Author Topic: Bandit is sold, now what?  (Read 8797 times)

Offline drewpy_dawg

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Bandit is sold, now what?
« on: February 27, 2008, 12:49:59 PM »
I just sold my bandit, need to sell our other bike and one car, then going to buy another bike to replace all 3. 
Requirements:
1. Good performance; both straightline and good cornering ability.  (Bandit, obviously, was good here.  Hyosung is, for a cruiser, good here except for aggressive right turns where I scrape really quickly)
2. Comfortable 2-up riding.  Bandit, FJR1300 won't work, we've tried with mine and sat on a FJR yesterday.  My wife has some "junk" that makes fitment an issue.  Hyosung has a tiny pillion so it won't work.
3. Easily obtainable luggage.  Bandit could do this, hyosung can't because it is a bastard stepchild of the motorcycling world.  Bandit's luggage options were fairly limited too...I want hard sided, lockable storage as this is going to be my primary means of transport. 
Bikes that I have considered seriously and we've tried on:
1. 03 Goldwing (shudder...I'm only 30!)
2. Valk Interstate (basically a goldwing but "cooler" in the eyes of other motorcyclists
3. Suzuki M109r (expensive and getting hard luggage is still fairly pricey but do-able.  Back seat is questionable somewhat still)
4. Yamaha Stratoliner.  (giant v-twin, air cooled.  I am positive the hyosung could easily out run it or really any of these bikes).
5. Triumph Rocket III touring. (de-tuned for MORE torque and less hp, questionable electrics (lucas still lives at the heart of all british made vehicles), some questionable engine issues, expensive, insurance possibly higher due to massive engine, dealer I was planning on using just went out of business, etc.  BUT its the only bike so far that has the OOMPH I am looking for. 
I know everyone here are bandit riders.  Some day when we can afford a second bike, the bandit will be at the top of the list as I loved mine and already miss it.  I"m just looking for insight from this community.  Maybe you've ridden these, know people that have, etc and can offer advice I can't find elsewhere on the 'net. 
TIA (thanks in advance)
Drew
2002 Bandit 1200s - Blue - Holeshot exhaust, pod filters and dynojet stage 3 jet kit and carbon fiber look accessories.  
2006 Hyosung Avitar GV-650 (wife's bike) -Silver- bone stock (and pretty darn fun to ride)

Offline SmokeyAndTheBandit

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Bandit is sold, now what?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 01:44:15 PM »
Hyosung? (SHUDDER!)
I'm not a fan of knock off bikes. They really ripped off alot from Suzuki bikes. I wouldn't feel safe riding anything with their "reverse engineering". AKA, make it the same except with cheaper materials and quality.
Mike
"If every instinct you have is wrong, then the opposite would have to be right." -Jerry Seinfeld
1997 Bandit S 600

Offline drewpy_dawg

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 02:21:17 PM »
umm...the parent company IS Suzuki.  They aren't reverse engineered...they ARE engineered by Suzuki.  The engine in the avitar is 90% the same as the SV-650 with better bushings on the cam's, different cams for more torque,etc. 
The throttle/starter/etc unit is identical down to the punch out on my old bandit (and hazard lights on the hyosung) as the hyosung.  This company makes alot of the parts on Suzuki's anyway. 
Each is own though but its been just as great of a bike as the Bandit but its harder to sell because of thought patterns calling it a knock off like yours. 
Technically, we are ALL riding inferior bikes because they aren't harleys! (according to some...)
Your attitude is no different than theirs...
Drew
2002 Bandit 1200s - Blue - Holeshot exhaust, pod filters and dynojet stage 3 jet kit and carbon fiber look accessories.  
2006 Hyosung Avitar GV-650 (wife's bike) -Silver- bone stock (and pretty darn fun to ride)

