Author Topic: Bandit 1250 seat  (Read 9976 times)

Offline wilinfla

• TURBO TYPER!
Bandit 1250 seat
« on: November 21, 2007, 11:39:35 PM »
Is anyone using an aftermarket seat on their 1250? I love my bike, but I am going to have to do something about the seat. I did 150 miles today and the seat just isn't going to work for multiple days in the saddle and 400 mile days. I am thinking about memory foam or purchasing a complete new seat, any recomendations?
Will

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • GUNNER G. CWO4 WEPS USCG Retired
Re: Bandit 1250 seat
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2007, 12:36:47 AM »
I haven't gotten around to it yet but I plan to pull the seat cover and with a 1/2 drill honey comb the seat foam evenly from the top and sides. Something I have done to my dirt bike seats that work great and saves the coast of buying memory foam. Very easy to re-staple because the same cover is already stretch to fit and the staple holes already in place to line up like number painting, and its free. Also you cant mess it up as the alternative is a new foam and cover or an entire seat which cost $200-$500. Here is a copy of my post at Thumper Talk where I lowered the density of my hard foam seat, titled "How to make your hard stock seat soft". The principal is exactly the same only easier since the seat section is much shorter on the B1250.
How to make your hard stock seat soft
When it comes to modern stock dirt bike seats they all seem a bit hard to me on the trail and as a result I reupholstered both my DRZs and my RM 100 seats with Guts Tall Soft foam and covers which worked well. But I realized that not only did I have to spend $100 for the supplies but also was left with perfectly good stock seat cushions and covers I could no longer use. So this time I decided to try and use the old cushion and cover before investing more money. Surely if a seat cushion can be trimmed down with a razor to make it lower it can also be made softer by Swiss cheesing the cushion with a drill gun. The results were better then I expected with no visible changes once the seat cover was replaced. The key is to not drill through the plastic seat frame and to be aggressive but not overdue it. Its now defiantly softer and yet not compromised and not bottoming out. So I guess I saved myself $100.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2007, 02:37:58 AM by CWO4GUNNER »

Offline skyrider

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2007, 01:47:20 AM »
We recently had a new interior put into an airplane and the guy who did the work, did a quick mod to my 1250 seat.  He cut two lateral slices about 6 inches apart where my butt sits.  Then, he cut-in/glued blue memory foam and recovered using the same cover.  Using the same cover almost didn't work because the memory foam piece was just slightly over size and it was enough that the front seams almost didn't work out.  Nonetheless, it seems to be better, but I haven't done any serious time in the seat.

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2007, 02:31:26 AM »
Well thats a good example of what you can do to improve what you already have as there are many alternatives before chucking the old seat and spending hundreds. In addition you get to learn something new which to be honest on the scale of 1-5 doing it yourself these jobs are about are about a 3 and requires only a screw driver, needle nose pliers, a stable gun and short sharp staples, and a little patience. After trying out the lowered density mod I did basically what your talking about and ordered a 3x12 inch section of gel for $30 on ebay and cut a bed section on the top and laid it in as you can see here in my follow up.

Here is part 2 of how to make your free stock seat soft. As you recall my hole drilling of the foam had good results but I thought why not go all out and try my hand at upholstery gel inserts which I purchased on Ebay for $30 delivered. As you can see I removed a 1/2 inch section of foam to accommodate the gel inserts which I cut to 3x12 inches placed in the center to relieve tail bone pressure. using a taped off razor blade to 1/2 inch depth I traced then cut out the section of foam which was easier then I thought but also messy. I used the trimmings to fill in areas I cut too deep. The result were great cosmetically and the ride was really improved as hard jolts were suppressed by the gel. So far the investment for a seat that would have cost me at least $200 is $30 worth of gel some staples and experiences upholstering (priceless).

So when I get around to doing my B1250 seat I will do both the drilling out and the gel insert and post a change here to replace this 450x example.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2007, 02:39:38 AM by CWO4GUNNER »

Offline wilinfla

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2007, 10:57:28 AM »
Thanks for the ideas, I definitely have to do something. I have to check with one of my co-workers, she has an upholstery business on the side and I have heard they do memory foam on motorcycle seats. Maybe I can get it done for a good price.
Will

Offline algore

• New user!
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2008, 05:22:35 AM »
Just received my Rick Mayer seat.  Outstanding!

Offline roberto

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2008, 01:18:04 PM »
Had Spencers redo my riders seat. Reshaped foam and added gel, quite nice. I had, prior to the mod, moved the rubber adjusters to raise only the front of the seat to stop me from sliding into the tank. Now that Spencer has done his thing I was able to lower my front adjusters without sliding into the tank. Gives me a lower seat, more comfort and for a reasonable fee of $75.00.

