Author Topic: More Passenger Room  (Read 6432 times)

Offline SteelD

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • Route 66 in 2010
More Passenger Room
« on: June 15, 2008, 12:48:42 PM »
Well, I ran a poll to try to get more info and there didn't seem to be many folk out there with the SW Motech rack fitted. Anyhow, my complaint is that the OEM rack mounts the top case too close to the seat and, with the backrest fitted, the pasenger has just over half the seat available.

After researching the available options, the SW Motech rack seemed the best alternative. So, here are a couple of shots showing the OEM rack and the SW Motech rack with a line drawn to indicate how far back the pasenger can sit.

David
Bandit 1250SAK7 Graphite Metallic Blue (YLE)

Offline Snubnose

• Board Homesteader!
  • Cos For why?
Re: More Passenger Room
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2008, 03:24:31 PM »
Anyhow, my complaint is that the OEM rack mounts the top case too close to the seat and, with the backrest fitted, the pasenger has just over half the seat available.

Just be careful, now that the whole assembly is rested on those two points on the TC rack, thats alot of pressure should the case be loaded AND someone is leaning against it. I had a similar set-up on my G2 1200 by Krauser (twisted throttle) and my rack fractured and pulled away from the mainframe inside after riding two up. I had to get my TC rack welded and boxed before I could use it again. Suzuki may have heard the complaints and made the necessary mods so that the G3's might have a stronger TC rack than the G2's did.

http://members.shaw.ca/simonjones/issue.htm
SNUBNOSE, Alberta, Canada
2003 B12S - Silver
Stock 06' pipe
3 shims on each needle
Zero gravity SR
Sw Motech rear rack - V46 Top case
PAIR Block off Kit
Salamander Bar Ends
007 special license plate feature ;)

We are not what we think we are, We are not what others think, but rather, we are what we think others think we are!

Offline SteelD

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • Route 66 in 2010
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2008, 03:32:22 PM »
Just be careful, now that the whole assembly is rested on those two points on the TC rack, thats alot of pressure should the case be loaded AND someone is leaning against it.
I hear what you are saying but this applies to any rack - the bulk of the load is always at this point on the Bandit.
David

Offline Snubnose

• Board Homesteader!
  • Cos For why?
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2008, 03:58:12 PM »
Just be careful, now that the whole assembly is rested on those two points on the TC rack, thats alot of pressure should the case be loaded AND someone is leaning against it.
I hear what you are saying but this applies to any rack - the bulk of the load is always at this point on the Bandit.

Not if its distributed elsewhere also, like in the givi set-up or even the givi designed suzuki OEM original set up you had with the first picture. I opted for the givi wingrack recently, doesnt look "as pretty" but very, very stable and strong and theres never any fear of a passenger or load putting too much pressure or stress on that one point entirely anymore. Either way, any part of the load shared with other mounting points besides just those two points on the TC rack helps prevent damage. The Sw-motech top rack put this stress on that specific area entirely as did the Krauser.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2008, 04:07:55 PM by Snubnose »
2003 B12S - Silver
Stock 06' pipe
3 shims on each needle
Zero gravity SR
PAIR Block off Kit
Salamander Bar Ends

We are not what we think we are, We are not what others think, but rather, we are what we think others think we are!

Offline dhcolesj

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2008, 04:15:13 PM »
Actually I have the OEM Suzuki setup as you picture above, and it is very solid.  The top case mount has very sturdy rails that mount at multiple points, and not just on the passenger bar mounts.  I have had my wife, and kids sit on the bike, while I got in the riding position to see, and its not quite what the pictures make it look like.  The Padded back rest actually works like Lumbar support for the passenger (adult that is) and a nice shoulder / head rest for the kids.  But, all three were able to sit on the bike, and the kids have ridden, comfortably. (note the wife has not ridden it yet, so we'll see when that day comes).
See Ya'
Howard Coles Jr.
John 3:16!

'08 1250S Bandit

Offline SteelD

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • Route 66 in 2010
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2008, 04:20:23 PM »

Not if its distributed elsewhere also, like in the givi set-up or even the givi designed suzuki OEM original set up you had with the first picture. I opted for the givi wingrack recently, doesnt look "as pretty" but very, very stable and strong and theres never any fear of a passenger or load putting too much pressure or stress on that one point entirely anymore. Either way, any part of the load shared with other mounting points besides just those two points on the TC rack helps prevent damage. The Sw-motech top rack put this stress on that specific area entirely as did the Krauser.
Yes, but what I am getting at is the other mounting points are so far removed from where the load actually is, such that the same points take much, if not all, of the stress. It's simple laws of physics and pivot points. The only explanation for an increased failure rate is vibration being funelled through these points rather than being 'shared' across other attachment points. It's not a simple matter of load and the use of just those mounting points.
David

