Author Topic: Bandit Alley 2007  (Read 8087 times)

Offline Sven

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
  • Drop the puck!
    • My site is always under renovation!
Bandit Alley 2007
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2007, 04:25:02 PM »
I personally would be reluctant to go with the microsoft solution for a few reasons....

Great feedback.  And we don't *have* to use a wiki interface, if individuals want to become the author/editors of certain categories of information.  That's a workload issue, but so is determining who has permissions to edit a wiki.

Am teaching Vignette Content Management today, so my web-centric thoughts are about all used up!
2003 Suzuki Bandit 1200S | el Bandido de Cerceta | the teal bandit
2010 Yamaha FJR1300A | Gin Tama | the silver bullet
2002 Honda CRV | the dirt-colored car

Offline Snubnose

• Board Homesteader!
  • Cos For why?
support?
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2007, 12:28:23 AM »
If you need any graphical/image editing/design work, I might be persuaded to assist as it is what I do for $. :stickpoke:
SNUBNOSE, Alberta, Canada
2003 B12S - Silver
Stock 06' pipe
3 shims on each needle
Zero gravity SR
Sw Motech rear rack - V46 Top case
PAIR Block off Kit
Salamander Bar Ends
007 special license plate feature ;)

We are not what we think we are, We are not what others think, but rather, we are what we think others think we are!

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
Re: support?
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2007, 02:02:58 AM »
Quote from: "snubnoze"
If you need any graphical/image editing/design work, I might be persuaded to assist as it is what I do for $. :stickpoke:

We might just be able to put you to work...  :stickpoke:

http://forums.banditalley.net/viewtopic.php?t=8557&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

See my post from: Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:30 pm

Also, once we get the site evolved a little, I can see a use for your skills as well!
stormi

Dita - 91 Bandit 400 - SOLD
Blue - 02 Hornet 919 - Perfect Gentleman
02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390
17 Husky TC85 converted to 105

Electrosport Charging System Test - it really works

Offline wunaB

• New user!
1st Post
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2007, 11:39:23 AM »
I've only viewed this site for a few weeks.

My first impression, too bad it's not more like the www.fz1oa.com site.

I'm in the process of selling my 2004 FZ1 so I can get the new 1250. But I'm going to miss the fz10a site, especially http://www.cartestsoftware.com/fz1/ .

Just my $.02

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
Re: 1st Post
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2007, 01:12:47 PM »
Quote from: "wunaB"
I've only viewed this site for a few weeks.

My first impression, too bad it's not more like the www.fz1oa.com site.

I'm in the process of selling my 2004 FZ1 so I can get the new 1250. But I'm going to miss the fz10a site, especially http://www.cartestsoftware.com/fz1/ .

Just my $.02

Hi wunaB

:welcome:

Have a look at this thread, we've been talking about some changes.
http://forums.banditalley.net/viewtopic.php?t=8543

and while you're at it, we could use your input here too:
http://forums.banditalley.net/viewtopic.php?t=8557

I see you have another vote for vbulletin.  The reason we're currently steering clear of that one is that it's a subscription based software.  It will raise the operational costs of the board.  

For now, what I want to do is see if the board supports itself using the free forum that the board was using prior to me taking over.  If it does, and looks like it can also pay for the subscription to vBulletin, we -may- go that route, but there are other free ones that are options as well.   There's a lot of time and energy required to make a migration from phpBB to any other board, so we need to make it carefully, cos I don't want to be tweaking it for months afterward, just to make it functional, and I don't want to have to go,... well that didn't work, let's try another....  

There are mods and changes coming for the board though, and I'm looking at trying to get some features, similar to the ones you posted, into the board.  

The other thing too, is that the "new" version of the software that we use for this board will have a ton of those features, we just have to provide content.  I won't move to it yet though, because the newest version is still very buggy.
stormi

02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • GUNNER G. CWO4 WEPS USCG Retired
Bandit Alley 2007
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2007, 02:07:50 PM »
:clap:

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
Bandit Alley 2007
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2007, 04:41:17 PM »
Quote from: "Sven"
Am teaching Vignette Content Management today, so my web-centric thoughts are about all used up!

