Author Topic: Air filters  (Read 2635 times)

Offline Dragon888

• TURBO TYPER!
Air filters
« on: September 26, 2006, 10:00:39 PM »
First I hink that my bike is running rich because of the color of the plugs. I have adjusted the a/f screws way inside and I think that it is the maximum I can go or else The screws will be closed or seated already. ?Still am having carbon fouled plugs. Im also experiencing hesitations on a mild uphill climb even on the 1st gear. Im not using any air filter just the airbox on. To my question how important is the air filter besides keeping the dirt out of the carbs? If I will use a certain air filter will it make the motor run richer? Will the hesitations disappear? How is it important to a cv carb? Please enlighten me on this one.

Offline GSFStiny

• Board Homesteader!
Air filters
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2006, 10:31:25 PM »
Has it always had a stock filter?  Generally running an aftermarket stock replacement (K&N, etc) doesnt require jetting nor will it have any adverse effects if everything is right to begin with.  If the bike had pods on it (and subsequent rejetting) and then you went back to stock airbox/filter, then its a possibility.  Other than that I cant think of any way the air filter would cause a rich mixture, unless its REALLY dirty.  Id say you probably have a fuel problem.  Have you done any carb work or intake/exhaust mods? Rejetting, rebuilding, etc etc?
I used to think the brain was the most fascinating organ in the body.  Then I thought, 'well sure, look who's telling me that.'

99 bandit 1200s

Offline Dragon888

• TURBO TYPER!
Air filters
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2006, 10:43:12 PM »
Just got the bike recently and did a cuple of work. At first it has an igniter problem, I fixed that problem already. The bike came with no air filter in it and using a full exhaust form DIC a japanese brand I think. Carb is using only 75 main jet. Cleaned & balanced it. Put in new platinum plugs. Someon said that in order for the diapragm to let the needle rise effectively ther has to be some sort of vacuum thats why the filter is important, is it to restrict some air from going in or what?

Offline GSFStiny

• Board Homesteader!
Air filters
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2006, 12:35:04 AM »
The vaccum thing sounds logical enough, but Im not an expert on the BS-T carbs, so Ill leave that for somebody else.  Did you mess with the pilot screws any when you cleaned the carbs?  Even if you put them back exactly where they were they will need some fine tuning.
I used to think the brain was the most fascinating organ in the body.  Then I thought, 'well sure, look who's telling me that.'

99 bandit 1200s

Offline Dragon888

• TURBO TYPER!
Air filters
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2006, 09:11:49 PM »
Didnt fiddle with the pilots I think its the other way around that maybe Im running lean. Because maybe when Im running a slight uphill fuel flows on the lean that why the bike seems to be loosing power that I have to twist the throttle more so that I could maintain high RPM and sometimes I pull the clutch in and rev the bike more.