Author Topic: Bandit Died  (Read 4821 times)

Offline Katamaniac

• Board Homesteader!
Bandit Died
« on: July 14, 2008, 01:24:48 PM »
I was on my home yesterday and my Bandit died about 1/4 mile from the place that I left. I cranked it for a about 40 seconds and it fired back up. Jut before it died, it acted like it was running out of fuel. The tank was full. Then about 1/2 mile later it started to cut out. I kept it running by keeping the revs up. That second time lasted about 15 seconds. I rode it to work this moring with no problems.

Has anyone has this problem with their B1250? Could the issue be bad gas or maybe water in the fuel tank?
2006 Honda ST1300

1993 Suzuki GSF400 Bandit

Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Offline pmackie

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Re: Bandit Died
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 03:38:36 PM »
A plugged or restricted tank vent line can cause the problems you describe. Next time it happens, open the tank cap and listen for a "whoosh" or similar.

Or check the in-line fuel filter (does the 1250 have one?).
Paul
2002-GSF600S, Progressive Fork Springs, B12 Shock,
SS Brake lines, EBC HH pads, Leo Vince Ex & Kappa bags.
Ex Bike Mechanic (late 70's), somewhat rusty
32 years in the Fuel/lubes industry(Retired)

Offline Katamaniac

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 04:34:01 PM »
There is no in-line fuel filter and the 1250 has a fuel pump.
2006 Honda ST1300

Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Offline Ray Mooney

• Watch their mirrors!
  • Board Homesteader!
  • A man's got to know his limitations.
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 01:40:43 PM »
Mine hasn't died, but on a couple of occasions I've been hitting the highway on-ramp headed for work and the engine has bogged down like you described, as if it was running out of gas. After a few seconds, it recovered and I was on my way. The odd thing is, it happened in exactly the same spot on the highway both times. Very weird. Anyway, it hasn't happened in a couple months and I chalked it up to gremlins.
Ray Mooney
'07 Bandit 1250S

Previous bikes: '03 Vmax, '01 Bandit 1200, '99 Bandit 1200, '97 Vmax, '82 Yamaha Seca 650

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • GUNNER G. CWO4 WEPS USCG Retired
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 01:14:25 AM »
I always add an ounce of injector/Carb additive to tank every other fill up to all my bikes and it really seems to make a difference compared to if I don't add it. especially in my quad I let sit a while between short rides and a tank gets used up too slowly I also add fuel conditioner. Gas turns into funny stuff when it sits too long, just like an old sandwich in the frig.

Offline Katamaniac

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 10:15:29 AM »
My bandit hasn't set more than a week since I have had it. I think what happened was there was too much fuel in the tank and it expanded after setting in the hot sun all day and blocked the fuel vent in the tank cap. I haven't had a problem with it since that one time.

It was very kind of freaky when it happened because that bike has been very reliable since the day I got it. Other than tires, modifications and general maintenance, I have not had to turn a wrench on it since day 1.
2006 Honda ST1300

Offline banditone1250s

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 06:19:50 PM »
  I did start to have the same type of problem with my '07 and it started right after I had the plugs changed for the first time. It does feel a little like it is running out of gas and by keeping the rev's up it finally takes off and seems to do fine. I have taken to letting it have a little more warm-up time and that has seemed to fix the problem. It has not done it again since I have started giving it a little more time to warm up. I guess that the plugs that are replaced in the bike are not exactly like the plugs that came in the bike because that is the only difference that I have experienced with the Bandit...

There is a thin line between fear and respect....Feel free to drift across it every now and then....
There is a thin line between fear and respect...feel free to drift across it every now and then...

Offline crazycletus

• Board Regular!
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2008, 10:41:57 PM »
I had a very similar thing happen to me today. I was cruzing along on my B6 at about 70MPH and all of the sudden I couldnt get the RPM above 5 or 6K. I down shifted, I tried bumping the clutch until finally it died. So as I sat on the side of the road waiting for someone to come and get me. I gave it another shot and it fired right up. It reved normal and was just fine. So I finished my trip home and parked it. Im gonna let her cool down and go pull the tank off and see whats up! Honestly it acted alot like a bike does when its overheating. Which is strange considering I was by myself on the interstate cruzing along.