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 04:52:12 PM »
I pretty much agree with drewpy, except Suzuki isn't exactly the parent of Hyosung, but they are a major shareholder, so there's certainly a relationship there.  Hyosung has been a Suzuki supplier and/or builder under license for a long time (since 1978) and has been building whole bikes & quads for Suzuki since its inception.  Most of the small Suzuki scooters, motorcycles & quads are built by Hyosung.  If I'm to believe what I've read in the enthusiast press, Hyosung did the engineering and building for the SV650's engine, so the engineering isn't reversed, it's theirs.  The SV650 & GT650 engines are a little different from each other as you can see from just looking at them as well as the 645cc displacement of the Suzuki version vs the 647cc displacement of the 3 Hyosung versions, two of which make more power than the SV version.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Vidrazor

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2008, 05:31:30 PM »
What about a V-Strom 1000 or a Triumph Sprint ST? If it's within budget, a Moto-Guzzi Norge looks like a nice sport-tourer, and of course there's always BMW.

It begs the question, tho, why d'ya sell the Bandit? That would've made a good tourer with some simple mods. Throw some risers on it to get more upright, change the seat to a Sargent or something like that or use Air Hawks front and rear, throw some luggage on it, get a decent windshield, and you're pretty much done.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 05:39:41 PM by Vidrazor »

Offline pmackie

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2008, 05:42:15 PM »
Hey droopy

Sorry to hear the Bandit didn't quite fit the bill. Looking at your list, you may want to consider the Honda ST 1300. Not as fast and nimble as some, but from the people I talk to who own one, generally great for 2 up, good hard bags, fast enough, carries it's weight well, etc.

More sporty than a Gold Wing, not as sporty as an FJR or C14...
Paul
2002-GSF600S, Progressive Fork Springs, B12 Shock,
SS Brake lines, EBC HH pads, Leo Vince Ex & Kappa bags.
Ex Bike Mechanic (late 70's), somewhat rusty
32 years in the Fuel/lubes industry(Retired)

Offline mademiriam

• Site Testing Volunteer
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2008, 06:43:32 PM »
I agree with pmackie, the first thought I had reading your post was ST1300, certainly a capable bike.
'05 Bandit 1200, Full Muzzy, Dyno jet stage 1, 5 degree ignition advancer, Galfer SS Lines, EBC rotors, busa shock, busa forks
'03 R6 trackbike

Offline LowRyter

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2008, 07:26:01 PM »
My belief is that if you need to carry a passenger in comfort, and some gear, you have to go with a touring bike.  You said even a sport tourer, like a FJR or ST, won't work. 

I actually went through that scenario as well.  My wife and I are in our 50s.  I wanted a bike she could be comfy on and wanted to carry stuff.  I also wanted something that would be easy to carry in my RV.  Wellll..........I found out like you, that a sports tourer really won't fill the bill.  They are fine to go cross country, one-up, but no good for a passenger.

OK.  So that means a full touring bike:  GoldWing, Yammie Venture, Harley Tourer (Glide family), Beemer LT, Victory Vision.  Big Bucks, heavy bikes, not the best to haul in my RV.  But the wife would be comfy.

Then, I found another approach.  What about a Honda Pacific Coast?  They've been out of production for years & still aren't real cheap but they are light.  I am not sure the wife would still be comfy because I wasn't able to find one.

But.....I finally found something.  Moto Guzzi California EV V11.  This one is comfy for the Mrs (wow #1).  It isn't very heavy (200-300 less than a big tourer) (wow #2).  They don't cost a lot used ($5k - $8k) (wow #3).  They appear to be fairly reliable (crossing my fingers, but you can find these bikes running 100k miles) (wow #4).  I bought one.  They ride really great.  They handle great, much better than any Harley Glide, in fact you might keep up with a Bandit at 75% and BETTER handling at slow sped & parking lots (wow #5)- hey, it's a cop bike (not a cruiser).

