Author Topic: Aiming Headlights  (Read 5322 times)

Offline naf02b12

• TURBO TYPER!
Aiming Headlights
« on: October 04, 2005, 02:42:43 AM »
I needed to remove the headlights and fairing recently, and found that after I put everything back together, the headlights are no longer aiming in the right direction.  I have the manuals so I can figure out how to adjust them, but  (forgive the question, if it's obvious!) how do I know when they are aimed correctly?  Should I just eyeball it with the lights shining against a wall and make the low beam aim a little lower than the high beam?  Thanks in advance for any help.

Nerissa F.
'02 1200S
Nerissa F.
used to have 2002 1200S - blue  :-(

Offline txbanditrydr

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
Aiming Headlights
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2005, 10:36:52 AM »
Just my opinion here FWIW...  I set my low beam to the highest level possible without routinely blinding those ahead of me.  This is subjective and will vary hugely with acceleration but normal riding speed should throw the beam out far enough for you to see the road ahead at posted speed limits.  The high beam is just a matter of preference - mine is set so the bright spot is pretty far ahead.  This will shoot a lot of light up wards so it might look too high but I want to be able to see at night and be seen during the day.

You really can't set them unless it is dark out.  Carry a (I think) 10mm nutdriver and find a good level area to get started.  Ride it a bit and make further adjustments.  Once you are close minor changes can be made shining the light on a garage wall or similar.  One-quarter turns on the adjusting nuts will make a significant difference.  Remember that they are adjustable left to right as well as up and down.

Hope this helps....    :bigok:
'01 B600S ... sold
'05 B1200S ... Top 20 mods... #20 through #2 - All The Usual Ones, Yada, Yada  & #1... 150,000+ Miles and Counting!!!!

Offline oremike

• Board Homesteader!
Headlights
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2005, 11:56:30 AM »
I started with the lights centered in the fixtures, rode a bit at night and made mental notes about what I wanted to change. Rode back to my shop shined the lights on the wall, made the adjustments. Wash, rinse, repeat. BTW I had the fairing sides off at the time made getting to the adjustment screws much easyer.
Ride the roads that make you giggle in your helmet.

Offline naf02b12

• TURBO TYPER!
Aiming Headlights
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2005, 01:21:14 AM »
Thanks, guys!  When I was playing with the lights last night, I noticed the beam looks rather strange.  It's hard to describe, but looks like what a beam might look like if it were trying to be passed through the edge of a lens.  There's a strange shadow sort of through the middle of the high beam.  The low beam is aimed really low.  I can't think of how they might have gotten out of whack, because all I did was remove the bulbs and then the entire headlight unit.  I didn't actually take the unit apart.

I may try to take all the fairings off again and see if I can clean out the inside of the headlight unit, unless someone has another idea?  For right now, I'm avoiding riding at night because the lights are way off.  As I mentioned, the low beam is way too low and the high beam too high and with that odd shadow in the middle.  Weird.

Nerissa F.
'02 1200S
Nerissa F.

Offline oremike

• Board Homesteader!
Head lights
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2005, 01:57:15 AM »
Are you sure you got the right bulbs in the right socket and in the socket correctly? My low beam was pointed wrong when I replaced it, double checked and I didn't have one ear under it's tab correctly. Reinstalled and it worked much better. :duh:
Ride the roads that make you giggle in your helmet.

Offline naf02b12

• TURBO TYPER!
Aiming Headlights
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2005, 12:57:09 AM »
Yes, I'm pretty sure.  I left the bulbs attached to the wiring when I removed the headlight unit, and I've also double-checked the type of bulb.  I believe the bulbs are all the way in, but I'm going to look at everything again this weekend and see what I can figure out.  I was planning on installing new bulbs anyway (new HIR bulbs -- I'll let everyone know how they are).  Thanks for the input!

:thanks:

Nerissa
Nerissa F.

Offline naf02b12

• TURBO TYPER!
Aiming Headlights
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2005, 09:15:40 PM »
Wow!  Those HIR bulbs are a big improvement over stock.  They use the same wattage as the original 9005/6 headlight bulbs but they are way brighter.  They do not have the "blue" tint but the lighting is so much better.  If anyone is interested, go to:

www.finemotoring.com

The guy who sells them has great service and is very prompt with shipping.  He's very willing to answer any questions you might have over email.  They are a little pricey ($29.95 ea), but for me it was worth it to have better lights to see and to be seen.  BTW - I'm not getting paid to advertise his stuff, I've just been really pleased with his product!

I also think I've figured out the weird shadows.  The lights just needed to be adjusted up a little bit.  I also think the next time I take the fairings off I will try to clean out the inside of the headlight assembly.

Keep the shiny side up,
Nerissa
Nerissa F.