I like a good balsalmic Vignette myself.  YUM!
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline wunaB

• New user!
Bandit Alley 2007
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2007, 10:39:14 PM »
stormi

I should have been more clear (not feel well today).
The forum engine is not important to me. And I should also say that BABBS is a pretty good site as is, its just new for me and I'm used to the organization of FZ1OA.

Pat's site has been such a handy page for doing maintenance and mods, is there a similar Bandit site?

To be honest, I never thought about the operating costs for FZ1OA, in the 2.5 years I've been on, it was never mentioned.

When the new FZ1 came out, they broke the main forum page into Gen1 and Gen2. The collective liked it the old way, and a poll confirmed it. So they put back to the original way.
In the maintenance section however, it is split between gen1 and gen2. Since I've never owned a Bandit, that may be handy for a nuB, to have a 1200 and 1250 section under GM&T.

FYIW, I didn't get the 04' Bandit because of the motor. I had a 1987 GSXR1100. In the Phoenix summers the tank would get so hot I'd get burns on the insides of my legs. It actually sounded like the gas was boiling in the tank. I didn't want to risk that again, with basically the same motor. I sold the Gixxer after 6 years and got a VX800 (which I still have).
I wanted a liter bike again to have a more relaxed freeway ride (rpm at 75). Unfortunately the FZ1 does not deliver that, but it sounds like the 1250 does.

Sorry for the ramble...

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Bandit Alley 2007
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2007, 11:36:52 AM »
Pat's site has been such a handy page for doing maintenance and mods, is there a similar Bandit site?

There's at least two:

Bill "Blade" Johnson's site covers popular performance mods with lots of pictures.

Fast Larry's site is home to the Bandit FAQ (for 600/1200) and a Service Tips for the Bandit 1200 page.

In the maintenance section however, it is split between gen1 and gen2. Since I've never owned a Bandit, that may be handy for a nuB, to have a 1200 and 1250 section under GM&T.

We do have a separate section for the 650 & 1250 water-pumpers in the Bandit 600 through 1250 section.  :grin:
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline wiredgeorge

• TURBO TYPER!
    • http://www.wgcarbs.com
Bandit Alley 2007
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2007, 04:19:40 PM »
My business website was constructed using an open source set of tools known as Joomla which is pretty popular these days. Joomla isn't coming from a company and I doubt support will cease. There is a front end log in and a back end log in. The front end is for essentially editing web pages and the back end is more for admin of the site. If a wiki-environ was needed, Joomla would fill this bill as front end privelages are for document editing/saving while back end stuff is for more of the typical website admin stuff. Have a look at my site: www.wgcarbs.com - I also host a small message forum that is linked off that page... it is a free message forum and I can't really promote it but it works (aimoo.com). If you want to look at a larger, bike message board using Joomla, look at www.kzrider.com - note in the area where there are tech articles, folks are given permission to edit their own articles. This makes Joomla a pretty decent tool for a site such as Sven envisioned.

I personally like this message board but think that the main bandit alley site could use some updating or a redo; especially if the owner is not coming back to pick up the ball. I would like to see more tech stuff in categories by bike model, more organized links, online tech documents (like manuals, etc) where copyright isn't an issue. Oh yeah, by tech stuff, I mean if a subject has been fully explored, rather than put it in a stickey on the BBS, put it in a write up (not a thread) authored by a single person... there could even be competing techniques for doing the same thing written up.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
www.wgcarbs.com  Mico, TX

Offline Sven

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
  • Drop the puck!
Bandit Alley 2007
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2007, 04:26:53 PM »
Quote from: "wiredgeorge"
I personally like this message board but think that the main bandit alley site could use some updating or a redo...if a subject has been fully explored, rather than put it in a stickey on the BBS, put it in a write up (not a thread) authored by a single person... there could even be competing techniques for doing the same thing written up.

