Author Topic: Oil Drain Plug Torque setting?  (Read 7252 times)

Offline Human Potato

• TURBO TYPER!
Oil Drain Plug Torque setting?
« on: August 27, 2008, 06:49:30 AM »
Hi Guys,

Can anyone tell me the correct torque setting for the oil drain plug on the 650 engine?  The handbook simply says "tight" but I would rather be more precise to avoid anything bad happening.

Offline pmackie

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Re: Oil Drain Plug Torque setting?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 04:30:29 PM »
On my 2nd Gen 600, the factory service manual calls up 16.5 ft/lbs. I can't think of any reason the same numbers wouldn't apply to the WC 650/1250.
Paul
2002-GSF600S, Progressive Fork Springs, B12 Shock,
SS Brake lines, EBC HH pads, Leo Vince Ex & Kappa bags.
Ex Bike Mechanic (late 70's), somewhat rusty
32 years in the Fuel/lubes industry(Retired)

Offline billincentraljersey

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008, 12:47:23 PM »
I am one of those ham fisted guy that strips a lot of threads.  I cannot resist that "one last quarter turn just to be sure".   :duh:  So, to ease my temptation on the drain plug, I use a new copper washer so I can "feel" it compress and make a good seal when I tighten the bolt.  It will ease my paranoid thoughts of leaking oil.  Then I put on a hose clamp arounf the plug to keep it from rotating.  The fins on the pan will block the screw on the clamp.  That will ease my paranoid thought of loosing the plug when riding.  Addiction have to be treated.  I have to find ways to resist thatlast quarter turn!
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero
Bragging Rights:  NJ to CA in 8 Days on my B1250ABS. Not quite ADV Rider.
07 B1250ABS, 90 Kawasaki Concours, 84 Moto Guzzi V65SP, 77 Yamaha XS360, xx-77 NYC Subway

Offline Ray Mooney

• Watch their mirrors!
  • Board Homesteader!
  • A man's got to know his limitations.
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008, 03:52:37 PM »
I like the copper washer idea. I'm always afraid of stripping the drain plug bolt (I did it on my first bike, but never since), so I avoid the urge to over-tighten. On the other hand, I once read a post from a guy who lost his oil drain plug on a highway on-ramp, sprayed his rear tire with with oil and busted up himself and the bike pretty good. That story makes me want to tighten the crap out of it. Maybe the copper washer would relieve my anxiety.
Ray Mooney
'07 Bandit 1250S

Previous bikes: '03 Vmax, '01 Bandit 1200, '99 Bandit 1200, '97 Vmax, '82 Yamaha Seca 650

Offline billincentraljersey

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2008, 05:24:17 PM »
I like the copper washer idea. I'm always afraid of stripping the drain plug bolt (I did it on my first bike, but never since), so I avoid the urge to over-tighten. On the other hand, I once read a post from a guy who lost his oil drain plug on a highway on-ramp, sprayed his rear tire with with oil and busted up himself and the bike pretty good. That story makes me want to tighten the crap out of it. Maybe the copper washer would relieve my anxiety.

That story could be an urban legend, but perfectly feasible.  That is what feeds my fear.  Don't forget the hose clamp around the plug.

Maybe I should drill and safety wire the plug AND the hose clamp ......
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero
Bragging Rights:  NJ to CA in 8 Days on my B1250ABS. Not quite ADV Rider.
07 B1250ABS, 90 Kawasaki Concours, 84 Moto Guzzi V65SP, 77 Yamaha XS360, xx-77 NYC Subway