Author Topic: Handle bars for 1250 and other comfort seeking solutions.  (Read 7028 times)

Offline icemakk

• Board Homesteader!
    • My web site
Handle bars for 1250 and other comfort seeking solutions.
« on: August 23, 2009, 02:09:03 PM »
I am 6'3" which makes me freakishly tall to a Japanese manufacturer. As such my Bandit feels cramped at times. I have rotated the stock bars forward almost 2 inches to give more arm room but at times it is not enough. Looking for a flatter set of bars that will increase the reach without interfering with the fairing. Anyone have any luck with this? One of my winter projects is to increase comfort.

Other plans are to put on the Buell pegs as on this thread:
http://forums.banditalley.net/index.php?topic=9057.0
Also getting the seat re-done locally with custom cover and gel pad plus increase of at least 1/2 inch of padding.
Currently the seat is set on its highest setting which may work for a 5'1-" guy but it is not enough and I am looking into modifying it with home made brackets to raise it a bit more. Anyone ever do this? Any suggestions before I start to butcher the seat?

Lastly I am looking for a place to install some highway pegs to stretch a bit but with the fairing lowers it seems like there is no place to mount any. Has anyone had luck with mounting some pegs on a Bandit?
Once I thought I was wrong...but I was mistaken.

Offline JamieK

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Re: Handle bars for 1250 and other comfort seeking solutions.
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 05:46:45 PM »
I like the Bikemaster Superbike bars.
Jamie K in Edmonton<br />06 B12S, Full Muzzy, Stage 1 jets, Timing Advancer

Offline Jester

• Kevin McCann
  • Board Homesteader!
  • Me and my GSF1250S ABS K7
    • Jester Online
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 01:47:15 AM »
I am 6'3" which makes me freakishly tall to a Japanese manufacturer. As such my Bandit feels cramped at times. I have rotated the stock bars forward almost 2 inches to give more arm room but at times it is not enough.

You sure you're only 6'3"? I'm 6' 2 1/2" and I'm quite comfortable with the stock bars. I'd love another 1/2" of leg room though, I did try the spin the footpeg mods from the other threads on Bandit Alley and other boards but, I couldn't adjust the gear shift into a position where it was comfortable for shifting so I had to change it back. The Buell pegs mod might be the way to go.
2007 Suzuki Bandit GSF1250S ABS
"Keep the rubber side down!"

Offline Dmaxhall

• Board Regular!
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009, 08:50:28 AM »
Regarding mounting points for highway pegs, a bloke on TWTEX is a gun machinist has started a site catered towards bandits.
He has some mount adapters that fit at the lower engine mounts. Supply your own highway pegs.
Try www.metrickmetal.com

"It is dangerous to be right
 in matters on which the
 established authorities are wrong"
                                                       Voltaire

Offline 08k8

• First Post! Be Gentle!
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2010, 06:25:52 PM »
On Maximum Suzuki, a lot of people are talking about the bikemaster daytona bars.  Can order them @ local shop, JC whitney and so on.  they are about $25 and worth it.  You will achieve a 1" vertical rise. (I compared measurements from the floor before and after.)  I cut 3/4" off of each end and painted inside the bar before installing.

I've not noticed this on any thread but, you can remove your foot peg mounting bracket and flip it upside down.  This is a big winner in my book- you move the surface of the peg down about 3/4".  Its all the help that my knees needed.  (I have the seat in the high position)

My previous bike was a Buell.  They are discontinuing a LOT of parts for those bikes. I recommend buying the Ulysis pegs, they are the best of all.  Many of the buell pegs are cheap pot metal.

Offline icemakk

• Board Homesteader!
    • My web site
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2010, 06:49:35 PM »
I am 6'3" which makes me freakishly tall to a Japanese manufacturer. As such my Bandit feels cramped at times. I have rotated the stock bars forward almost 2 inches to give more arm room but at times it is not enough.

You sure you're only 6'3"? I'm 6' 2 1/2" and I'm quite comfortable with the stock bars. I'd love another 1/2" of leg room though, I did try the spin the footpeg mods from the other threads on Bandit Alley and other boards but, I couldn't adjust the gear shift into a position where it was comfortable for shifting so I had to change it back. The Buell pegs mod might be the way to go.
It could be a difference in arm length or other factor. My beloved Suzy B has since been murdered and written off by a bad driver. I made the crash into an episode of my web show
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bK7wmETnbb4
I often would do 3 tank days, which equates to around 1000km so any extra comfort helps and any slight discomfort will get annoying by hour 8. That being said, with a few minor tweaks the Bandit made a great long distance tourer and this summer I wracked up 22,000km before the cage hit me.
Check out the web show through the link. Just shopping for a new ride now.
Once I thought I was wrong...but I was mistaken.