This is where I was coming from when I started this discussion a few moons ago.  Thanks for voicing your opinion as well.

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
Bandit Alley 2007
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2007, 06:21:05 PM »
Quote from: "CWO4GUNNER"
It would be nice just to keep things simple which is what is so attractive about this site and have a reliable 24/7 working board. In the words of one world famous engineer "The more you overhaul the pluming in any good system, the easier it is to stop up the drain"

I agree 100%.  The mods I want to do are strictly functional.  Things that should have been here in the beginning.  

If I can get over this cold ( a thick head, and making changes to a forum is not a good combination.  I learned the hard way a couple of years ago.), and stop hardware from self-destructing, I'll be able to make some of those mods.  *none of the hardware  problems are related to the site,... just my own machines here, but greatly affecting the time available to work on the site.  And ride, despite it being in the high fifties to low 60s most of the week so far, I haven't gotten out, I've just been inside my dungeon office, trying to manage everything.
stormi

02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
Bandit Alley 2007
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2007, 06:28:41 PM »
stormi

I should have been more clear (not feel well today).
The forum engine is not important to me. And I should also say that BABBS is a pretty good site as is, its just new for me and I'm used to the organization of FZ1OA.

Well,.. suggest away. :)  I do want to make some changes to the site, and I want to try to preserve some of Pete's stuff from the old site, so that we don't lose it.  I was actually puttering through there the other day.  He's got a lot of info up there.

I want to make sure that the majority of people have the opportunity to contribute suggestions to the changes, and remain involved.  This site is for all of us,.. even the "nuBs".    :stickpoke:
stormi

02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
Bandit Alley 2007
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2007, 06:54:41 PM »
Quote from: "wiredgeorge"
If a wiki-environ was needed, Joomla would fill this bill as front end privelages are for document editing/saving while back end stuff is for more of the typical website admin stuff. <snip>This makes Joomla a pretty decent tool for a site such as Sven envisioned.

I like the idea of a wiki, myself as well.  The big hurdle that we had with implementing one is now largely gone.  I have full access to the server that the site lives on (other than the legacy stuff that still lives at the BanditAlley site for now.)  This means that we can implement whatever we want to.  

By show of hands,.. er,.. posts... how many would have some content to contribute to a wiki, and would want to be involved in the building of the wiki?  I don't want to put one up for two articles.   :wink:

I personally like this message board but think that the main bandit alley site could use some updating or a redo; especially if the owner is not coming back to pick up the ball. I would like to see more tech stuff in categories by bike model, more organized links, online tech documents (like manuals, etc) where copyright isn't an issue. Oh yeah, by tech stuff, I mean if a subject has been fully explored, rather than put it in a stickey on the BBS, put it in a write up (not a thread) authored by a single person... there could even be competing techniques for doing the same thing written up.

all very good suggestions!  If we implement the wiki,.. can you contribute some of this?  I know that I simply don't have -that- much time to do all of the wiki content, and keep the site up.  Not if I wanna ride this year.  ( It's looking like moving to warmer climes is getting better and better.  I wouldn't have to budget my time so I get -some- riding in, I could ride year round.  :grin: )
stormi

02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390

Offline Sven

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
  • Drop the puck!
Bandit Alley 2007
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2007, 08:52:38 PM »
Well, it's apparent I have no problem with handling some  writing chores (don't make me post my latest parallel between Ewan McGregor and myself!).  Would be great to have access to a content management application, but we can live wihtout one.

One way to gather the accumulated knowledge that exists in these threads is to raise a subject, and ask people to PM either links to relevant posts or simply re-state their knowledge.  Would be great to have the ability to share a preview/draft to a review community prior to publishing.

What I would like is the freedom (my word choice) to have someone simply tell me what they want me to work on...I do project management at work, and so the ability to just DO and not MANAGE would be more enjoyable.