Author Topic: Clutch liquid dirty  (Read 5599 times)

Offline regaliz2

• Board Regular!
Clutch liquid dirty
« on: August 29, 2008, 07:10:53 PM »
Hi all,

I have found that the clutch liquid is becoming quite dirty, the liquid of the brakes is like the first day but the one from the clutch is quite black. Is this normal?, my bike is 6000 km

:thanks:
V'ssss

Offline txbanditrydr

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
Re: Clutch liquid dirty
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 11:37:20 PM »
Yup.... pretty normal in my experience.  Not exactly sure why but several people have reported the same thing.  It's very easy to bleed the old stuff out but you'll want to tape lots of plastic sheeting on the bike since brake fluid will destroy a paint finish almost instantly.
'01 B600S ... sold
'05 B1200S ... Top 20 mods... #20 through #2 - All The Usual Ones, Yada, Yada  & #1... 150,000+ Miles and Counting!!!!

Offline smooth operator

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2008, 07:31:29 AM »
 My buddy w/the bike shop has a pnumatic bleeder, if you know anyone you can borrow one from its great. hardly any mess(still protect your paint just incase) Just suck it out as you put fresh in untill its clean. I do mine every year in the winter.

Offline regaliz2

• Board Regular!
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2008, 05:02:15 AM »

So you would change the liquid?, I used to change myself the brake liquid with a tool I bought from www.louis.de and it is straightfordward. I suspect that the new liquid will be black in a short time again.

Thanks for your help
V'ssss

Offline smooth operator

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2008, 07:06:37 AM »

So you would change the liquid?, I used to change myself the brake liquid with a tool I bought from www.louis.de and it is straightfordward. I suspect that the new liquid will be black in a short time again.

Thanks for your help

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • GUNNER G. CWO4 WEPS USCG Retired
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2008, 12:07:32 PM »
Wow, strange. I still have the same OEM brake fluid in mine and the sight glass color between the brake and clutch are identical, light tan clear and clean. Since I live in SW Arizona I wonder if It has anything to do with mild or cold winters or if being a skilled dirt biker has me handling the clutch differently. I almost never feather the clutch while applying max power but am always locked up first to save ware and tear on the clutch and Iv never been one to use too much lever, maybe thats it.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 12:21:08 PM by CWO4GUNNER »

Offline A1A

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2008, 07:09:52 PM »
I was just looking at my clutch fluid as compared to the brake fluid after my ride today. :yikes: The clutch fluid is very dark as well and wonder if I'll make it to the two year  maintenance replacement interval. The bike will be 1 year old Oct 31, 2008 and only has 6,121 miles on the odometer. I probably ride 60% city and 40% highway. I ride the bike normal and do not over load the clutch. When sitting at traffic lights clutch lever is released to keep heat buildup to a minimum.
I'm keeping a close eye on the clutch fluid and when necessary will flush and replace with a quality DOT 4 synthetic brake fluid.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 07:16:58 PM by A1A »
Richard
07 Red Bandit 1250S
05 Blue DL650
04 Yellow SV650N
00 Copper/Black VS1400 Intruder
58 HD Sportster H

Offline txbanditrydr

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2008, 08:54:42 PM »
Well.... we all can't be as "skilled" as gunner...  :rofl: :stickpoke:  (joke)

The clutch does see more "action" than the brake over a period of time.  I was surprised when my brand new bike showed totally black clutch fluid at less than 4,000 miles but it never impeded the performance.  The first time was the worst by far - since then I've gone a lot further between flushes.
'01 B600S ... sold
'05 B1200S ... Top 20 mods... #20 through #2 - All The Usual Ones, Yada, Yada  & #1... 150,000+ Miles and Counting!!!!

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • GUNNER G. CWO4 WEPS USCG Retired
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2008, 12:50:16 AM »
I never engine brake unless I have to as I find it much easier to replace brake pads then clutch kits especially in cars and trucks. But there was a time in my younger days (16) when I liked fantasizing about being a big rig driver, grand prix racer, or super bowl MX'r.  After replacing my first clutch and associated parts, I got over that stage in my life early and started using the brakes and replacing pads instead and never looked back. Actually made me a better rider since I diden't have to unload the engine it was alway ready.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 12:53:03 AM by CWO4GUNNER »

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2008, 12:35:39 PM »
Like most others, my bike exhibited this same condition.  When I put braided lines on last year (clutch included), I put in Valvoline SynPower fluid, a synthetic Super DOT 4.  So far, the clutch and brake reserviors still look as clean as the day it was installed. 
(Sadly, Valvoline has discontinued their SynPower brake fluid - or at least it no longer appears on their web site.)
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline A1A

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2008, 10:53:09 AM »
Like most others, my bike exhibited this same condition.  When I put braided lines on last year (clutch included), I put in Valvoline SynPower fluid, a synthetic Super DOT 4.  So far, the clutch and brake reserviors still look as clean as the day it was installed. 
(Sadly, Valvoline has discontinued their SynPower brake fluid - or at least it no longer appears on their web site.)

That is exactly what I did with my VS1400 Intruder. New braided stainless lines and Valvoline SynPower Fluid. That stuff works great and I'm surprised and disappointed to hear it has been discontinued. As I was going to use the Valvoline SynPower with the Bandit 1250.
Richard
07 Red Bandit 1250S
05 Blue DL650
04 Yellow SV650N
00 Copper/Black VS1400 Intruder
58 HD Sportster H

Offline doublenaughtspy

• Board Homesteader!
Careful/Clutch liquid dirty
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2008, 05:46:43 PM »
Remember that you have to remove the slave and clamp it to "pump and bleed" if you don't have a Mitey Mite or similar vacuum pump.  Unlike the brake calipers, it's spring-loaded and has to be made immovable to be effective.  Otherwise you run the risk of sucking air back in when you open the nipple.   :welcome: