Author Topic: Taller Windshield for 1250? HELP!  (Read 24657 times)

Offline SteelD

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • Route 66 in 2010
Taller Windshield for 1250? HELP!
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2007, 09:40:00 AM »
It's Wednesday Zen - has it turned up yet? Suzuki UK have a re-badged version of the same screen so I'm keen to get feedback before I order one.

Thanks
David
Bandit 1250SAK7 Graphite Metallic Blue (YLE)

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2007, 10:03:44 AM »
Quote from: "SteelD"
It's Wednesday Zen - has it turned up yet? Suzuki UK have a re-badged version of the same screen so I'm keen to get feedback before I order one.

Thanks

It's 8:00 AM and I'm waiting for the UPS truck at the moment, taking looks down the driveway, listening for the Boyz (our 2 wolf hybrids) to go off and let us know we're being invaded.

It's cloudy and lookin' like rain, weather channel says thunderstorms. UPS usually gets here in the afternoon... just warnin' ya.  :roll:

Jeez, I feel like the tooth fairy at a boxing match... everybody waitin' on me here...  :bandit:
"Hmmm... near certainty of death with little chance of success... what are we waiting for?"

Offline SteelD

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • Route 66 in 2010
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2007, 10:19:18 AM »
Quote from: "ZenMan"

It's cloudy and lookin' like rain, weather channel says thunderstorms. UPS usually gets here in the afternoon... just warnin' ya.  :roll:

Looks like you're getting the right weather to give it a good test for us.  :wink:
David
Bandit 1250SAK7 Graphite Metallic Blue (YLE)

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2007, 08:00:52 PM »
Ok. guys... I have good news and I have bad news.

The good news is I received the MRA Vario Touring Screen via UPS today, and I have installed it on Ol' #99.  :bigok:

The bad news is you'll have to wait till tomorrow afternoon for the road test... a big thunderstorm came rolling in before I had a chance to take her for a spin. I don't mind the rain so much, except for making a mess of our dirt driveway... but the lightning is another story. I've been struck twice in my life, so I'm not taking any chances, no matter how much I like ya!  :bandit:

So here's the installation process so far... this will give ya'll an idea of how easy it really is to change the windscreen.

I don't know why Frisky made it sound so hard, you don't have to remove the fairing or any of that stuff... it's basically just a few screws. George, you can stop worrying... it's no big deal should you decide to do this.

Red... <EDITED> the following is all done and ready for the FAQ's.  :bigok:
"Hmmm... near certainty of death with little chance of success... what are we waiting for?"

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Windscreen Removal and Replacement
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2007, 08:26:26 PM »
<EDIT> to save space...

The procedure for removing/installing the windscreen has been moved and can be found in the "B1250/B650 FAQ's" here:

http://forums.banditalley.net/viewtopic.php?t=9346

Offline salvate

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2007, 02:50:10 PM »
Anxiously awaiting your thoughts on the shield here. Not to sound the noob that i am, but what purpose does the hole in front of the instrument cluster serve? I notice its on your new shield as well. Any benefit to blocking that off or is that a bad idea for some reason? Not trying to hijack your thread here but it seemed a good one to ask in.
-------------------------------------------------
Actually, In re-reviewing your pics I cant tell if its on your new one or not.
Proud owner of a
2007 Bandit 1250s

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2007, 04:25:07 PM »
OK, ya'll... put in 100 miles today on the new screen. On a scale of 1 to 10, I guess I rate it about an 8. Im satisfied with it for the most part, but it could be better in some respects.

You can actually adjust it while riding, by grasping the middle of the spoiler and "clicking" it up and down with a bit of a twisting motion.

I tried it in all 6 positions. The lowest (#1) cuts the windblast smoothly and was best at high speed, but I still had to tuck in a little.. The next 3 positions (#2,#3, and #4) caused some buffeting in different areas around my helmet and shoulders, and also created pockets of less intense air space. It depended on what position I was in, tucking or slouching, but there was always a little pocket I could find for my face shield to occupy.

Position #5 smoothed it out, but still couldn't sit all the way upright and keep my face shield in the "pocket". The highest position (#6) afforded good protection with no turbulence, and the least amount of air pressure overall.

The thing is, it doesn't really create any totally "dead" airspace, it more or less "dilutes" the blast down to a lot less intense level. In other words, instead of having a 75mph wind in your face, you have a 25mph wind in your face. Which is ok with me, it gives me some fresh air in my helmet vents and cools me off when I flip the shield up. And I can flip the shield up at 80mph now.

It does reduce wind fatigue by a substantial amount, I feel like I can ride a lot longer now without getting tired. It's very comfortable compared to the stock screen.

The best thing is how much more QUIET it is... I can actually hear the engine now. It sounds great. I wear a modular hemet, and the noise around my ears is just a whisper now.

The screen itself is shorter than I expected. If you took the spoiler off, it's only about 1" taller than the stock screen. But the spoiler seems to work in mysterious ways, so to speak... it does a lot more than it looks like it would.

I guess if you were looking for total protection, like having a "bubble" of dead air around your head and shoulders, then you might want to try the taller 1-piece Touring screen... but I'd be concerned about buffeting. You could add the Laminar Lip onto the Touring screen to reduce the turbulence though.

That spoiler really is the key to the whole thing... I'm suprised at how well it reduces the noise and buffeting. I'm thinking when it's cold or nasty, or I'm riding long distance, I'll put it at the #6 position. But on hot days just blasting around the countryside the #1 position gives you smooth, aerodynamic air.

