Author Topic: fuel supplements?  (Read 2585 times)

Offline elbandido

• Board Homesteader!
fuel supplements?
« on: May 24, 2005, 02:46:00 PM »
hey kids, what's your take on fuel supplements, like Techron, or any fuel system cleaning, fuel injection, gas treatment?  are there any i should stay away from, or is there any i should absolutely use to benefit my engine and performance?  also how much and how often should i be using it?  should i only be using it if i use a lower octane fuel?  any thoughts?  :thanks:
2000 bandit 600

Offline tacoman

• Board Homesteader!
fuels
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2005, 03:30:09 PM »
i'm not big on fuel supplements, I think for the most part they're marketing ploys. The only ones worth a darn is stabil if you're going to be in storage awhile.  There is another called gas dryer if you get water in the gas, I use this mainly on my boat.  With a bike you can drain carbs and dump out the tank if you get that much water in the fuel.

Offline PeteSC

• Board Homesteader!
    • SouthChinaLady
fuel supplements?
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2005, 03:39:04 PM »
Techron does help clean out dirty carbs.  I'm sold.  I only use it occasionally.  Particularily at spring start up....
  As far as octane boosters and such...I'm not sure there's any point, unless you're running a high compression engine.
  I use Stabil, also, when storing a bike.

Everybody has a favorite additive, few do much.
Spartanburg, SC
'99 Bandit 1200
'03 DR650
I'm really a very hot, sexy,lesbian, trapped in this fat, middle-aged, male body......

Offline aussiebandit

• Board Homesteader!
fuel supplements?
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2005, 07:17:11 AM »
On my old bikes ('90 and older) I put a small cap of Metho in the tank every 3rd or 4th fill up - but I don't worry about it in the B12.
AUSSIEBANDIT (MICK)
02B12

"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool"

Offline B6mick

• Board Homesteader!
fuel supplements?
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2005, 08:01:16 AM »
On my old bikes ('90 and older) I put a small cap of Metho in the tank every 3rd or 4th fill up - but I don't worry about it in the B12.

I still do, don't ask me how but evrytime I get caught out in the foulest of Melb weather, somehow water finds its way into the fuel system. If I dont use Metho I have to drain the fuel bowls half a dozen times or so to get rid of the water, and the B6 hates water in the fuel and tells me so.
Foot loose and fancy free.
Looking for adventure and what ever comes our way.