Author Topic: Any Kayakers here? (Esp Central to Northern AB)  (Read 10940 times)

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
Any Kayakers here? (Esp Central to Northern AB)
« on: June 17, 2010, 07:00:49 PM »
We picked up two kayaks, and are looking forward to taking them out.
Being new to this, I expect it to be as much swimming as kayaking, so here's the question:

Where does one put a kayak in the water where there are few to no leeches?  The things scare the crap out of me, and I'd like if possible to not have to worry about falling out due to those slimy nasty creatures.  ditto on the swimmer's itch.

(Yes, I know I should have considered that before I chose to take this sport up)

So far, I can think of the resevoirs, and the cold lakes, like the ones in Jasper.  Any closer to Edmonton?  Apparently the two lakes closest to here are infested.
stormi

Dita - 91 Bandit 400 - SOLD
Blue - 02 Hornet 919 - Perfect Gentleman
02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390
17 Husky TC85 converted to 105

Electrosport Charging System Test - it really works

Offline pmackie

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Re: Any Kayakers here? (Esp Central to Northern AB)
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 08:11:40 PM »
On our recent trip up the Lolo Pass, there must have been 1000 or more kayaks, pontoon boats, and even boogie boards in the water. So now you can bring the trailer, c/w Dita and the Kayaks, and ride and boat!!
Paul
2002-GSF600S, Progressive Fork Springs, B12 Shock,
SS Brake lines, EBC HH pads, Leo Vince Ex & Kappa bags.
Ex Bike Mechanic (late 70's), somewhat rusty
32 years in the Fuel/lubes industry(Retired)

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 08:16:58 PM »
On our recent trip up the Lolo Pass, there must have been 1000 or more kayaks, pontoon boats, and even boogie boards in the water. So now you can bring the trailer, c/w Dita and the Kayaks, and ride and boat!!

Kayaks and Bikes?  We're gonna need a bigger trailer!  :rofl: 
r_outsider's gonna shake his head when he reads this!
stormi

02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390

Offline 06 Greyhound

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 10:56:28 AM »
Check out MEC or other for Neoprene boots. They will stop the leeches.   Any river should be free of leeches, but do take care of things like Plantar wart, the like.  River silt can hold a lot of nasty microbes.
What kind of Kayak? - I have a Current Designs Caribou S sea kayak, and have had every type of canoe and kayak including C1 and creek boats and play boats. Just don't have the time or the commitment for river running anymore, perhaps in a few years. 

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 03:52:33 PM »
I think I may have some neoprene boots in the trailer. got them for playing in the waterfalls a bunch of years ago.  I also picked up a pair of the Vibram Five Finger toes (http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302700471&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442623149&bmUID=1276316965368).  I LOVE them! :)
I wore the toes, because I forgot about the neoprene boots, and as soon as I stepped into the water, I sunk about 12".  Eww.

Our Kayaks are, uhm,.. cheap?   London Drugs had Pelican Ultimate 100 kayaks (virtually identical to the Pursuit 100) on sale at the beginning of june.  They were $300 and came with paddles. I figured at this point I don't know a good one from a bad one, so I'd pick two of these up and see if I liked it.  

The one time we've been out so far, I enjoyed it.  Of course the fact that I was practicing my doggie paddle within about 3 minutes of getting into the water ensured that I was sitting in wet shorts for the day.  It was 100% my fault though.  I thought I'd try this advanced technique (http://www.ehow.com/video_2347223_not-capsize-kayak.html) I'd seen on the interwebs, not thinking that I didn't have the basics yet.  Good thing I was about 6 ft from shore.   :) The only real bad outcome of this was I managed to scrape my back, I think from the knot in my swimsuit top, and that got infected, possibly from the PFD sticking that nasty water to my back for the rest of the day.

How does a person ward against Plantar Wart?

The thing we haven't figured out yet is how to kayak a river and not have to portage the kayaks for miles. We have an F350, so pickup or drop off isn't a problem.  I somehow think I may suffer a massive engine failure if I were to try to put the kayaks on the Mustang, and I haven't figured out the physics for the bikes to carry them yet. :)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 03:58:22 PM by stormi »
stormi

02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390

Offline 06 Greyhound

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2010, 01:04:37 PM »
How does a person ward against Plantar Wart?

Avoid having your feet in wet river water soked boots all day.  Empty and rise in running water when you have the chance.  It's the silt and mud in the river that you want to avoid.

River paddleing - take a course.   The fun boats you have are not really mean to roll and learing a wet exit is the best skill you can have in that type of boat.  High and low braces are really river drills and only of limited use on a lake, unless caught out in a sudden wind storm.
More latter
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 04:34:00 PM by 06 Greyhound »