George, I don't know what to tell ya... this screen will eliminate your problem of windblast trying to tear your helmet off. But it's not going to give you the kind of "bubble" that your Gold Wing gives you. Like I said, it does great at reducing the intensity of the wind, but it doesn't eliminate it entirely. Personally, I like it. The only reason I don't give it a 10 is because it's a few inches shorter than what the advertising led me to believe.

It also helps a lot with bugs and raindrops, but doesn't eliminate them completely. I did get a couple bigger bugs bounce off the top of my helmet, but my face shield remained pretty clean. In the short cloudburst I encountered today, the bigger drops were hitting the top of the helmet, but I still got moderate misting and intermediate drops on my shield. Not near as bad as with the stock screen though, and they didn't whack me as hard.

So the bottom line for me is: It's a keeper. For now, anyway, unless something better comes along. It does the job, and suits my needs. It's a great improvement over stock, and I know I'm going to appreciate this windscreen all the more as I venture out on longer trips, and encounter varied conditions.

The best thing about it? It's versatility. The different adjustments really work, and are going to come in handy, not just "set and forget". It really is named the "Vario" for good reason.  :wink:

Here's what she looks like with the new screen from the seat:

And from the side:

The lip comes attached to the screen already. Shown is the highest position.

It looks pretty good too, ya think?:

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2007, 04:31:41 PM »
Quote from: "salvate"
Not to sound the noob that i am, but what purpose does the hole in front of the instrument cluster serve?
Actually, In re-reviewing your pics I cant tell if its on your new one or not.

Yep, it's on the new screen too, a little different shape though.

I'm guessing it serves an aerodynamic purpose... I believe it helps break up the windblast incrementally instead of creating an "air dam" that might cause instability and buffeting. It mixes the wind with the flow that comes over the top and makes it smoother.

It might also act like a vent to keep the inside of the screen from misting up. Maybe I'll try blocking it off sometime and see what happens...  :motorsmile:

Offline Blue Racer

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2007, 03:27:00 PM »
Zenman, looks great and glad it works, at least an 8!  I received my Laminar Lip and installed it this afternoon.  Installation was a NO BRAINER!  It sticks on the OEM shield with 3M adhisive.  It looks good and I will post pics soon.  I did not ride due to weather, but will tomorrow morning with my bunch, if weather permits.  Hope it works, if not I will send it back and order what you have...later :grin:
If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Offline Blue Racer

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2007, 06:56:08 PM »
I installed the Laminar Lip.  Have not ridden it yet due to chores around the place.  Here are some pics of it and I think it will suit my purpose.  Will know tomorrow if the weather holds.

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2007, 11:02:10 AM »
That looks good, BR... bigger than I thought it would be from the website. It looks like it should do the job. I hope you don't get any buffeting or flopping around out of it. Is it adjustable?

How does that attach, just with 3M sticky stuff? What are those screw-lookin' thangs?

Good job, and thanks for the pics!  :bigok:

Offline Blue Racer

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2007, 11:03:42 PM »
Zenman writes:  That looks good, BR... bigger than I thought it would be from the website. It looks like it should do the job. I hope you don't get any buffeting or flopping around out of it. Is it adjustable?

Rode 150 miles with the group today.  The Laminar Lip does as advertised.  It reduced my chest and helmet wind 70%.  I am pleased.  No buffeting or flopping of the helmet.  Works great.  

How does that attach, just with 3M sticky stuff? What are those screw-lookin' thangs?

It has 3m stickies under each of those screw thingies...I guess the screw thing is for looks...serves no purpose.  Very strong adhesive stickies...I got up around 85-90 with no problem or movement of the lip.   :grin:

Good job, and thanks for the pics!

At this point, $89 plus $11 shipping seems to have solved my problem with the wind.  Still get some, but not bothersome in the warm weather...it does get cold here in the winter...guess I will take my GW in the cold months.   :lol:

Offline leedogg

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.fquick.com/Leedogg
« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2007, 11:51:07 AM »
Zen- I can't reply in the FAQ- but why os it needed to remove the mirriors?  On the last pis the right side mirror is still on.

Just curious.
1996 Trans Am- Stock as a rock - NOT.  408rwhp/397rwtq.
2004 GMC Yukon XL - The family/Trans Am hauler
1992 Silverado - Future tow vehicle.
2007 Bandit 1250S - first ever bike- I love it!

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2007, 12:24:02 PM »
Quote from: "leedogg"
Zen- I can't reply in the FAQ- but why os it needed to remove the mirriors?  On the last pis the right side mirror is still on.

Just curious.

That's because on the last pic, the new windscreen is already installed... you can see it underneath the old windscreen. I just set it there so you can see the mounting points.

My original pics when I had it apart didn't come out, and I was too lazy to take it all apart again.  :lol:

You have to take the mirrors off so you can spread the gap between the outer fairing shell and the inner fairing panel, to slide the old screen out and the new one in. Otherwise you won't have enough room.

You can't post in there because the FAQ's are meant for informational reference only. Discussion and questions we can have in the general forum threads like here...  :wink:

Offline Blue Racer

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2007, 11:37:21 PM »
Zenman wrote:  The hi-beam socket and up/down adjuster is identical, but must be accessed by reaching up under the front left edge of the fairing and feeling for it. It's held on by a spring clip just like the lo-beam socket, and the adjuster takes a 5mm allen wrench also.

Zen, can you change the hi-beam without taking the instrument panel off, in case the hi-beam goes out, but not the lo-beam?