Author Topic: weird ticking noise  (Read 2677 times)

Offline the kid

• TURBO TYPER!
weird ticking noise
« on: May 23, 2007, 10:16:44 PM »
i have a gen 1 b600. it has a sorpion pipe and its running a little rich. last season it started making a ticking noise. so i did the vavle adjust ment they were good. so this year i put in new plugs and is still dose it. but not all of the time its in the motor its allmost like a miss but it runs fine so i can t figure it out. it will do it at one stop like and not the next. its weird could it be plug wires or a coil?. thanks

Offline pmackie

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
weird ticking noise
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2007, 12:58:36 AM »
Is it a mechanical "tick", or more of a stutter or vibration from the engine? Could it be a leak from the exhaust? That would be more a "shoost" sound, less mechanical.

You can use a long screw driver held between your ear and the engine in various areas to narrow down a mechanical sound.
Paul
2002-GSF600S, Progressive Fork Springs, B12 Shock,
SS Brake lines, EBC HH pads, Leo Vince Ex & Kappa bags.
Ex Bike Mechanic (late 70's), somewhat rusty
32 years in the Fuel/lubes industry(Retired)

Offline chupacabra

• Board Homesteader!
weird ticking noise
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2007, 04:55:28 AM »
Or is this "tick" more like a spark jumping out of the lead to ground? Check your spark plug wires for rub marks, cracks or wear marks. Check that the leads are connected correctly, pushed all the way onto the spark plug.
Dave . . . San Diego, California
1996 GSF600S Marble Italian Red
I bought new in sept of 95
D.I.D. 530ZVM gold x-ring chain
Pirelli Diablo 120/60F & Strada 160/60R
Progressive fork springs
H.S. HD rear axle nut & washer
Hole Shot 17" comp1 can

Offline Bezzer

• TURBO TYPER!
weird ticking noise
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2007, 06:28:37 PM »
Check the header bolts and retorque them, that's the most usual cause of a "tick"
95% of all Harley Davidsons ever made are still on the road....the other 5% made it home.