Offline SteelD

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • Route 66 in 2010
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2008, 04:22:22 PM »
Actually I have the OEM Suzuki setup as you picture above, and it is very solid.  The top case mount has very sturdy rails that mount at multiple points, and not just on the passenger bar mounts.  I have had my wife, and kids sit on the bike, while I got in the riding position to see, and its not quite what the pictures make it look like.  The Padded back rest actually works like Lumbar support for the passenger (adult that is) and a nice shoulder / head rest for the kids.  But, all three were able to sit on the bike, and the kids have ridden, comfortably. (note the wife has not ridden it yet, so we'll see when that day comes).
My change arose out of my several miles with my wife on the back complaining that there wasn't much room. I didn't just put her on the back 'to see'.
David

Offline Snubnose

• Board Homesteader!
  • Cos For why?
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2008, 05:00:24 PM »

Yes, but what I am getting at is the other mounting points are so far removed from where the load actually is, such that the same points take much, if not all, of the stress. It's simple laws of physics and pivot points. The only explanation for an increased failure rate is vibration being funelled through these points rather than being 'shared' across other attachment points. It's not a simple matter of load and the use of just those mounting points.

I would have to disagree. I know what your getting at, but too many instances of the  problem occuring ONLY when the rear luggage is set up on this grab handle area only. Its not part of the original "thick" frame member, the added piece of metal seems to be more of an afterthought, and a dodgey one at that. I have never seen nor heard of the same problem occurring when the attach points are additionally located elsewhere and the stress or weight is further distributed. The TC rack may take alot of the weight but beyond a certain point of strain, the other locations would assist.

Whenever they (luggage/case/racks) are additionally supported through the various other attach points that sometimes provide part of the original framed tube to attach to (or extensions thereof) throughout the rear end of the bike (i.e rear pegs, second gen front bungee hooks :- which the G3 never came with...go figure?  :headscratch: ) they are naturally (simple physics) supported more and will reinforce the integrity of the entire structure area via these rear attachment points. This support isn't only required from the front to back (passenger), but also top down (as with load). Any point of reinforcement that can assist with coping with pressure or stress of these aftermarket set-ups is a good thing and seem to provide the necessary support that prevent the damage that has occured on countless instances when only using the TC rack as fitment points (I think Givi Knows this for sure) Many aftermarket dealers/distributors including Twisted Throttle have shared the same sentiment (posts throughout the board) via their own research from the various vendor supplied engineering specs with regard to this observation, so this isn't just my opinion. 

The failures have very little to do with vibration, if this was the case, a heck of alot more pieces of the bike would fail or fall off!.

I sincerely hope you don't have a "similar" problem with failure of the TC rack (provided your passenger doesn't weight over 200lbs), but if you do, don't say I didn't warn ya!. Regardless, I believe after looking at Wizzobeers G2.5, (same body) The TC rack appeared to be beefier than the G2's, so for all intents and purposes, Suzuki seems to have "woken up" to this issue.

But yes, I will agree that the SW-Motech toprack "appears" to provide more room and, of course, is much more pretty! :thumb:
« Last Edit: June 15, 2008, 11:26:00 PM by Snubnose »
2003 B12S - Silver
Stock 06' pipe
3 shims on each needle
Zero gravity SR
PAIR Block off Kit
Salamander Bar Ends

Offline SteelD

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • Route 66 in 2010
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2008, 07:04:24 PM »
So where was all this information when I asked for it a few days ago?  :sad:
David

Offline Snubnose

• Board Homesteader!
  • Cos For why?
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2008, 09:31:55 PM »
So where was all this information when I asked for it a few days ago?  :sad:
Sorry mate, I had the krauser set-up on my bike previously to my Givi set-up, not the sw-motech, so your post didnt "twig" at first. Like I said though, The G3 Frame is similar (in my estimation) to at least 80% of the G2, especially on the tail end as Wizzobeer and I swapped grab handles momentarily to find identical fits, and after looking at wizzobeers G2.5 (2006 model - your body - my engine) the rear TC rack underneath the rear cowling seems beefier than mine was (before I had it fixed and box welded). So you shouldn't have the same issue (provided your wife doesn't weigh over 200 lbs?) :monkeymoon: :stickpoke:

P.S: Love the Gurner!
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 09:33:53 PM by Snubnose »
2003 B12S - Silver
Stock 06' pipe
3 shims on each needle
Zero gravity SR
PAIR Block off Kit
Salamander Bar Ends