Author Topic: Winter storage...  (Read 5630 times)

Offline NomisQC

• Board Homesteader!
Winter storage...
« on: October 30, 2007, 05:44:25 PM »
I would have a couple of questions...

1- I can't find Mobil 1 10W-40 or Shell Rottella 5W40....would  5W50 Mobil One oil do the trick ? What about Castrol Syntec ?

2- Is it necessary to put oil in the cylinders by removing the spark plugs ?

3- Is it true you can put high quality oil and just start the season right away in spring or it is better to put cheap oil and do an oil change again in spring...

4- Other than levers and pedals...what would be the lubrification points ?

Thanks !

Bandit 1200S 2004:
  • Leo Vince Evo II Slip-On
  • Stage 1 Jet Kit
  • Hayabusa Rear Shock
  • Rear Wheel Hugger
  • No fender + Rear Blinkers (LP)
  • LED Taillight
  • ProGrip 719 Gel Grips and ProGrip Tank Pad
  • Race Tech Front Springs (Upcoming)
  • Stainless lines (Upcoming)

Offline StangMATA

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Winter storage...
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007, 11:32:47 PM »
1. Whenever I store a motor, I use the same oil that I always do and change it out. When I bring the bike/car/whatever back out, I change it again.

2. I always fog the motor.

3. look back to number 1

4. Anything that moves, give it a little lube. In the spring, grease up all the bearings and moving parts again.
Ian<br />USAF<br />2003 Silver Bandit 1200s<br />D&D slip-on. Busa Shock. Mostly Stock <br/> www.BuckNakedOffroad.com

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007, 11:45:55 AM »
1. The important thing is to not store it with old oil in it. The deposits that accumulate from the combustion process can cause corrosion when sitting for a period of time. As stated above, use what you normally use.

2. Can't hurt. Though I don't, but then I usually get out once a month or so, even in the winter since my winters are pretty mild and if I don't, I'll go out and sart it up once in a while and let it run for a few minutes to burn off any condensation that has accumulated.

3. Due to my procedures in #2, I use my "winter" oil until I've racked up the miles for a change.

4. Throttle & choke cables, chain, steering head, swingarm & suspension bearings & bushings.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline txbanditrydr

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2007, 03:04:23 PM »
Don't forget to top of the fuel tank and add some fuel stabilizer.... prevents condensation and gumming.  Actually, after adding the stabilizer you should start the bike and run it for 10 or so miles to get the "stabbed" gas to the carbs.
'01 B600S ... sold
'05 B1200S ... Top 20 mods... #20 through #2 - All The Usual Ones, Yada, Yada  & #1... 150,000+ Miles and Counting!!!!

Offline Barbarian

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.straightdope.com
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2007, 10:21:02 AM »
I'm planning to put the stabilizer in first, then fill the tank and ride a kilometre home. Should be enough.
2006 650 Bandit S w/ABS

Offline pmackie

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2007, 01:15:52 PM »
Hey NomisQC:

check out this thread from a couple of years ago, it covers lots of things:

http://forums.banditalley.net/index.php?topic=3391.0

1. I prefer Mobil to Castrol Syntec, but you risk starting an oil thread. :stickpoke: Since you live in Canada, I would recommend AGAINST using an SAE 50. My personal favourite - XD-3 0W-40 or Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40, both diesel engine oils.

2. I would recommend AGAINST putting oil down the cylinders. This can lead to extra deposits in the combustion chambers. If it is going to be a long (say 6-12 months), humid, layup, then a commercial lay-up spray is likely a better choice. You spray it down the carb throat.

3. Use your regular oil, and you WON'T need to change it right away in the spring.

4. Remember your chain...
« Last Edit: November 01, 2007, 10:53:18 PM by pmackie »
Paul
2002-GSF600S, Progressive Fork Springs, B12 Shock,
SS Brake lines, EBC HH pads, Leo Vince Ex & Kappa bags.
Ex Bike Mechanic (late 70's), somewhat rusty
32 years in the Fuel/lubes industry(Retired)

Offline Daytona

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2007, 10:28:58 PM »
Hey glad to see the alley is back up :clap: Don't forget the drain under the gas filler cap. If the hose plugs and water is trapped the tube it will split from freezing and you got a big prob. I found the Mobil1 15W50 full synthetic Diesel oil with no modifiers works great in my Bandit! Ok I ain't where it gets that cold but man does it make her shift so smooth all 5K miles i get on it! It ain't that much diff from yours.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2007, 08:49:01 PM by Daytona »

Offline NomisQC

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2007, 08:04:05 PM »
Don't forget the drain under the gas filler cap. If the hose plugs and water is trapped the tube it will split from freezing and you got a big prob.

I did not mention it but the storage will be heated, so no worries about anything freezing....

