Author Topic: Chain lube  (Read 4119 times)

Offline Buckshot

• TURBO TYPER!
Chain lube
« on: April 26, 2008, 10:25:26 PM »
So I got a new 1250 and wondering what I should use to keep the chain in good condition.  These are two of my thoughts, products made by GUNK:

L512C - Liquid Wrench Dry Lube with PTFE
Long Lasting dry lubricant film.  Superior lubricity with no oily residue.  This formula will not collect dust.

L716 - Gunk Industrial Chain Lube With Moly
A superior heavy-duty lubricant formulated for chains, cables and wherever extreme pressure/temperature occur. Can easily be applied by spraying on surfaces. Contains small particles of molybdenum disulfide (MOLY) which provide reduced friction lubrication.

Thoughts?

And how often should I lube it?
08 1250 SA

Offline Mongo

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Chain lube
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 10:00:46 AM »
I use Motorex Chain Clean 611 to make it squeaky clean then follow up wih Maxima Chain Wax. I try to do it every 600 miles? :bandit:
02 1200 Fighter
Do chickens fly? Yea and a Hell of a lot faster than reindeer!!!!

Offline RichB in AZ

• New user!
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008, 10:35:42 AM »
I'm actually using the suzuki chain spray product. But generally they all work.
I have used the honda chain wax in the past and it works well and has a low fling rate.
I have also used PJ1 which worked, but fling rate is high and the mess is sticky.

The suzuki stuff is somewhere between the 2, it has a medium to high fling rate and the mess is sticky. I usually reapply when the coating has vanished from the chain rollers, which is about every 600 miles. I will probably switch back to a wax when this can is empty (long time as it's a big can)

I don't bother cleaning the chain as I figure all that does is move the grit trapped in the chain lube still left on the chain into the O or X rings.

Others swear by the oil lube systems, but I've only seen 1 or 2 reports of extended chain mileage when using these, so I'm not convinced they are worth it. Perhaps if you do a lot of driving in the rain they would help??

On a safety note... It looks like this might be your first experience with lubing chains on bikes???. If it is... Don't do it with the engine running and the bike in gear. This is a recipie for disaster. Just spin the rear wheel by hand and aim the spray at the outer o-rings, then the inner o-rings.
Rich

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 12:42:38 PM »
I lube mine every other tank of gas and clean it with WD-40 or kerosene whenever it starts looking grungy.
I use the Honda chain lube in the Red can.  It's low fling, not a big dirt magnet and well rated it the chain lube shootout MCN did a few years ago.

Check out this thread for the shootout:
http://forums.banditalley.net/index.php?topic=309.0
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)