Author Topic: My Streetfighter  (Read 10598 times)

Offline apw100

• Board Regular!
My Streetfighter
« on: June 11, 2005, 11:27:06 AM »
I just purchased a '98 Bandit 1200s to use as the base for my streetfighter project.  I am working overtime on it and it should be "done" in about 2 weeks.  Here are some initial specs...

-Holeshot Stage2 jet kit
-Remus headers w/ baffled 70mm link pipe(no muffler)
-FZ6(naked version) headlight. (Ordered from New Zealand since it isnt
                                               sold in the US)                          
-VEYPOR motorcycle data system(Speedo, odometer, dynometer, shift
                                                  light, etc. Will replace stock guages)
-'05 Yamaha R1 subframe and tail(minus the undertail exhaust)
-Holeshot rearsets
-TES Performance windowed clutch/ignition covers
-Race Tech fork spring kit
-braided steel brake lines
-Accel "Super Coil" ignition kit
-K+N dual airfilters
-Renthal streetfighter handlebars

This is just "stage one".  Soon, I will bore the engine and possibly do a fork conversion.  Let me know if you guys have any suggestions!

Offline Bob Holland

• Board Homesteader!
My Streetfighter
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2005, 02:05:14 PM »
Take pictures as you go to record your progress.   :motorsmile:
If I didn't have a Suzuki, I would have a Kawasaki

Offline apw100

• Board Regular!
My Streetfighter
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2005, 02:14:26 PM »
I am.  :)

Offline wrecker

• TURBO TYPER!
My Streetfighter
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2005, 10:01:37 AM »
Sounds like a great start for "Stage One".  That's the great thing about these bikes, the possiblities are endless for being unique.  Anybody can put a fancy paint job and "Yosh" exhaust on a crotch rocket and call it a custom.  You're building your dream,have fun.  I did, er do.  

Do the little wheels this ever stop spinning?
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a28/rbberry/suzukibandit.jpg

Offline apw100

• Board Regular!
Progress
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2005, 11:23:46 PM »
Well, I made alot of progress this weekend. I removed all the bodywork(fairings, lights, undertail, gauges), chopped off the tail portion of the frame, installed a new exhaust system(Remus custom) and the Veypor electronics.
This week I will fabricate some tabs, weld them onto the steel frame and bolt the aluminum R1 subframe to the body.  I should also be recieving the FZ6 headlight on Wednesday, so hopefully I will be able to install that with minimal complications. Wish me luck!

Offline apw100

• Board Regular!
My Streetfighter
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2005, 10:24:10 AM »
Here is a terrible camera-phone pic... I'll try to get better ones soon. A week ago this was a Bandit 1200s.  I stripped the body work, gauges and headlight, and cut off the subframe.  Next step is to weld on mounting brackets for the R1 subframe.
As you can see, I have installed the Remus custom exhaust. It is mounted a little off since I need to remove the centerstand to get it situated properly.

Offline apw100

• Board Regular!
My Streetfighter
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2005, 08:08:53 PM »
Here is an updated picture of my bike. I finally got the '05 R1 tail put on. Next step- strip down the bike and have the frame powder coated and the tail, tank and fender painted.  

Offline solman

• Board Homesteader!
My Streetfighter
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2005, 08:59:54 PM »
That looks like it is going to be pretty sweet looking when you get done.  BTW, what kind of exhaust is that?  I don't recall ever seeing anything like that.
03 Naked Bandit 1200 <br />Vitamin B12, its great for the soul!

Offline 12sdrag

• Board Homesteader!
My Streetfighter
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2005, 10:38:37 PM »
EXCELLENT!!!!!! I give it two thumbs up
It is what it is and thats all it is till it is no more

Offline apw100

• Board Regular!
My Streetfighter
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2005, 11:10:53 PM »
It is a system by Remus.  It is just the headers with a baffled mid pipe. No can. It really sounds good!

Offline Batdad

• TURBO TYPER!
curious is that street legal
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2005, 12:05:10 AM »
So is there a website for the exhaust? looks damn sweet. I have chopped over 12inches off sub-section of my 01 B6. Did you have to make new tabs to attach that sub frame?
Its no longer slammed its getting overhauled.

Offline NCBANDIT

• Board Homesteader!
My Streetfighter
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2005, 08:39:41 AM »
Must have r1 tail, that looks awesome, looks like your making good progress :congrats:

Btw, how much did the subframe and tailsection cost?

Offline apw100

• Board Regular!
My Streetfighter
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2005, 10:28:57 AM »
Well, Remus doesnt have a US motorcycle exhaust website, and even their Austrian website doesnt show this system. I purchased mine through Streetfighters-USA(http://www.streetfighters-usa.com). If you call them, talk to James, he can help you out. The full system, headers and baffled mid-pipe, was $435.
And yes, that is an '05 Yamaha R1 tail and subframe.  You can find the subframe on ebay for around $175, the tail piece for $130, the undertail for $50, and the seat for $20.  I bought the seat cowling for around $175.
By far the biggest obsticle I have faced was welding and positioning the tabs onto the frame. The slightest change in tab placement can dramatically alter the position of the seat unit. And since the R1 subframe and Bandit frame are not exactly complementary, precision and lots of planning is needed.

Offline apw100

• Board Regular!
Update
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2005, 08:24:44 PM »
This is a better quality photo of my streetfighter in its current state. As you can see, its not exactly cosmetically pleasing yet.  I just rejetted the carbs and am still in the process of tweaking them.

Offline apw100

• Board Regular!
update
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2005, 10:22:00 AM »
Here are a couple of updated photos.  I put an Acerbis headlight on and did a cheap spray job of the tail. Nothing major. Real paint and powder coating this week...