Author Topic: Used B1200, what to look for  (Read 2617 times)

Offline SantaCruzRider

• New user!
Used B1200, what to look for
« on: November 03, 2008, 04:55:12 PM »
I came across a '97 Bandit 1200S and am thinking about buying it. It looks clean, but has about 39k miles - supposedly all adult-ridden commuter. Supposedly the maintenance has been kept up, with recent new shock rebuild and new fork seals.
Guy isn't riding it anymore and the battery was too low for it to start Saturday, but he promises it will. I told him I'd come back for a test ride when the weather clears (rain all weekend). He wants under $2k.
So, I have three questions:
1. Assuming no major mechanical issues -- does this sound like a good deal?
2. Should I be worried about the mileage or do I have a decent chance of this bike running for another several years and double the mileage?
3. Are there specific mechanical issues I should look for (or test ride for) before buying?
Thanks for any advice.

Offline txbanditrydr

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
Re: Used B1200, what to look for
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 05:35:03 PM »
Sounds pretty fair to me but I'd check NADA and KBB too.... assuming no mechanical issues.

Mileage is not bad at all - less than 4K a year and if the oil/filter was changed regularly the motor should have a LOT of miles left in it... more than double.

Check the condition of all lines and hoses - especially brake lines, which should be replaced every 4 years (OEM type).  Check the chain for loose/tight spots by rotating the wheel while on the center-stand.  Check the sprocket for hooking or other wear indicators.  Check the type of oil filter being used - be wary of FRAM type filters.  Check for jetting or at least if the A/F screw plugs have been removed.  Check the date code on the tires - anything over 4 years old is due for replacement.  Check the brake pads for wear - make sure there are grooves still showing... the fronts are easier to see than the rear.  Check that all lights work including tach, speedo and all miscellaneous lights work.  Rotate front wheel and check for warped rotors or excessive drag.  Check inside of gas tank for rust or cruddy appearance.  Pull seat off and check for worn paint or repaired areas.  Check for OEM tool kit. 

I'm sure there are some other things to consider (test ride too) and even if you have to replace a few items you'll still have a lot of machine for the money.  Good luck and keep us posted.

'01 B600S ... sold
'05 B1200S ... Top 20 mods... #20 through #2 - All The Usual Ones, Yada, Yada  & #1... 150,000+ Miles and Counting!!!!

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 02:21:30 PM »
+1 with what tx said... but I'm a little surious about the shock being rebuilt.  The stock shock is not rebuildable, so I'd inquire about if an aftermarket or GSXR shock has been added - as these are rebuildable.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline SantaCruzRider

• New user!
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008, 07:03:27 PM »
Thanks for the feedback. I'm feeling better about giving it serious consideration.
That's an interest comment about the rear shock. I'll have to ask more questions about that.
Now that I think about it, the bike feels a bit lower than the new model I've seen at a local dealer. Could the shock replacement have something to do with seat height? I'll ask the seller for more details -- hope to test ride this weekend.

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2008, 11:47:57 AM »
That's a possibility, depending on what shock was used (but normal choices for a '97 wouldn't lower it). It may be possible it has lowering links or an aftermarket seat to give it that lower stance.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)