head.
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2006, 01:58:54 PM »
You also have to dial in the cams, slotted cam sprockets.

Offline roogazza

• TURBO TYPER!
Skimming head.
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2006, 06:12:43 PM »
If left at 9.5 to 1 with the cams , its not going to grunt right ?  I've just had an E mail from Dale Walker and he confirmed he no longer stocks the Std bore 11 to 1 kit.   That would have saved all the machining.  
anyone just run the cams with std comp ? what hp Figures  ??      Gaz.
Stage 3 Dynojet kit & K & N pods,Yoshie Full system, Front springs & GSXR Shock, Carbon stuff.  etc etc.

Offline Bob Holland

• Board Homesteader!
Skimming head.
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2006, 11:09:35 AM »
Try APE, :http://www.aperaceparts.com/
I think that they would get them for you.

Offline roogazza

• TURBO TYPER!
Skimming head.
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2006, 05:20:41 AM »
Popped the GSXR cams in yesterday ,  together with stage 3 jet kit.

Will hang back with the compression and head work until I 've had a little think and decide on bore kit size  !!!!       Anybody done the same / what gains /figures can i hope for as is.    Gaz.

Offline kedeg_97B12

• Board Homesteader!
Skimming head.
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2006, 11:51:25 AM »
Gaz
I have heard of others running the same set up and they were pleased but I also have heard it really smokes your midrange because of the overlap of the cams.

Please do tell.

I sorta wish I did my mods in steps to gauge the differance. My bike feels slow again.
97 1216 Big Bore, Gixxer intake, with
Holeshot commemorative figurine with kung fu grip, Red
12 volt Dewalt drill, Yellow,
Moen bathroom faucets, Chrome

Offline roogazza

• TURBO TYPER!
Skimming head.
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2006, 09:57:49 PM »
Just a quick update, my stage three with 155 mains seem close but second clip way lean ! went third clip, better but not much. Went 4th plus washer , much improved and heading right direction.   Still has sort of stumble , flatness in high gear roll on around 4000.  Maybe clip 5 will do it?   Test tomorrow and decide.     This thing now reminds me of my Kawasaki H2  , Gaz.      :banana:

Offline Bob Holland

• Board Homesteader!
Skimming head.
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2006, 10:16:41 PM »
I have installed around 10 or so Dyno jet kits in the GSXR 1100s, I have always ended up using 160 mains.  :motorsmile:

Offline roogazza

• TURBO TYPER!
Skimming head.
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2006, 11:05:08 PM »
Well , I think i have it ?    Had the tank off  half a dozen times trying to pick the setting which is best. Confirmed at 4clips from top with 1 shim.Still had a stumble top gear from 4000 which was my fault as I had left in the standard springs .  Dyna jet springs are stronger and cured things.    Minimum loss of mid range with the cams and a whole lot more up top.     Thanks for all the input from those that did, I just love this hooligan bike....   Gaz.

Offline 2005B12S

• Board Homesteader!
Skimming head.
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2006, 11:34:58 AM »
   Minimum loss of mid range with the cams and a whole lot more up top.

My experience exactly, the GSXR cams work well with the stock compression motor. This thing still has a ton of midrange and now the hit at 6500rpm is impressive.

Ride On, Ed.
2005 GSF1200SZ
1983 GS750ED
1992 900SS
2005 GSF1200SZ
1983 GS750ED
1992 900SS

"The quality of the kite matters little, sucess depends upon the man sitting in it" Manfred Von Richthofen

Offline roogazza

• TURBO TYPER!
Skimming head.
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2006, 06:49:32 PM »
Quote from: 2005B12S
   Minimum loss of mid range with the cams and a whole lot more up top.

My experience exactly, the GSXR cams work well with the stock compression motor. This thing still has a ton of midrange and now the hit at 6500rpm is impressive.

Ride On, Ed.
2005 GSF1200SZ
1983 GS750ED
1992 900SS

Thanks Ed.   I guess compression , bore and headwork will be even better ?  My mate on a new ZX10 got a hell of a fright Saturday when at 100kph I pulled along side dropped three gears and wheelied !   he said "it didn't do that before !"     big smile from me.   be in touch.  Gaz.

Offline Bazza

• Board Homesteader!
Skimming head.
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2006, 04:01:51 AM »
You may want to be really nice to your local parts man.

Sometimes upping the compression is as simple as using the stock head gasket from another era engine.

Normally when manufacturers reduce compression on an existing engine platform, (like the B-12) they do it by installing a thicker head gasket at assembly. (In fact this is the case with the Yamaha FZ-1 engine vs the
R-1 engine. The same is used in both bikes).

I have no idea if this is possible with the B-12, but I would bet a head gasket from an earlier Gixer Engine would be thinner. I have no idea how you would investigate this, but a skilled parts guy could help you.