I am not making any recommendation.  I just needed a second bike.  It sounds similar to you.  I really like it,  I found a great deal on a Moto Guzzi, the people that own them are fanatics.  the guy a I bought mine from has another one.  here's the link for Dave's bike:

http://www.mgnoc.com/images/classifieds/fischman.jpg

http://www.mgnoc.com/classifieds.html
(the entire link)

too bad that one doesnt have the HB bags on it like mine but instead has cruiser bags.

good luck

« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 08:54:17 PM by LowRyter »
John L

1998 Red Suzuki GSF-1200S
1998 Red & Cream Moto Guzzi V11 EV
2001 Greenie Moto Guzzi V11 Sport

Offline SmokeyAndTheBandit

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2008, 07:52:14 PM »
Hmm... I didn't know Hyosung was a big shareholder. Then according to my thought proccess, I'm riding a piece of crap :duh:. Next time I'll just open mouth and insert foot.  :wink:
Mike
"If every instinct you have is wrong, then the opposite would have to be right." -Jerry Seinfeld
1997 Bandit S 600

Offline drewpy_dawg

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2008, 10:01:59 PM »
My belief is that if you need to carry a passenger in comfort, and some gear, you have to go with a touring bike.  You said even a sport tourer, like a FJR or ST, won't work. 

Then, I found another approach.  What about a Honda Pacific Coast?  They've been out of production for years & still aren't real cheap but they are light.  I am not sure the wife would still be comfy because I wasn't able to find one.

But.....I finally found something.  Moto Guzzi California EV V11.  This one is comfy for the Mrs (wow #1).  It isn't very heavy (200-300 less than a big tourer) (wow #2).  They don't cost a lot used ($5k - $8k) (wow #3).  They appear to be fairly reliable (crossing my fingers, but you can find these bikes running 100k miles) (wow #4).  I bought one.  They ride really great.  They handle great, much better than any Harley Glide, in fact you might keep up with a Bandit at 75% and BETTER handling at slow sped & parking lots (wow #5)- hey, it's a cop bike (not a cruiser).
Pacific Coast was a consideration but being a 800 cc v-twin based on the 750 shadow v-twin means about half the power I'd be happy with. 
I will check out the Guzzi recc.  The place where I bought my Hyosung sells Guzzi's (maybe could do a trade-in...). 
Certainly can't hurt :) 
Drewpy

Offline drewpy_dawg

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2008, 10:03:45 PM »
Oh, and I will be checking out an ST1300.  The demo at the local honda shop was out being Demo'ed and that is the only one they have right now.  FJR almost worked but the back of the grab handle cut into the wife's hieney. 

Offline LowRyter

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2008, 12:29:15 AM »
Oh, and I will be checking out an ST1300.  The demo at the local honda shop was out being Demo'ed and that is the only one they have right now.  FJR almost worked but the back of the grab handle cut into the wife's hieney. 

good luck, I just couldn't get any sports tourer to work for the passenger.  The backrest was a must.  Most of the V11 have backrests & full luggage.  New ones are pretty expensive, there are some good used ones.  In fact, they sell for about the price of used Harley clone.
John L

Offline drewpy_dawg

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2008, 01:44:46 AM »
Our budget, since we are getting rid of 2 bikes and a car is enough that at the top end, I could probably consider a Harley except for reliability.  Then again, I'm considering a triumph too...heh

Offline LowRyter

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2008, 08:22:06 AM »
Our budget, since we are getting rid of 2 bikes and a car is enough that at the top end, I could probably consider a Harley except for reliability.  Then again, I'm considering a triumph too...heh

Then I'd recommend the Gold Wing with ABS.  Awesome scooter.  The new ones really handle. I couldn't keep up with one on the Bandit while while in the drenching rain in Smokey Mtns.  That windshield keep them dry while my helmet was fogged and that ABS kept him humming.

I think in the full touring realm, for 2 up riding, that the GW is the true standard.  It's the only Asian bike that has re-sale better than the Harley.  Expect to spend $20k for a new one, depending n options.
John L

Offline drewpy_dawg

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2008, 10:02:00 AM »
Our budget is "under 20k" for sure. 
That, and I'm only 30...I'm not sure I'm ready for a gold wing...ya know?