Offline Bandit1250

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2008, 04:34:02 AM »
I know everyone's different but usually a HARD seat is BETTER for long distance riding.
The CORBINS are ROCK hard.......when I first got one for my Kawasaki ZRX I though "no way this seat is NOT comfy, it's too hard"!!  But my friend had one and he told me to ride it for awhile and it will feel great once you get used to it.

He was RIGHT.

With the " soft" stock seat I could only do about 60 miles before my butt started to get sore......with the hard CORBIN I could do about 150 before I felt anything.

Here's another example........Toyota 4Runners have HARD FIRM seat bottems, I had a new one and had to drive up North past San Francisco about 900 miles.....I thought my butt would be sore in that hard seat all day but surprisingly it wasn't!!

So it seems a FIRM seat is better for long distances than a "soft" one.

One note about GEL seats.......they get REALLY HOT in the Sun, especially in Summer! The GEL cooks in the seat!
I know a couple guys that have them and they have to cover the seats when they stop for a break cuz they can't sit on them if they don't!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2008, 04:40:32 AM by Bandit1250 »
Past Pleasures....all memories
2006 Triumph Sprint ST1050
2004 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
1984 Honda V651100 Sabre
1986 Kawaski Vulcan 750N
1982 Suzuki GS750EZ
1974 Suzuki GT380 2 stroke street

Offline roberto

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2008, 09:59:50 AM »
I'm sure there is allot of truth to Bandit1250's remarks. I can tell you that Spencers mod doesn't make the seat softer but he does reshape it so your not being driven into the tank which is nice. I don't know too much about gel in real hot weather, I do know that living in Vancouver "hot seats" are not a problem. Also Spencer will reshape the seat without adding gel for $50.00. I also have had a Corbin seat and generally I would agree that firmer is better.

Offline v11tom

• New user!
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2008, 08:46:11 AM »
 :clapI :I just received my seat back from Bill Mayer and its great, I have only put 500 miles on it so far I am no longer looking forward to putting gas in just to get off the seat. The saddle as they call it is first rate quality. I have had two corbins in the past and (sorry corbin) but there is no comparison.I am suprised at the difference.
Hey I am from Sioux Falls SD, is there anyone out there close to me?

Offline roberto

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2008, 11:17:59 AM »
Bill Mayer seat eh! Can you give a little more info on the seat. Pic's if possible and price.

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2008, 02:55:46 PM »
With respect to the photo above showing a gel insert to my dirt bike which worked quite well, I have come to realize that the application of seat mods between dirt bikes and touring bike require quite different materials. On a dirt bike your constantly standing and use of the seat limited so heat build up and soft seat problems are not an issue but a benefit in constant kidney pounding terrain.
   Too soft a touring bike seat will provide poor support for your back muscles that struggle to support you on a soft foundation. Because of the constant sitting heat build up in the seat can be made worse by a gel insert with no foam barrier between the hot vinyl seat cover that also complicates heat build up because vinyl doesn't breath. The stock B1250 seat is a well made seat with firm but comfortable foam for long rides, the problem is the vinyl seat cover which needs to be replaced by a air breathable water resistant cloth cover similar to what they use on modern cloth top convertible top automobiles. A breathable cover would make a big difference in long distance comfort, especially in the extremes of winter and summer. If I do reupholster my B1250 seat, it will be with a breathable black cloth cover, not with vinyl.

Offline banditone1250s

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2008, 02:10:20 PM »
  I also ride a Bandit 1250S and I do think that there are more comfortable seats out there however I have put in a couple of 500-600 mile days and here I am to tell about it...Banditone1250S...

There is a thin line between fear and respect....Feel free to drift across it every now and then...
There is a thin line between fear and respect...feel free to drift across it every now and then...

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2008, 04:34:22 PM »
Let me add that I discovered the vinyl problem as a result of wearing foam padded impact shorts (skiers shorts). The foam padded shorts originally worn to stave off skin damage in a fall also resulted is a much more comfortable ride over long distances because the foam sections in the padded shorts actually allowed more ventilation and less sore spot build up when riding against air tight vinyl over long periods which restricts circulation and fatigues the skin. So whats needed is a seat with an irregular textured foam surface and synthetic cloth cover, just like the shorts I believe it will make for a much more comfortable ride. You think your ride is comfortable with your vinyl set up custom or stock, you'll be shocked at the difference if you wear a pair of these shorts over your long pants (not underwear). Because they are spandex they slip on and off long pants with boots easily (5 seconds) without undressing.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 04:41:27 PM by CWO4GUNNER »