Author Topic: BMW Introduces 800cc Parallel Twin Sportbike  (Read 5652 times)

Offline PeteSC

• Board Homesteader!
    • SouthChinaLady
BMW Introduces 800cc Parallel Twin Sportbike
« on: October 07, 2005, 02:42:36 PM »
Sep 30, 2005

From a press release issued by BMW Motorrad:

The 2006 BMW F 800 S.
PUSHING INTO THE MID-RANGE: The new BMW F 800 S twin-cylinder

Munich - With its completely new mid-range sports bikes, BMW Motorrad is ringing in the next round of its model offensive. In the first half of 2006, the F 800 will be the fourth model series to come off the Berlin assembly lines and it is sure to stir up the middle class. The F 800 S is an 800-cc twin which offers lots of character, an excellent suspension and typical BMW properties.

The athletic F 800 S sports bike has a dry weight of under 419 lbs. (approx. 441 lbs. ready-to-ride) and is the first model of the new and separate model series. The precise suspension is designed for high directional and cornering stability as well as optimum handling. The classic BMW qualities such as safety, compliance with the highest environmental standards, ergonomic seating position and comfort also for the passenger define the new standard in the mid-range bike. A closed-loop three-way catalytic converter, state-of-the-art digital engine electronics and optional ABS are also a matter of course for this motorcycle.

With regard to the drive-line, BMW Motorrad is continuing with the innovation introduced on the F 650 CS and makes use of the low-maintenance and quiet-running belt-drive. It is lighter than shaft drive and represents the optimum combination of weight, space requirements, efficiency and service life in this performance class.

The engine is also a completely new design. It was developed in cooperation with Bombardier-Rotax GmbH. It is manufactured in the Austrian Rotax plant and is delivered to the Berlin production line ready-for-assembly. The first two-cylinder inline engine in the history of BMW Motorrad features a four-valve design. High 12:1 compression and a combustion chamber designed similarly to the one used in the new K-engine ensure effective and low-emission combustion, as well as efficient fuel consumption which will be considerably lower than that of the competition. Mass compensation for the crankshaft balances unwanted vibrations without foregoing the vigorous characteristics associated with two-cylinder engines. The compact engine unit with integrated 6-speed gearbox has been designed for balanced power delivery and uncomplicated riding pleasure. A peak output exceeding 80 bhp with respective torque will also satisfy a sports-rider's needs.

The new BMW F 800 S will be presented to the international press and then the public for the first time at the EICMA Motor Show in Milan on 15 November 2005.
The price has not yet been set.

Spartanburg, SC
'99 Bandit 1200
'03 DR650
I'm really a very hot, sexy,lesbian, trapped in this fat, middle-aged, male body......

Offline rider123

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2005, 02:59:19 PM »
it looks like a z750s with 2 less cylinders, 30 less horsepower, and more expensive parts....Don't break a taillight!

Looks nice though.
2005 Bandit 1200, Modified Holeshot Stage 1 with 17.5 pilots 2.75 turns out, and 110 mains 5 shims. Muzzy Slip on w/mid-pipe, stock filter. 1.5" hole in the airbox lid.

Offline B12Teuton

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2005, 03:00:27 PM »
Good chick bike for the air/oil heads to buy their hoochies.

I doubt it will catch on in the States.
Manny
ATGATT (all the gear all the time!)
2006 KTM450XC Thump-whore

Offline Ronin

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2005, 03:28:52 PM »
Speaking of new BMW's did ya'll see the new K1200S?

http://motorcyclistonline.com/roadtests/122_0507_bmw/

One of the guys here at the office said he has seen it in person and his first comment was about how long it is.  It looks like a bike RoboCop would ride.

Offline PeteSC

• Board Homesteader!
    • SouthChinaLady
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2005, 03:35:47 PM »
Dunno, Manny.  The damn F650 is selling OK in the US.  Looking at what the F650 sells for here, I'm guessing this thing will come in around $10000, or more.
   Experienced riders probably won't be interested at that price.  People with marque fixations probably will be.
 It's a 'clean' looking bike, though.

I'm a traditionalist enough that if I buy a BMW, I want a BMW engine, and shaft drive.

I guess they've given up on the midsized boxer engine.....
Spartanburg, SC
'99 Bandit 1200
'03 DR650
I'm really a very hot, sexy,lesbian, trapped in this fat, middle-aged, male body......

Offline billster

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.bikepics.com/members/billst/03gsf1200/
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2005, 06:29:00 PM »
Still a Rotax?  If it ain't got two big finned cylinders stickin' out it ain't a Beemer!!!

The older I get, the better I was.

'03 B12N
'77 R100S
'78 XS650 (project underway)
'74 CL200

Offline billybandit

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2005, 06:39:25 PM »
I read about this in MCN months back. Half of a K1200S engine, 80bhp, built for reliabilty blahblah
It's really not something worth looking at, as Rider123 stated, it looks like a German parallel twin take on the Z750s (which itself is a boring looking small version of the Z1000 with an even tackier half fairing slapped on) and the poor power:cc ratio makes it even more boring.
BMW proved they can build non-oldman bikes with the K1200S and R models but they seem to be slipping back.

