Author Topic: Stuck fuel gauge?  (Read 5084 times)

Offline bngboyd

• Board Homesteader!
Stuck fuel gauge?
« on: April 02, 2009, 05:46:52 PM »
My 07 1250 has just over 3600 miles on the odometer and it was time to get it new tires. Well I do not have the tools to do the tire change and mounting myself so I took it to the stealership to have it done. Keep in mind this bike has been flawless to me before yesterday.

So I go to pick up the bike from the stealership and notice 3 bars on the gauge. Not sure how much fuel I had when I dropped it off. I rode it back to my work (1 mile away) and noticed it only had a single bar which was flashing along with the pump icon.

When I got off work and jumped on the bike to go home, 3 bars. On the way home I saw it go from 3 bars to the flashing 1 bar. I shut off the bike and turn the key back on...3 bars are back. wtf!  :wtf:

So I go to work this morning and turn on the bike...3 bars. After about a minute I notice that it is back down to just 1 bar which is flashing. Ok, time to get gas. I open the tank and very little gas, seems that 1 flashing bar is acurate. After putting in half a tank it reads 3 bars again which could be right because I only had enough cash to put in about a half tank.

I think it is stuck. Has anyone here with a 1250 have similar issues?

I am thinking of taking it back to the stealership but can not see how this could be caused by a tire change. Sabotage/coincidence maybe...idk. I know that the rear brakes are now mushy which was caused by the tire change no doubt.
Bob
Redding, Ca.

2007 Bandit 1250S Non-ABS Black
2005 Bandit 1200S Yosh RS-3 Slipon (Wrecked!)

Offline rworm

• Ride it like it's not yours
  • TURBO TYPER!
  • Need more BLACK!
Re: Stuck fuel gauge?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 06:37:16 PM »
Has it bee parked awhile---If so full of gas???
07 Bandit
06 CBR1000rr
07GSXR600 Quad
06 DR650

Offline bngboyd

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 06:54:50 PM »
Has it bee parked awhile---If so full of gas???

Been parked awhile waiting to get tires. Think it had 1/2 tank in it for a couple months.
Bob
Redding, Ca.

Offline bngboyd

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 12:21:40 PM »
By what you are saying rworm....could the sensor be stuck at 1/2 tank because I left 1/2 tank in for a couple months?

I have this posted in a couple forums with very little replies so I am thinking I am alone on this issue.

Once I get it figured out maybe I can help others who may end up with this issue.

I will work on it today but also have a full day at work so I will try to fill the tank to see what happens.

Stay tuned, more later.
Bob
Redding, Ca.

Offline bngboyd

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 08:13:49 PM »
Ok, I think we got it figured out....Thank you spinmon over at MS for leading me to the solution!!!  :thanks:

I had a little time while waiting for the cash to do my tires so I ended up taking the front fairing apart to re-attach my Stebal horn that came loose.

spinmon said he had the same issue and it was a loose connector to the gauges. I pulled my gauges and found the connector to be fully "clicked" into the gauge cluster. I pulled it out and re-snapped it in.

Seems to be good now and not sure why as my connector was not loose but hey I am just happy it is working again.

Good stuff to know as I like to tear apart the front fairing quite abit.

Thanks to all and I hope my little problem may help someone else down the road.  :motorsmile:
Bob
Redding, Ca.