Author Topic: Tomahawk Re-BUILT Tires  (Read 3441 times)

Offline Stevie B

• Board Regular!
Tomahawk Re-BUILT Tires
« on: August 11, 2005, 10:27:01 AM »
I have a set of these on my B-12. Seen them discussed on other forums, but not here, yet.  I must admit I have limited experience to draw on, previous bikes (going back in time were  Virago 750, Suzuki 550, Yamaha Maxim 700 -wanted to put drag bars on that one and pretend it was a sport bike...) and didnt really experiment with tires on any of them.  Previous tires on B12 were  stocks, whatever they were.  

I like the tomahawks, overall.  Price is real draw.  That they can be had in colors is cool (although I chickened out and got black).  I've read disses of them, but I felt like the rear felt the same as the stockers(what WERE those tires?) and the front corners fine, although I think I have noticed that the front tire seems to slide earlier on braking.  Wear is good, too, so far, but too early to tell for sure so I won't put any mileage figures here yet.  I did get the touring tires, next time I think I will go with the softer sport tires, and maybe get bold and go with red.
Steve Boudreaux
98 Bandit 1200S
99 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic
2005 Novara Triompho (yes, a bicycle!)
Atlanta, GA

Offline jwalters

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://genome.uiowa.edu/~jwalters
Tomahawk Re-BUILT Tires
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2005, 01:16:49 PM »
Hi Steve, I was looking into the Tomahawk tires some time ago and posted a message about them on the old BanditAlley (before it went on vacation).  I like the color options, I think it really makes a bike look unique.  From what I've observed from others, either you like the colors, or you hate the colored tires... (i'm getting off topic)

Anyway, the major concern people had with them is the fact, as you already know, they are re-thread, which strikes fear into the hearts of motorcyclists.  Granted, they have been tested by the AMA Superbike series so they are probably good enough for all of us, but I think it will be some time before average riders take the leap to their retreads.

I also thought their FAQ was interesting, you can tell people are very concerned about "rethreads" because most of their FAQ deals with it!
http://www.cycletires.com/faqs.htm

Here is a question for you.  On their website it says "Garth Dillon, in Formula Extreme on the Tomahawk sponsored R6" and they have a picture of him.  Did they just sponsor him monitarily, or is he actually running Tomahawk tires on that R6?

Please let us know how well your tires hold up!
1997 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
1972 Honda CB 750 K2 Cafe Racer
1985 RZ 350
2006 DR650SE

Nesba #013

Offline jwalters

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://genome.uiowa.edu/~jwalters
Tomahawk Re-BUILT Tires
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2005, 01:21:42 PM »
Oh ya, here is a clip from Fast Larrys site with stock tire information.

Sizes
Stock tires are as follows:
Bandit 1200 - F:120/70ZR17    R:180/55ZR17    Bridgestone BT-54
Bandit 600 - F: 110/70H-17    R: 150/70H-17    Bridgestone Excedra (bias-ply)
(Many brands do not come sized for the B-6 rear.  Owners report that 160/60-17's work fine)
1997 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
1972 Honda CB 750 K2 Cafe Racer
1985 RZ 350
2006 DR650SE

Nesba #013

Offline Desolation Angel

• Board Homesteader!
Tomahawk Re-BUILT Tires
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2005, 02:10:52 PM »
Whether I'm right or wrong, I just couldn't go for any kind of re-manufactured tire on a motorcycle, no matter how cutesy colorful they make 'em.  Unnecessary risk, in my book.

Heck, I wouldn't even use 'em on cars.  New only, please.

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Tomahawk Re-BUILT Tires
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2005, 08:33:39 PM »
I'm not afraid of quality retreads. They've been used in plenty of other applications from race cars to commercial jets. The process Tomhawk uses is the same process the new manufacturers use to put tread on their carcass, so that doesn't bother me.

I haven't tried them for the simply because A) there isn't much of a price difference when compared to discount tire retailers and B) when I looked into getting a set, there was a several week wait and "new" tires are in-stock and shipped to my door in a matter of a few days.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline broncbob

• Board Homesteader!
Tomahawk Re-BUILT Tires
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2005, 07:59:53 PM »
i have seen them, never looked very hard at them, as far as re treads go i have used them on my dirt bikes from time to time with good results(the last on i had i burnt right down to the cords after it had wore past real usefulness, tire smoke in the woods is differnt!) had some on my first truck.the colors are for the squids imho
i'm to young to go that slow!