Author Topic: Clutch Slipping at 5k??  (Read 3494 times)

Offline kevinfromrex

• Board Homesteader!
Clutch Slipping at 5k??
« on: April 25, 2007, 07:41:39 AM »
Ive got a 2001 GSF600S Bandit that I bought last year with about 3500 miles on it. Appeared to have been owned by student (stickers on fork leg) and ridden very little.

At 4500 miles I switched to mobile 1, 15w-50 auto oil.
At 5,000 miles my clutch is slipping.
I dont wheelie, dont stunt, drive and drive quick, I am heavy 275 pounds in gear, my question WTF!

How the heck can a clutch on a Suzuki be out at 5,000 miles, got to be the oil! HELP!!
2001 Suzuki GSF600S

Offline bikeb4cage

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
clutch slip
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2007, 08:53:33 AM »
Is the lever freeplay OK?  I had a 2000 B6S that started to slip at 15K - I went back and forth between synth and non -but it kept slipping - I rode the bike fairly hard, but did not slip the clutch intentionally (hard take offs etc) - not sure what the previous two owners had done though - the student you bought it from could have worn out the plates  by misuse of the clutch -I got by with mine by adding some washers to the springs...but eventually added new friction discs and heavier springs. ($80 through Bikebandit)  You can try pulling the clutch and checking thicknesses, flatness, etc. of the discs and plates.  Good luck.

Jay
2001 B12N

Offline kevinfromrex

• Board Homesteader!
Clutch Slipping at 5k??
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2007, 10:04:22 AM »
level freeplay is adjusted perfectly, original tires didnt show abuse by the first owner, I repalced original rear tire myself.
2001 Suzuki GSF600S

Offline rider123

• Board Homesteader!
Clutch Slipping at 5k??
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2007, 11:08:10 AM »
Just for fun you could pop some Castrol GTX 10-40 dino oil in there and see if it stops. It could be that in the process of learning how to ride, the student killed his clutch. I've seen and heard lots of crazy clutch abuse out there on the road. Replacing the clutch is not that hard if you need to do it.
2005 Bandit 1200, Modified Holeshot Stage 1 with 17.5 pilots 2.75 turns out, and 110 mains 5 shims. Muzzy Slip on w/mid-pipe, stock filter. 1.5" hole in the airbox lid.

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • GUNNER G. CWO4 WEPS USCG Retired
Clutch Slipping at 5k??
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2007, 11:27:05 AM »
Some of the new car oils with friction reducers and anti sludge additives can cause slipping of the wet clutch. I recommend replacing the oil and filter and using the API rating required for your bike, usually any full synthetic meets the requirement.
  Man I'm clever..

Offline pmackie

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Clutch Slipping at 5k??
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2007, 02:06:08 PM »
15W-50 is heavier than needed. Manual calls for 10W-40. BUT this should NOT be causing your clutch to slip. Neither should the Mobil 1 synthetic.

Some suggestions:
1. Move back to a 10W-40. Nothing wrong with Mobil 1, but in the Mobil line, I would use the 5W-40 DELVAC 1 diesel engine oil. Remember, the littly 600 needs more revs and makes less torque than the 1200. Higher revs and lower torque mean less viscosity is required for optimum lubrication. (This shouldn't be your clutch issue however, just my pet peeve on oil vis :taz: )

2. You say cable play is fine, but check the release mechanism behind the chain cover. Clean and inspect the mechanism and the release rod. Either could be binding.

3. If not the cable, release mechanism or release rod, your back to checking the clutch itself.
Paul
2002-GSF600S, Progressive Fork Springs, B12 Shock,
SS Brake lines, EBC HH pads, Leo Vince Ex & Kappa bags.
Ex Bike Mechanic (late 70's), somewhat rusty
32 years in the Fuel/lubes industry(Retired)

Offline wiredgeorge

• TURBO TYPER!
    • http://www.wgcarbs.com
Clutch Slipping at 5k??
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2007, 04:25:17 PM »
Next time you change the oil, pick up a cover gasket and have a look at the clutch plates. They could well be glazed. It is possible that the springs are not holding tension as well but I wouldn't expect that on a low mileage bike, like yours.

I have heard a lot about friction modifiers causing clutches to slip but if you use most any 10W40, or heavier  oil, I don't think they use friction modifiers so this shouldn't be the problem.

There is also a clutch adjustment procedure in your manual. Not familiar with your model but I would likely start there and consider new clutch disks and checking the spring tension (there will be a compression spec in the manual).
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
www.wgcarbs.com  Mico, TX

Offline kevinfromrex

• Board Homesteader!
Clutch Slipping at 5k??
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2007, 01:45:50 PM »
Well I bought some dead dinosaurs and cant believe Im gonna dump out this nice oil and put in this cheap stuff.

I thought what the heck and went and bought an EBC clutch kit, and springs.

Well guess what the kit says.."not to be used with synthetic oils"

Guess I am sticking with dino afterall.

When the parts come in Ill let you all know what she looked like when the cover came off.
2001 Suzuki GSF600S

Offline B6mick

• Board Homesteader!
Clutch Slipping at 5k??
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2007, 10:12:46 AM »
I had the same problem a couple of years back, new fibre plates and 10% stiffer clutch springs solved the problem, and its been good now for over 40 thou K's and the 10% stiffer springs fells firm, but still little a light action.
Foot loose and fancy free.
Looking for adventure and what ever comes our way.

Offline kevinfromrex

• Board Homesteader!
Clutch Slipping at 5k??
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2007, 03:37:05 PM »
Im with you Mick I went up on the spring pressure. Switching to honda GN4, soon as the parts show up Ill get her changed over.
I cant wait to see the fiber plates, cant believe its fried?!
2001 Suzuki GSF600S