Author Topic: Just bought a ZX6R!  (Read 5562 times)

Offline GooseMan

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.soundwerksaudio.com
Re: Just bought a ZX6R!
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2008, 03:44:07 PM »
I moved up from my B4 to a ZZR-600 (same bike as the 00-02 ZX6R, which is 90% the same as the 98-99 ZX6R). My main reason was because I wanted something with an actual fairing and a bit more power for the highway (little B4 used to be SCREAMING at 8000+ rpm on the highway!).

I put almost 10,000km on the ZZR this season, and I'm loving it! I'm really happy I started on the B4 though...as I learned alot with it, especially the throttle and power curve of the 4-cyl engine. The ZZR felt pretty similar to the B4....the power curve was the same...there was just a lot more of it!  :trustme:

Congrats on the ZX6R! You'll love it!
1991 Bandit 400

Offline Broken Boards Skateshop

• Board Regular!
  • 91 Bandit 400
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2008, 10:02:51 PM »
OMG! I am in a terrible mood.  When I went to get this bike all I really cared about and asked the guy about was the transmission.  If it went into gear fine, if it skipped or jumped out of gear at any rpm all that junk.  The guy did not want to let me ride it when I went to look at it (understandable don't want someone dropping his bike) but I planned on taking it for a zip when I went to pick it up and he had some cash in his hand...  However when I went to pickup the bike i had some car trouble and ended up getting there really late, it was pouring rain and the bikes battery was dead so I just loaded it up shook his hand and left and did not take the bike out for a ride until today.  Just pulled out of my driveway and shifted into second and that second gear decided it would skip like crazy!  I am really bummed out and just needed to complain someplace and this seemed as good a place as any... A huge reason I got this bike was because my bandit had a bad second gear and I really did not feel like fixing it.  But now I am back where I started... Cant believe there are so many crooked sellers out there that somehow I managed to buy two bikes with messed up second gears in a row!
(Guess it may not have been as good a deal as I thought.) 

Offline Broken Boards Skateshop

• Board Regular!
  • 91 Bandit 400
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2008, 10:36:32 PM »
Anyone know ruffly what a shop would charge for this kind of job?  I am thinking allot!?  The Haynes manual seems to tell me I would have to take almost every other part off the motor apart to get to the transmission...  Not sure if I am up to that.

Offline pmackie

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2008, 10:53:01 PM »
I'm not familiar with the ZX-6R, but changing tranny gears and/or shift forks IS a pretty big job. Engine out of the frame, usually starter, alternator, clutch etc removed, split the cases and then look for bad parts.

Unfortunately, you really DID want to ensure your rode the bike first...
Paul
2002-GSF600S, Progressive Fork Springs, B12 Shock,
SS Brake lines, EBC HH pads, Leo Vince Ex & Kappa bags.
Ex Bike Mechanic (late 70's), somewhat rusty
32 years in the Fuel/lubes industry(Retired)

Offline GooseMan

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.soundwerksaudio.com
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2008, 05:30:23 PM »
Try to adjust the clutch and change the oil before doing anything, and see if it helps. Also try adjusting the shift lever height.

If that doesnt work, then it sounds like it might need to be replaced :(

1991 Bandit 400

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2008, 11:25:46 PM »
That sucks, dude.  My ZX is a little picky going into N, especially if the oil level isn't perfect, but otherwise shifts GREAT at 24K miles... 

Back to the B4 discussion....  I will say that you have to do a helluva lot more shifting on it to keep up... especially if you're riding with friends on big, torquey twins.    All the power is way up top.  Randy mentioned Pocono.  There are guys on RCs or even Gixxer 750s that don't shift the whole way around that little thing - nuthin' but 3rd gear.  What fun is that????
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7