Author Topic: What Oil?  (Read 6065 times)

Offline Mohan

• New user!
What Oil?
« on: August 23, 2006, 07:33:08 PM »
Hi Everybody, can you guess! Yes my first post. This question has probably been asked a million times before but what oil do you reccomend for the Bandit? I've got a 2000 GSX1200Y (praps the bastard son of a Bandit GSX1400 tryst) with 6000k on it when I brought it. Have just given it an oil and filter change, using Castrol GPS Synthetic but Have got the idea from a very bad translation of a German site that fully synthetic is not the way to go. Your thoughts? or could you point out where the info is on the site. Thanks Guys and Gals :beers:

Offline jeepskate99

• Board Homesteader!
What Oil?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2006, 08:05:42 PM »
Take some time and search or read the archives.  I run a synthetic but not saying that is the way to go.  Just what I like to do.
There are no stupid questions,  only stupid people asking questions!

Offline Elmojo

• TURBO TYPER!
What Oil?
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2006, 10:56:12 PM »
I agree with jeepskate99, there is LOTS of great oil info on this site.
The short answer is that I use Shell Rotella T Synthetic diesel oil in 5w40 or 15w40 depending on summer/winter.
I won't even begin to try to explain the reason for using this oddball oil in a bike, but if you search around here enough, you'll probably stumble upon it.
I also ONLY use Suzuki filters, but that's because I can't find anything better in my area. Search around for filter info also.

Oh, and welcome to the board!

Elmojo

Offline tacoman

• Board Homesteader!
oil
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2006, 04:03:21 PM »
If you want to go on the cheap Golden Spectro makes a good 10-40w that I've had good luck with.  Its petro based but it is formulated for bikes.  Watch out for some of the automotive oils as they can have detergents in them which can cause your clutch to slip.  I've had good luck with Emgo filters and the price is right.  Plus, for no extra cost you can get them in chrome for a little extra bling!

Offline 0to60

• TURBO TYPER!
What Oil?
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2006, 05:19:50 PM »
Honda oil 10-40 is an excellent choice. However the shop I go to won't be able to order it, so I've changed to Silkolen 10-40. It seems to work pretty good.

:motorsmile:  :motorsmile:

The only thing that matters is how fast you can get from 0 to 60, because top speed is secondary
The only thing that matters is how fast you can get from 0 to 60, because top speed is secondary

Offline StangMATA

• Board Homesteader!
What Oil?
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2006, 06:08:11 PM »
Honda GN4. It's all I run for dino oil.
Ian<br />USAF<br />2003 Silver Bandit 1200s<br />D&D slip-on. Busa Shock. Mostly Stock <br/> www.BuckNakedOffroad.com

Offline Bazza

• Board Homesteader!
What Oil?
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2006, 08:29:27 PM »
I have been running Mobil 1 MX4T in my Bandit since the 2nd oil change. MX4T is a motorcycle specific, full synthetic oil.
I have had no issues at all.

Offline jeepskate99

• Board Homesteader!
What Oil?
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2006, 08:34:30 PM »
Quote from: Bazza
I have been running Mobil 1 MX4T in my Bandit since the 2nd oil change. I have had no issues at all.

+1.  No cam pitting here!!
There are no stupid questions,  only stupid people asking questions!

Offline Bazza

• Board Homesteader!
What Oil?
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2006, 08:46:10 PM »
Quote from: jeepskate99
Quote from: Bazza
I have been running Mobil 1 MX4T in my Bandit since the 2nd oil change. I have had no issues at all.

+1.  No cam pitting here!!

As an ex machine shop employee who used to polish cams, I can tell you that the cam pitting issue is not at all oil related. Cam pitting is a result of what happens when they chrome the cam lobes & journals and ferous metal is present on the surfaces. Basically your cam is corroding from the inside out which causes the chrome on the surface of the lobes to flake off.

Please do not confuse the chrome I am mentioning with the shiney stuff on Harleys. I should actually say hardending treatment.

I have seen this occur on just about any type of engine crankshaft or camshaft, and also on hydraulic rams. And most of the stuff I worked on never saw synthetic oil.

I just sold my 1983 Honda V-45 with pitted cams (it never saw synthetic oil) and my Bandit has two pitted cam lobes. (never saw anything but synthetic oil) The fact that my Bandit has only two pitted cam lobes (and not all of them) would sort of back up my theory!

Offline StangMATA

• Board Homesteader!
What Oil?
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2006, 08:56:08 PM »
Honda HP-4 Semi-synthetic 10W-40
Ian<br />USAF<br />2003 Silver Bandit 1200s<br />D&D slip-on. Busa Shock. Mostly Stock <br/> www.BuckNakedOffroad.com