Having said all that the rear wheel is nice (judging by other pics I've seen). And I'm sure it will never break in a million years

Offline Desolation Angel

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2005, 07:55:08 PM »
I just love Beemers.  So comfortable.  Had a '93 K75 that I'm regretting I sold last February. :sad:   I bet the new one does well.

Offline billybandit

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2005, 08:08:23 PM »
My dad has a '92 K75, reliable as phook. But the handling is "different" compared to my 250! Plus top speed on the BMW isn't much better than my 250

Offline B6mick

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2005, 05:21:34 AM »
Arh yes Bad Mans Wheels.
Like the new naked inline 4 cylinder, super horsepower machine aimed at the streetfighter market.
Hahaha, think they need to fix their Dyno
True figures have just been released, hmmmmmmm
only 145hp, no where near the claimed output.
Foot loose and fancy free.
Looking for adventure and what ever comes our way.

Offline banditII

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2005, 05:59:08 PM »
This new 800 by BMW is a bike I'm going to take a serious look at.  Maybe two years from now I might buy.  I've put 40,000 miles on a BMW 1150RT.  That bike handled amazingly well, and incredibly stable even during hard cornering.  I was never able to get the bike to wallow or become unsettled.  Come into a corner a little too hot, hit the abs brakes half leaned over, and the bike almost drove itself.  BMW has its quirks, they are bikes that have to grow on most people.  I hated mine at first, but I grew to love the thing.  Routine dealer maintenance is high though.  I just wish some of the ducati design team would end up at bmw and show them how to style a bike.  Every once in while BMW makes a looker.  This 800 will appeal to me, especially if it has ABS and heated grips, the usual good bmw ergo's and good handling.  When I had my RT I could just fly thru deals gap in NC and keep up with most guys on sport bikes.  The RT was easy to ride fast.  It didn't have blistering quarter mile acceleration, but was plenty quick in the tight stuff.  Wish I still had the bike, but I traded it for my 05 Bandit.   I would not want to undo that deal.

Warren
Riding motorcycles..........and loving it! :-)

Warren

Offline rider123

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2005, 05:45:05 PM »
I like the look but I wish it were a triple or even a 4 with a few more ponies. I would even consider it with a little more omph under the fuel tank. As we all know BMW are pretty expensive, I'd like to see what the retail price is. I'd also like to see some real dyno figures from it. If it's 80+ horespower now it should be adequate for most people. I have an '84 GS750EF and stock when it was new was 85, I have a Yoshimura pipe on it so even though it has some miles on it it probably has about the same and I wouldn't exactly characterize it as "slow", especially in the power band. But if you're competeing against a z750s which from all accounts is a fairly nice bike(a bit buzzy) with 109 horsepower at the crank and probably thousands cheaper it gets a little more complicated. While you do get some sort of "schtick" buying a bike with a spinning propeller logo on it. Is it worth thousands more? and 20-30 less horsepower? I guess time will tell, it will probably sell well in Europe, and of course if it's a BMW they should have shown the promo picture in black. :-) And I agree if it had ABS(its an option) and heated grips I would seriously take a look as well depending on the price, it's cold in Canada!!! ANd I ride up untill a couple of snowfalls.

I also just learned it's a 180 degree twin so at least it will be smooth. You may lose a little torque but the engine will rev freer I guess that's why it's an "S" version.
2005 Bandit 1200, Modified Holeshot Stage 1 with 17.5 pilots 2.75 turns out, and 110 mains 5 shims. Muzzy Slip on w/mid-pipe, stock filter. 1.5" hole in the airbox lid.

Offline Vidrazor

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2005, 07:28:36 PM »
It has a very 80's look to it. I like it. Who cares if it doesn't go as fast as whatever? If it feels good, it's good to go...

Offline banditII

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2005, 09:37:18 PM »
BMW is bad about releasing HP numbers that are at the crank.  Let's hope it puts out 80+ real wheel ponies.  If it does, it should be a good ride.  One thing I like about BMW is that usually the guys at the dealer knows exactly what accessories go on the bike, unlike the Japanese bike dealers, you go to the counter asking for a rear rack for bike "X" and they don't know a dang thing, they pull out a catalogue, look at it forever then tell me they don't know.  BMW is kinda like Harley in the accessories dept, they have the accessories and good riding gear all in one place.  And although service costs more at BMW, I think they better know what they are doing, more so than the japanese dealers.  Well, they don't have twenty completely new models every year to figure out, they're wrenching on the same basic designs for quite some time.  The horizontal opposed air cooled twin has been around since 1923 and still going and going and going.......

Warren
Riding motorcycles..........and loving it! :-)

Warren

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2005, 03:14:40 AM »
Quote from: "warren renshaw"
BMW is bad about releasing HP numbers that are at the crank.

ALL the manufacturers are bad that way. What sets BMW apart from everyone else is they seem to loose more power between the crank and the rear wheel than most other bikes. It's typical to loose 10-15% of the crank horsepower to drivetrain losses, but BMW's seem to loose 20%.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)