Author Topic: exhaust prep for paint  (Read 11169 times)

Offline zeffer111

• Board Regular!
exhaust prep for paint
« on: June 06, 2008, 02:27:10 PM »
I would like to repaint my exhaust headers to tip. I did some searching on the forums to see painted recommendations, etc. and found some good info.

My question at this point is this;
how do I go about preparing the exhaust system once its off the bike?
do I sand it down, and if so, with what? Do I use some kind of solvent first?

thanks for any help.

Edit: maybe I should also add that I have a 1991 Bandit 400 with an all black exhaust.
I am going to use some high temp. paint from a local auto parts store. The exhaust as is has some rough spots with a very small amount of surface rust.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 08:32:52 PM by zeffer111 »

Offline SteveM

• TURBO TYPER!
Re: exhaust prep for paint
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 10:45:47 PM »
I recently did the exhaust on my scooter and used a wire wheel attached to my drill and then medium steel wool by hand to smooth things a bit. I then applied Dupli-Color matt black high temp paint to restore the exhaust to new. The system was painted from the header right to the exhaust tip. The chrome cover was removed and polished.

Before

After

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2006 Bandit 650S

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 11:28:06 PM »
When I did my B4 headers (two different sets), I wire brushed and then steel wooled them as best I could. They weren't perfectly smooth.  Not by a long shot but anything loose and any thing rough was removed.  Then, I degreased them with something - paint thinner or something like that.  Then I just followed the instructions on the can.  On the stockers, to heat cycle them, I installed them and ran the engine in different increments.  That lasted a solid two seasons before they started to look rough again.  The V&H headers, I stuck in the oven.

I was REALLY pleased with the results both times.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 11:35:02 PM »
How pleased was your wife when she found out you'd bakes bike parts in the oven?

Or did you do it like I do and wait until she's not home?  :trustme:
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline zeffer111

• Board Regular!
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2008, 11:28:30 AM »
Great tips.

Since it is not too rusty, I'll hit it with some steel wool, then some paint cleaner.

cheers.

Offline Ericchino3

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2015, 12:51:04 PM »
Aloha,
I too want to look at options for painting, wrapping or powder coat for my ugly headers but need to find out temperature tolerances for those options & how hot do headers get???  Any help will be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks
Chino