Author Topic: Scorpion slip-on initial impressions  (Read 4783 times)

Offline Ray Mooney

• Watch their mirrors!
  • Board Homesteader!
  • A man's got to know his limitations.
Scorpion slip-on initial impressions
« on: July 23, 2008, 01:55:04 PM »
OK, if you read my other thread, you know Pipecity sent me the round hanging strap rather than the oval. I wasn't going to ride the bike with the wrong strap, but on my way out the door this morning, the Bandit sitting there with a bright, shiny new end can on it, fully installed with the round strap instead of the oval, I decided what the hell. I snugged up the band clamps, made sure the can was resting on the bottom of the hanging strap, and rode away.

Initial impressions:

Installation was very easy. Unbolting the stocker was a breeze. Everything on the Scorpion fit perfectly (except for the aforementioned round hanging strap), nice and snug. No directions, but the exploded view of the parts was good enough. I can't tell you how disappointed I was when I realized I had the wrong hanging strap, but I've gotten over it.

The bike sounds like a motorcycle now. Infinitely better than the inline sewing machine it was before. I got looks at stop lights that I don't usually get because the cagers could HEAR me. It's not loud, but definitely noticeable. And when you get on the throttle, it just sounds sweet. While cruising at highway speeds, there's little discernible difference in sound, but as soon as you roll on, she sounds throaty and mean. I kept looking over my shoulder to see what badass motorcycle was coming up on my right, and kept realizing it was ME. Nice.

Performance increase seems neglible, although all I did was a highway commute. Right out of the garage, it seemed the throttle response was even crisper than before, but I'm chalking that up to the sweet rumble at low speed and my joy at hearing my bike. High speed roll-on seems unchanged. Pulling in the clutch and blipping the throttle at merging cars had the desired effect of letting them know I was there. Now it actually is a loud handle.

The Scorpion is half the size of the stocker and the weight difference is huge. When I unbolted the stock pipe, I couldn't believe how heavy it was. I realize this weight savings only really makes a difference at the track, but psychologically it's nice to know I'm not lugging around the extra weight.

I'm not sure about the Scorpion label on the pipe. It's just a cheesy rubberized stick-on and I'm not sure I'll keep it. It looks pretty good from a distance, but closer inspection reveals it as pretty cheap. A riveted-on label would be much more impressive, but then again, harder to remove if I didn't want it.

There is some decel popping going on, but it's minor and I actually kind of like it. Makes me sound like the hotted up bikes I chase up Mt. Palomar all the time. I may block off the PAIR valve when I install my Stebel air horn, but right now I'm fine with the way it sounds.

Overall, I couldn't be much happier. The Scorpion is affordable and easy to install, and definitely increases the fun factor. This is my sixth bike (including two previous Bandits), and I've never had an aftermarket pipe before (although I ran an RF900 can on my '99 Bandit). If I ever do buy another bike, I'll definitely consider another Scorpion can. The sound is nice, the look is clean, and it's got a lifetime warranty.

No issues with the can upon inspection once I got to work today. Everything stayed in place as expected. I'll post pics once I get the oval strap installed.

Cheers.
Ray
Ray Mooney
'07 Bandit 1250S

Previous bikes: '03 Vmax, '01 Bandit 1200, '99 Bandit 1200, '97 Vmax, '82 Yamaha Seca 650

Offline A1A

• TURBO TYPER!
Re: Scorpion slip-on initial impressions
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 02:09:37 PM »

Hope your mpg don't suffer to much playing all that throttle music. :thumb:
Richard
07 Red Bandit 1250S
05 Blue DL650
04 Yellow SV650N
00 Copper/Black VS1400 Intruder
58 HD Sportster H

Offline dhcolesj

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 10:09:04 PM »
Reminds me of an 'ole song:

Play that throttle music  . . . .er, was that funky.  I like throttle.    :bandit:
See Ya'
Howard Coles Jr.
John 3:16!

'08 1250S Bandit

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2008, 11:27:56 AM »
I don't mind the rubberized decal.  I actually don't think it looks cheap at all.  Mine is still like-new after several thousand miles. 
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline Ray Mooney

• Watch their mirrors!
  • Board Homesteader!
  • A man's got to know his limitations.
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2008, 01:21:57 PM »
Well, like the post title said, that was an initial impression. After riding with it for a week now, and seeing it every day, I've changed my mind. It's obviously durable and won't melt like I first thought. Although I guess that was kind of dumb since the manufacturer knows how hot the thing's going to get. Anyway, it looks really good in the pictures I've taken and I'm sold on it now.
Ray Mooney
'07 Bandit 1250S

Previous bikes: '03 Vmax, '01 Bandit 1200, '99 Bandit 1200, '97 Vmax, '82 Yamaha Seca 650

Offline houndawg

• Board Regular!
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2008, 10:27:46 PM »
the rubber decal came off my pipe.{cheep!!!!}
1979 gs1000  2007 1250 bandit

Offline A1A

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2008, 10:51:10 PM »

Maybe it was just me, but I removed that decal on the Scorpion I installed on my VStrom. There was an encraved Scorpion symbol on the muffler end cap. Which in my eyes looked pretty cool anyway.

Richard
07 Red Bandit 1250S
05 Blue DL650
04 Yellow SV650N
00 Copper/Black VS1400 Intruder
58 HD Sportster H

Offline Bandit1250

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2008, 09:54:23 PM »
The SCORPION also NEVER needs repacking...it has SS mesh packing, and SCORPION will sell you a new can for 50% off retail if you ever trash it in a get off!!
Past Pleasures....all memories
2006 Triumph Sprint ST1050
2004 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
1984 Honda V651100 Sabre
1986 Kawaski Vulcan 750N
1982 Suzuki GS750EZ
1974 Suzuki GT380 2 stroke street

Offline DaveG

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2008, 12:43:23 PM »
my sticker fell off and i liked it.
if i knew how to put it back without messing up the can i would.

don't think the strap matters.
put both ends together on one side of the mount, not one on each side like the stocker.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 12:59:52 PM by DaveG »