Author Topic: Finally got new 1250!  (Read 4947 times)

Offline H2RICK

• Board Homesteader!
Finally got new 1250!
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2007, 10:45:08 PM »
BanditOne:
I strongly recommend the filter removal tool that fits over the outer end of the filter. It has a fitting on the end that takes a 3/8" extension on the end of a ratchet. That way, you keep your hands clear of the headers, although I still wear work gloves.....just in case. :wink:
The oil from the filter will STILL fall on the lower parts of the headers as you remove the filter....but at least you won't get all those painful burns trying to remove the filter.
Actually, the headers cool down quite quickly and by the time you drain the main sump and THEN remove the filter and then install the new filter and button up the sump you can use an old rag to wipe the worst of the oil from the headers.
You'll still get a few whiffs of burning oil for the first 10 minutes or so on your next ride but I look at it as an "application of an anti-corrosion fluid". :grin:
Ignorance is curable. Stupidity is terminal.
2006 B12S (my new LD road ride)
1976 Suzuki GT550A Mint/Stock w/5K original miles
1978 Kawasaki KZ650C2 Mint/Stock w/2K original miles
1973 Kawi H2A Semi-hot rod
Various other projects in the wings

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Finally got new 1250!
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2007, 12:09:05 AM »
H2RICK is right, the filter removal tool is a wonderful thing.

However, when I did my B1250 oil change, I found I could not get a 3/8" ratchet OR exrension on it, the cross-pipe blocks the way.

But the filter tool also has a stamped nut-shape around the square 3/8" hole that a 17mm wrench fits on. So...

Get the engine hot and start your oil draining underneath.

On the left side, pull the hose back, reach in and place the filter tool over the end of the filter.

Now go over to the right side, reach in with a 17mm box or open-end wrench and loosen the filter until you can spin it easily.

Now go back to the left side, pull the hose back again, and reach in, remove the filter, and lay it down on the pipes hole-up to prevent spilling.

Now just leave it there until the engine cools down. Then you can reach in and remove the old filter, and install the new one.

You can always wear an old pair of gloves to avoid burns...  :wink:
"Hmmm... near certainty of death with little chance of success... what are we waiting for?"

Offline skyrider

• Board Homesteader!
Finally got new 1250!
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2007, 01:59:46 PM »
I may have missed this, but what oil filter tool are you all referencing...something specific?

On another board, there was discussion about changing the oil after the first 20 miles, or so.  Thoughts?

Sky