Author Topic: Why no fan?  (Read 5143 times)

Offline chippi

• Board Homesteader!
Why no fan?
« on: June 23, 2005, 03:07:12 PM »
Really I think my subject question is self-explanatory. My last bike (Kawi vulcan) had an electric fan. It was nice to know I was not going to overheat in heavy traffic.
WHAT GIVES??? I have a couple of ideas but looking to see if I'm right :?:
Learn from other peoples mistakes...... or you won't be around long enough to make them all yourself!

Offline flip

• Board Homesteader!
Why no fan?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2005, 07:11:35 PM »
no radiator for the fan to cool

Offline PeteSC

• Board Homesteader!
    • SouthChinaLady
Why no fan?
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2005, 10:11:46 PM »
That's an oil cooler on the Bandit 6/12.
  A fan isn't really needed.   If the bike gets too hot, your legs will tell you!
   You'll notice the heat if you ever get stuck in stop/go traffic in a traffc jam.  If the heat seems excessive, pull off and shut the bike down for a while.
 It RARELY happens......but, idling on pavement, in a traffic jam, during the summer, in the south....and you'll notice it!
Spartanburg, SC
'99 Bandit 1200
'03 DR650
I'm really a very hot, sexy,lesbian, trapped in this fat, middle-aged, male body......

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Why no fan?
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2005, 10:14:37 PM »
Quote from: "PeteSC"
It RARELY happens......but, idling on pavement, in a traffic jam, during the summer, in the south....and you'll notice it!

When that happens, just head for the hills to cool it off... lot more fun than being stuck in traffic, too.  :motorsmile:
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline chippi

• Board Homesteader!
Why no fan?
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2005, 12:13:21 AM »
:thanks:
Yeah that is pretty much what I was thinking..... Putting a fan to the oil cooler really wouldn't do much :beers:

:monkeymoon:  I hate traffic  :boohoo:
Learn from other peoples mistakes...... or you won't be around long enough to make them all yourself!

Offline tacoman

• Board Homesteader!
hot
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2005, 02:54:43 PM »
If you're in heavy traffic in hot weather and the bike is cooking your legs, thats real hot.  If you have the opportunity when you're out of the traffic, you may want to take a higher speed spin to get the oil circulating and cooled a bit.  When you shut a bike off it heats up before it cools down (no circulating oil).  I don't know if these things get hot enough for "coking" (oil heated to the point of becoming solid) but in extreme conditions they might.

Offline RUSS M8

• Board Homesteader!
Why no fan?
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2005, 05:05:41 AM »
I think some of the Buell's have fans, despite the fact they are only air/oil cooled (like the Bandit).
BMW air colled twins (boxers) don't have fans, but the ones the Police use do, a lot of sitting around and stuff I spose.
That's impressive,
and I'm not easily impressed.

Look, a blue car!

Offline Daytona

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Why no fan?
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2005, 02:14:05 PM »
Quote from: "chippi"
Really I think my subject question is self-explanatory. My last bike (Kawi vulcan) had an electric fan. It was nice to know I was not going to overheat in heavy traffic.
WHAT GIVES??? I have a couple of ideas but looking to see if I'm right :?:
 I think you have a great idea by using a fan to keep your bike cooler if you got to be in traffic for a long time, day after day! I would find a way around it if i could. Keep in mind the bandit has a great charging sys with the car type alt. But is not able to run a fan at idle in my opinion. The suz intruder is air/oil cooled,no fan, it stays cool enough in traffic! But the Harley (with no oil cooler at all) next to me on speedway BLVD during bike week is cooking the rear cyl! 32K on my 98 bandit b12 and never gave this a thought so maybe its not needed in my neck of the woods. The oil cooling/no rad keeps this bike in the $$ range its in!! :roll:

Offline chippi

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Why no fan?
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2005, 03:45:44 PM »
Quote from: "daytona"
Keep in mind the bandit has a great charging sys with the car type alt. But is not able to run a fan at idle in my opinion. The suz intruder is air/oil cooled,no fan, it stays cool enough in traffic! But the Harley (with no oil cooler at all) next to me on speedway BLVD during bike week is cooking the rear cyl! 32K on my 98 bandit b12 and never gave this a thought so maybe its not needed in my neck of the woods. The oil cooling/no rad keeps this bike in the $$ range its in!! :roll:

Well if you're not overheating in Datona I think I'll just quite my  :crybaby:

Offline B6mick

• Board Homesteader!
Why no fan?
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2005, 06:07:40 AM »
Quote from: "RUSS M8"

BMW air colled twins (boxers) don't have fans, but the ones the Police use do, a lot of sitting around and stuff I spose.

Funny you should mention that, Now this is good for a laugh.
A few of the BMW cop bikes had to have extra fans fitted, cause the poor buggers got a bit hot and burst into flames. Buggers didn't invite me, I would have brought the marsh mellows along. :grin:  :lol:  :grin:  :lol:
Foot loose and fancy free.
Looking for adventure and what ever comes our way.