Author Topic: Looking for naked stacked headlights  (Read 7121 times)

Offline land_shark

• Board Homesteader!
Looking for naked stacked headlights
« on: February 13, 2006, 12:51:54 PM »
There was some discussion HERE about a stacked headlight fairing from Banditmania.  I'm interested in a fairingless style stacked headlight setup.  I've been having a hard time finding them, so if anyone knows any by name or where I can find them, please let me know.

I'm trying to find some examples to post in the meantime...

Thanks!
Jason
2000 B12 "Hiro"
2001 KLR650 "Putt-putt"
2005-ish 47cc Cagllari "Balzac"

Offline land_shark

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2006, 12:58:56 PM »
...like this, without the fairing:
Jason
2000 B12 "Hiro"
2001 KLR650 "Putt-putt"

Offline land_shark

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2006, 03:43:01 PM »
found something on ebay that's about as close as anything else I've seen.  Still more 'stuff' on them than I'm looking for (and a little more $$): CLICK HERE

Looks like I may end up making my own...
Jason
2000 B12 "Hiro"
2001 KLR650 "Putt-putt"

Offline land_shark

• Board Homesteader!
project started
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2006, 11:01:29 AM »
Ok, I had a little time this weekend to make some headway on my streetfighter project (moving slow, but I think this is going to be a long-term kinda thing).  Here's what's happening...

* I got a set of LSL street bars (low rise, lightly swept, aluminum),
    * some new grips as the old ones are pretty shot,
    * a couple cheap imitation projector headlights (temporary, $20 at wally world)
    * an old headlight/fairing bracket from a previous tip-over to make a mount for the new lights

Pics:

Any advice on getting stashing this mess of wiring would be most appreciated!  ...in the meantime I'll search through old posts

Mock up of the new lights, not installed yet...
Jason
2000 B12 "Hiro"
2001 KLR650 "Putt-putt"

Offline Cruisecontrol

• Board Homesteader!
Re: project started
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2006, 05:29:43 AM »
Quote from: "land_shark"

Any advice on getting stashing this mess of wiring would be most appreciated!

When I put a new set of lights on the front of mine I cut out the majority of wiring to the instruments. The connectors take up a lot of room so I cut them out with the extra length and soldered the wires.
Once I did that I just took the extra slack from the other wires and fed them back into the space behind the frame cover and zip tied them.
It is not perfect but it tidied things right up.

Offline land_shark

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2006, 01:42:05 PM »
Cutting the connectors out will probably be my best bet.  What will be the major drawback of doing that?  Just that it will be more difficult to remove the instrument cluster?  Maybe it would be better (although possibly more work) to cut the connectors out, solder the wires together, then splice the connector in further up the wires (so they can sit behind the frame).

Hard to strateegerize and visualize while I'm sitting at work...
Jason
2000 B12 "Hiro"
2001 KLR650 "Putt-putt"

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2006, 04:18:19 PM »
Looks cool, Jason.

I'm struggling with the wires thing too.  I just went to the standard, side-by-side lights.  Because I have low bars (SM Type 1s), I've got friggin wires everywhere.  I did cut/solder a couple of the really long nasty looking ones.  I know my little 4 is different but when I went to cut out the connectors, i noticed that I had one more wire in the upstream end of the plugs than was coming out of the downstream end!   :duh:   That officially went past my crappy skills.  I'm just going to have to live with the ball-'o-'lectrical tape I have behind the lights and tucked in the frame.  I do have a windscreen that should hide some of it.  

Good luck!
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline land_shark

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2006, 04:36:47 PM »
Quote from: "PitterB4"
...i noticed that I had one more wire in the upstream end of the plugs than was coming out of the downstream end!   :duh:

I am certainly expecting that to happen to me :lol:   I'd really like to keep the connectors intact, so I'll probably just give the wad-o-tape method a chance before I start slashing and burning.  There is quite a bit of room back there in the 1200, so we'll see what happens...

Thanks a bunch for the input, Cruisecontrol, PitterB4, it's been a pretty slow thread!  :sad:
Jason
2000 B12 "Hiro"
2001 KLR650 "Putt-putt"

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2006, 10:41:13 AM »
Panduits (aka zip ties) can be your friend, too, if you don't want to molest the OEM wiring any more than you have to.  You can use a method we refer to here at the airplane factory as "coil and stow" and tie the coil up to a few different spots the coil from getting into trouble spots where it could be damaged or cause interference with something else.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline ttewejnodnarb

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2006, 01:39:41 PM »
I don't know if it would look like crap or not but you could try a small ABS black plastic project box ala Radio Shack mounted behind the lights vertically to coil and stow the wires in.

Just a thought.
Brandon
98 B12S

Offline tannerismyhero

• Board Homesteader!
lights
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2006, 11:42:44 AM »
Hey landshark, how do those lights work at night? Are they bright enough to ride safely after dark?
01 1200s

Offline land_shark

• Board Homesteader!
Re: lights
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2006, 12:03:36 PM »
Quote from: "tannerismyhero"
Hey landshark, how do those lights work at night? Are they bright enough to ride safely after dark?

Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to mount or operate them quite yet.  I think the camera's flash caused them to look lit in the pic.  Each bulb is 55w, so I would assume they will be good at night.

I'll be sure to post more on my progress once I get going again.  We're looking into building a house, and selling our current townhouse.  Hopefully with the new 3-car garage I'll have enough room to get this job done  :wink:  ....hmm, I'll need a bigger beer fridge too  :monkeymoon:  :banana:
Jason
2000 B12 "Hiro"
2001 KLR650 "Putt-putt"

Offline Soro

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2006, 10:50:32 PM »
Landshark, did you ever get the lights up and running? How did they work?
I dig those stacked lights from England. I'm still looking for the right look for the front of my project bike.
2002 1200S going to a Street Fighter!
1987 GSX-R 1100 Restoration Project
2005 Sprint ST 1050
2002 Daytona 955I (sold)

Offline land_shark

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2006, 12:36:09 PM »
Quote from: "Soro"
Landshark, did you ever get the lights up and running? How did they work?
I dig those stacked lights from England. I'm still looking for the right look for the front of my project bike.

Hey Soro, still haven't mounted the lights yet.  However, I did just complete my first welding class last Saturday at the local community college  :motorsmile:   I think the 6 week course is going to be a great experience for me.  ...much harder than they make it look on TV!! :shock:  Anyone can stick pieces of metal together, but to do it well and consistently with different types of metal is a real talent.  Anyway, as I start getting the hang of things, I'll bring in my own pieces and start figuring out how I'm going to make the bracket.

I'll post pics as soon as things start happening.  Thanks for the interest!  Have you come up with anything good for your own project?
Jason
2000 B12 "Hiro"
2001 KLR650 "Putt-putt"

Offline Soro

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2006, 03:25:38 PM »
Quote from: "land_shark"

I'll post pics as soon as things start happening.  Thanks for the interest!  Have you come up with anything good for your own project?

I never found a headlight kit that I 100% loved. So right now I just modified the front lights/stay/etc. I'm actually pretty happy with it. Next week a bunch of performance stuff is coming. Yay. Time to work on the engine and brakes.

2002 1200S going to a Street Fighter!
1987 GSX-R 1100 Restoration Project
2005 Sprint ST 1050
2002 Daytona 955I (sold)