Author Topic: FIXED A RATTLE ON MY B12  (Read 2728 times)

Offline banditII

• Board Homesteader!
FIXED A RATTLE ON MY B12
« on: June 29, 2006, 09:35:31 PM »
Thought I would relay what I did in fixing an annoying rattle / buzz at 4000 rpm on my Bandit.  Kept trying to figure out where the buzz was coming from and realized I could put hand pressure on the instrument panel and the buzz would go away.  I further narrowed it down to an apparant contact point between the instrument panel and the fairing.  I had a one quarter inch thick rubber mat on hand and I cut out an approx 3" X 3" piece and folded it over and glued it together with super glue.  So I had a one quarter inch thick piece of mat doubled over then carefully pulled back / up in the instrument panel and inserted the rubber between the I.P. and the back of the fairing where they tend to touch.  Buzz seems to be fixed now.  I'll follow up if I have some sort of snafu.

I just thought that some folks might think it's their aftermarket windscreen or something else rattling.  That's what I figured at first since I have a Zero Gravity S.T. screen installed.  But that was not the culprit.
Riding motorcycles..........and loving it! :-)

Warren

Offline banditII

• Board Homesteader!
FIXED A RATTLE ON MY B12
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2006, 09:37:05 PM »
One more thing.  I forgot to mention that I placed the rubber mat in between the two tach / speedo right behind the temp. gauge and idiot lights.

Warren

Offline Slider

• Board Homesteader!
FIXED A RATTLE ON MY B12
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2006, 02:07:07 AM »
Thanks for you post. I've had the same problem, from time to time.
Would you please let us all know the year of S200 Bandit, this fix works for.

Mike in Monsoon land...
it rains every day but the kelp crop thrives....

even 1000 miles from the ocean.  :wink:
Bandit 12, Yoshi can, jets, KNN, Gen Mar risers, 3 Givi 36L hardbags

Offline banditII

• Board Homesteader!
FIXED A RATTLE ON MY B12
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2006, 09:54:02 AM »
Mike, mine is a 2005 B12.  And I recently removed the chunk of rubber mat I used to fix the rattle as it all of a sudden started making even more noise.  I figure the material which was already fairly hard just got worse and started transmitting the vibe thru it, so I replaced it with some weather stripping you can buy at Lowes.  You know, it goes around doors to seal it up tight.  Well, it has a peel off sticky side and is a soft foam.  So far it's working very well.  I placed it in the same place as I had the rubber mat.

Warren

Offline PaulVS

• Board Homesteader!
FIXED A RATTLE ON MY B12
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2006, 10:49:21 AM »
Quote from: warren renshaw
Mike, mine is a 2005 B12.  And I recently removed the chunk of rubber mat I used to fix the rattle as it all of a sudden started making even more noise.  I figure the material which was already fairly hard just got worse and started transmitting the vibe thru it, so I replaced it with some weather stripping you can buy at Lowes.  You know, it goes around doors to seal it up tight.  Well, it has a peel off sticky side and is a soft foam.  So far it's working very well.  I placed it in the same place as I had the rubber mat.

Got pics?   :wink:

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
FIXED A RATTLE ON MY B12
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2006, 01:08:22 PM »
I'm pretty sure Warren's second fix was put in the FAQ about 5 years ago when the 2G's first came out... but there's no reason something like this wouldn't work on any bike that has pieces rattling... just put something in there to dampen the vibes.

You shouldn't need pics for this. Just find the point(s) where things rattle, disassemble enough to apply some sticky foam between the rubbing parts and reassemble. Just like weatherstripping a door or window. You just have to go thru a little more effort than opening the door to apply it.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline banditII

• Board Homesteader!
FIXED A RATTLE ON MY B12
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2006, 05:52:18 PM »
Sorry if all this was repeat into.  No pics, but I didn't need to disassemble anything.  Just stick the foam behind the black gauge portion of the instrument cluster by pulling the instrument cluster toward you if you are sitting on the seat, stick the sticky part to the fairing and turn loose of the instruments.  With the foam there it gives it lots of cushion.  So far so good.  ( You will see that the instrument cluster has normal play in it already, or it should ).

Warren

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
FIXED A RATTLE ON MY B12
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2006, 01:28:27 PM »
That's OK, it could get slow around here if it wasn't for reposts and if everybody always used the search feature.  :wink:

:beers:
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)