Thanks for all the replies, the bike is sleeping till early April ! (hopefully not June :wink: )

Bandit 1200S 2004:
  • Leo Vince Evo II Slip-On
  • Stage 1 Jet Kit
  • Hayabusa Rear Shock
  • Rear Wheel Hugger
  • No fender + Rear Blinkers (LP)
  • LED Taillight
  • ProGrip 719 Gel Grips and ProGrip Tank Pad
  • Race Tech Front Springs (Upcoming)
  • Stainless lines (Upcoming)

Offline Snubnose

• Board Homesteader!
  • Cos For why?
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2007, 11:49:05 PM »
Quote from: NomisQC
Thanks for all the replies, the bike is sleeping till early April ! (hopefully not June :wink: )

Alberta Riders this year (us lot anyway!) store officially as of Nov 1st, I'm hoping for mid-march wake up. Both of our bikes are in a heated storage unit (along with 4 others) There'll be a few nights where I'll be tempted to take a sleeping bag out there! :motorsmile:

Changed the oil for Crappy tire 4 stroke motorcycle -(just storing after-all), left the oil filter change for the spring along with fresh suzuki oil then. Filled up with gas and stabil, washed the bike throughly. Going up to lube up moving parts this weekend and rubber band a bag over the muffler , remove the batt and cover the bike up , give her a slap and a tickle to say goodnight for 5 months.
SNUBNOSE, Alberta, Canada
2003 B12S - Silver
Stock 06' pipe
3 shims on each needle
Zero gravity SR
Sw Motech rear rack - V46 Top case
PAIR Block off Kit
Salamander Bar Ends
007 special license plate feature ;)

We are not what we think we are, We are not what others think, but rather, we are what we think others think we are!

Offline H2RICK

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2007, 12:13:05 AM »
I, personally, am not keen on heated storage. Heat with humidity WILL promote corrosion of all kinds. My Bandit gets stored in an ambient-temp garden shed with stabilized gas, fresh oil/filter, pumped up tires (40PSI), plugged muffler, battery and the seat taken into the house. The stabilizer worked great in the gas last winter. She fired right up this spring with no probs.
My other bikes all get the tanks taken off and drained/aired out and then stored in my basement. The Bandit tank is a little much to remove so that's why it gets the stabilizer treatment. I also drain the carbs, even though the gas in them is stabilized. It's just an A/R thing with me.
My next task will be to dismantle the rear suspension and clean and lube all the pivot points. If I'm REALLY inspired, I'm going to drill all the points and put grease nipples/zerks on them so I won't have to disassemble them again in 2 years.  :wink:
Ignorance is curable. Stupidity is terminal.
2006 B12S (my new LD road ride)
1976 Suzuki GT550A Mint/Stock w/5K original miles
1978 Kawasaki KZ650C2 Mint/Stock w/2K original miles
1973 Kawi H2A Semi-hot rod
Various other projects in the wings

Offline Vlad

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2007, 10:02:39 PM »
Changed the oil for Crappy tire 4 stroke motorcycle -(just storing after-all), left the oil filter change for the spring along with fresh suzuki oil then. Filled up with gas and stabil, washed the bike throughly. Going up to lube up moving parts this weekend and rubber band a bag over the muffler , remove the batt and cover the bike up , give her a slap and a tickle to say goodnight for 5 months.

This was exactly what I used to do before, apart from the oil change that I find redundant. However, since we had at least twenty decent riding days in the last two winters here in Toronto (New Year day 2007 was warm enough to ride comfortably) and I have full heated gear now...

- Fill the tank
- Plug the exhaust
- Connect the battery to a trickle charger (in my case a solar panel hanging on the overhead light fixture :) )
- I almost always park on the center stand, but especially recommend it for longer storage.
- Run once a month or so just to make sure it won't give me any trouble when a warm day surprises us :)
- No washing, lubing, premature oil changes, covers, etc.

The bike is in a dry, well aired and pretty dust free unheated underground garage (temperature always above freezing)

My logic is why bother when I'm going to get my next bike much sooner than the Bandit will have a chance to develop any problems. It has 57.000Km and I plan to rack up much more, so it's not like I'm protecting a major investment either.

People reed too much into stuff and most don't read very well too.
Vlad lives in Toronto, Canada and rides http://bandit.xxc.cc

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2007, 11:50:52 PM »
http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/tech/winter_storage/index.html

Just got that from my BikeBandit newsletter...
stormi

Dita - 91 Bandit 400 - SOLD
Blue - 02 Hornet 919 - Perfect Gentleman
02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390
17 Husky TC85 converted to 105

Electrosport Charging System Test - it really works

Offline Vlad

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2007, 12:26:30 AM »
http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/tech/winter_storage/index.html

Just got that from my BikeBandit newsletter...

This article illustrates my point perfectly. The guy writes too much for those who read too much (no offense). There are some interesting points, but:

... pour some heavy (50-weight or thicker) oil into the empty tank (some people thin it with fuel) and slosh it around so all the interior surfaces are coated. Turn the petcock on and drain the excess oil, and then turn it off. Since your tank is off, you might as well leave it off and repeat the sloshing process every few weeks. Before you fill the tank in the spring, drain the oil that has settled again. ...

I have a better idea that not only prevents rust but also gets rid of it if it's in the tank already. It involves an old chain, some acid and color primer and is very effective. Doesn't take as much time either.

Gimme a friggin' break! :)

Offline Vlad

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2007, 12:31:59 AM »
And here's another piece of total bull:

... If a Battery Tender isn't in your budget (though it will pay for itself, probably by spring), plug a trickle charger into something that is turned on frequently -- such as the light socket on the garage-door opener or the light source in the place it's stored. Or, plug it into a light timer that will turn it on for 30 minutes a day. If none of these methods is convenient, trickle-charge it overnight every two weeks or so. If the storage place gets really cold, you might want to take the battery inside and put it somewhere where it won't alarm your spouse. ...

I don't even know where to begin on this one - it's just so full of half truths and totally missleading.