Author Topic: Rear fender trim  (Read 12919 times)

Offline BBurton

• Board Homesteader!
Rear fender trim
« on: March 06, 2005, 09:30:49 PM »
I just trimmed 4 inches off of my 03 B12 rear fender. Looks pretty good, it is now almost flush with the bottom of my license plate. It is amazing how much better the rear looks now. :grin:   I used a Stanley mini hand saw with a fine tooth blade and then did the final clean up work with a 180 grade sandpaper block. I will probably eventually trim it all off and get Holeshot cat eye blinkers for front and rear. I wish that Holeshot had the clear lenses option however... :cry:
2005 " All Black" DL1000 V-Strom
"CAUTION", front wheel may rise under hard acceleration!

Offline dsartwell1

• Board Homesteader!
good cheap mod
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2005, 10:17:42 PM »
can you post a picture? I've thought of doing that myself but the thought of hacking at it and screwing up my fender kept me from it. If I could see it then I'd know if I should attempt it. Did you remove it or cut it on the bike :?:

Offline BBurton

• Board Homesteader!
Rear fender trim
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2005, 10:44:56 PM »
I didn't take any pics of the process, the 2001 and up Bandits are very easy to trim instead of buying a costly fender eliminator kit. If you go to Holeshot.com and go to the Bandit section you can find a pretty easy step by step process to help you eliminate the fender. I just figured what the heck and just drew a line with a colored pencil until I liked what I saw and then I started cutting away. I didn't take the fender assembly off the bike. I think that I will take some pics and see if anyone likes how it looks. Just take your time, measure twice and cut once!! A friend of mine stopped over and thought that the fender came that way. Remember that most all screw ups can be fixed!! :lol:

Offline Runerx

• Board Homesteader!
Rear fender trim
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2005, 11:04:43 PM »
Pics would be GREATLY appreciated. I've been considering this myself, Atleast till I can get the holeshot Rear blinker assembly.
DJ - Skin donations to the dirt/pavement gods suck!

Offline BBurton

• Board Homesteader!
Rear fender trim
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2005, 01:24:57 AM »
No problem guys.... I will try to get some pics before weeks end!!  :smile:

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Rear fender trim
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2005, 04:31:02 AM »
Dale's instructions trim more off than that.

Here's the results of my following Dale's instructions. I fabbed my own "L" brackets to mount the signals to the plate.

Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline PeteSC

• Board Homesteader!
    • SouthChinaLady
Rear fender trim
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2005, 11:46:30 AM »
One big plus is that fender plastic is EASY to work with!

Just plan your cuts, and  cut a little LESS than you intend.

The plastic is then easily squared off or shaped with a sanding block.

I ended up doing mine about 3 times, over a couple of years....getting progessively shorter each time.
Spartanburg, SC
'99 Bandit 1200
'03 DR650
I'm really a very hot, sexy,lesbian, trapped in this fat, middle-aged, male body......

Offline Runerx

• Board Homesteader!
Rear fender trim
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2005, 01:49:41 PM »
I just can't trim that much off until I either buy the brackets or make a set. SO I was trying to figure out if it would look better to trim it as short as I can using the original plastic for the signals or leave it till I can get new brackets. I don't want it to look like a total hack job in the mean time.... I dont like the massive air brake that hangs there now but cobbled up crap isn't a whole lot better.

DJ
DJ - Skin donations to the dirt/pavement gods suck!

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
Rear fender trim
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2005, 02:17:45 PM »
I've found that a cutting wheel and a sanding drum on a Dremel do a nice job on the plastic.  Plus, you get to feel like Paulie from OCC!   :mrgreen:

On my B4, i trimmed the fender totally flush with the bodywork, used flush-mount signals and a plate bracket from JC Whitney.

Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline Banditboy600

• Board Homesteader!
Rear fender trim
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2005, 02:23:04 PM »
Red
You need to get a World Wide Bandit Owner's Assoc. Plate frame from Holeshot.  They are really nice, and made of metal.
Kevin R
'02 Bandit 600S (sold)
'05 FZ1 silver

Offline davesavvy

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Rear fender trim
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2005, 06:08:47 PM »
Quote from: "BBurton"
I just trimmed 4 inches off of my 03 B12 rear fender. Looks pretty good, it is now almost flush with the bottom of my license plate. It is amazing how much better the rear looks now. :grin:   I used a Stanley mini hand saw with a fine tooth blade and then did the final clean up work with a 180 grade sandpaper block. I will probably eventually trim it all off and get Holeshot cat eye blinkers for front and rear. I wish that Holeshot had the clear lenses option however... :cry:

Definately get the pictures, I too was considering doing this. I also thought that f i did do it, I would finish off the edge with auto trim rubber/plastic tubing. most come with a glue already inside, all you do is push it on.
2003 Bandit 1200S- Silver

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Rear fender trim
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2005, 06:56:44 PM »
Quote from: "Banditboy600"
Red
You need to get a World Wide Bandit Owner's Assoc. Plate frame from Holeshot.  They are really nice, and made of metal.

Thought about it, but thought the price was a bit steep.

I've got a different frame on it than what's in those pics now... The one on it now says "Cheap Floozy" - goes well with some friends frames who have "Taunting Harlot," "Lil Tart" - and the now MIA "Screaming Hussy"
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Rear fender trim
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2005, 07:11:06 PM »
Another way to do it is to replace the black undertray with a sweet looking color matched one that eliminates the long mud guard, gives a place to mount the plate, and comes with different rear signals. There's several differrent styles out there.

This one's from Roca:

This one's from Metisse:

This one's from Topline:

...and there are others, too
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline FreediverGa

• Board Homesteader!
Rear fender trim
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2005, 03:04:19 AM »
Quote from: "Red01"
Dale's instructions trim more off than that.

Here's the results of my following Dale's instructions. I fabbed my own "L" brackets to mount the signals to the plate.

I'm about to follow dales tail bob instructions and add the same cat eyes this weekend

Offline deepink

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.oldredtruck.com
Rear fender trim
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2005, 12:28:47 PM »
Trimmed mine to a nub, and it looks great.  Almost like the license plate is just floating  under the seat.  At work now, but will post a few pics tonight from home.  I really like the appearance overall, plus it really helps the hugger be more noticable (sp?).  Anyway

I also removed the turn indicators, and cut holes in the rear plastic on each side and replaced the indicators there.  From Lockhart-phillips.

I guess this is pointless to explain without pics.

2001 Bandit 1200 - \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"Revised\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"