Author Topic: GSX1100G vs. Bandit 1200  (Read 24632 times)

Offline Katamaniac

• Board Homesteader!
GSX1100G vs. Bandit 1200
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2007, 11:09:20 AM »
Quote from: "JReviere"
Hummm... Read these posts about buzziness yesterday. Went out and rode my 01B12S to see if I'd missed something. With no bar end weights, handle bar filled with BBs and capped... all gears and speeds up to 70 cruise... no buzz felt... Maybe I'm immune, but I don't think so. Last bike was an 03 ST1300 with DUAL COUNTER BALANCE SHAFTS which can be "tuned" with adjustments accessable with the engine running... and tuned to max smoothness at cruise rpms.. I could feel some buzz in the grips at about 3600rpm... but with Bandit... none felt... I guess I'm just fortunate...

JR
Lake Livingston, TX

If you have your bike tuned just right, you should eliminate a lot of the buzz that you feel. Having the BBs in you bars helps significantly too.
2006 Honda ST1300

1993 Suzuki GSF400 Bandit

Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Offline JReviere

• Board Homesteader!
GSX1100G vs. Bandit 1200
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2007, 11:35:06 AM »
Swordmaniac... A good tune of ignition and carb synch does wonders for engine smoothness, to be sure. However, with an inline engine, there is built in vibration simply due to the physics of the power application process. Many makers use weighted "cheeks" on crank shafts and other rotating bits to offset or "counter balance" this natural primary imbalance. There's also the secondary imbalance due to the power pulses being applied to the crank shaft at different points along the length of the shaft. It's therefore rare for one to be silky smooth as is true of a rotary (turbine or wankel), a radial cyclinder arrangement, or even an opposed cyclinder lay out design. Tuning alone cannot suppress the natural harmonic resonance of the irregular spaced power pulses in relation to crank angles and in respect to power pulse application at varying points along the length of the crank shaft. Frame design and vibration dampening weight in the handlebar helps enormously. Thus when I lost one of the bar end weights, I immediately took steps to fill the bar with BBs to dampen any vibs present. They do a rather good job too.

JR
Lake Livingston, TX
Live Long and Prosper.

Offline fritobandito

• Board Homesteader!
GSX1100G vs. Bandit 1200
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2007, 11:44:24 AM »
Thanks for all your responses. I currently own a '95 Kawasaki GPZ and the position makes my back hurt. Before that bike I owned an '01 Bandit 1200. Great bike, but it had the typical oil burning issue with the '01's & '02's. The GPZ was offered to me at a price I couldn't pass up, so I sold the Bandit for about $1000 more than I paid for the GPZ. Anyway, I was considering the 'G' as an alternative to the GPZ because of the upright riding position. Plus, I kind of miss shaft drives.
Christ is Lord!

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
GSX1100G vs. Bandit 1200
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2007, 05:35:25 PM »
In that case, I think you'd like it.

Of course, the engine hop-up tricks that apply to the B12, 1100 Kat & SACS powered GSXR1100 still apply to the "Big G" :wink:
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline doublenaughtspy

• Board Homesteader!
"G" vs "B12"
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2007, 05:53:13 PM »
I had a "G" before the bandit, too.  I had a great time on the big beast, but a beast it was.  Ground the pegs a good bit and it was kinda freaky doing wheelies on it.  In it's day you could get stickys for it.  I used to get race T/Os from a buddy.  They didn't last long, but they were priced right (free).  WAY more comfortable on the long-haul than a stock-seated B12.  I put about 45k on it in the 3 years I had it.  Those were good times.  I'd buy one for a second bike, but here in GA we have WAY too many good roads to be without a carver.   :clap:

Offline Big Bo

• Board Homesteader!
GSX1100G vs. Bandit 1200
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2007, 07:27:39 PM »
Nice bike and very fun to ride. It will not whoop a B12. One of my buddies has one and he used to pick on me all the time. After I got used to the B12`s power he jumped me and I whooped on his ass but good. He will not try me anymore. Nice bike, but no comparisson to the B12. :lol:
2002 Silver 1200S
Two Brothers slip on
Busa shock
Power Bronze Hugger
Zero Gravity Double Bubble
Ivan`s jet kit and air box mod

Ya gota love a 1200 torque monster.

Offline gyrogearcrunch

• Board Homesteader!
GSX1100G vs. Bandit 1200
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2007, 11:52:41 PM »
Quote from: "solman"
It is the cams that are different.  Bandits don't have a shaft drive.  The two main differences that I am aware of is the cams and the engine size.  I can't remember what size engine the 1100 is exactly, but I know that the 12oo is a 1157cc.  I would be interesting to see a race between the three.

Indeed!

I'd like to bring a problem with the M/C press to your attention, though. Someone got the final drive efficiencies reversed. It was printed that chain drive is 88% efficient and shaft drive is 98% efficient. The truth is that these figures are reversed. Think about it: Shaft drive uses two 90-degree changes of direction to deliver power to the rear wheel. There are NO such changes of direction in a chain drive. Get a good oiler for the chain and the shaft drive's main advantage all but disappears. Get an X-chain, and watch how much better your Bandit performs due to a reduction in chain stiffness. Oyez!

Herb

Offline Nitro

• Board Homesteader!
GSX1100G vs. Bandit 1200
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2007, 09:34:10 PM »
I saw a GSX1100G today. Except for the wooden box mounted on the rack, I liked it. If I had seen one before I bought my Bandit, I would have considered it. The speedo, tach, and fuel gauge are identical to the 1G Bandits. The GSX has almost identical HP and torque numbers compared to the Bandit 1200.
97 Bandit 1200S

Offline bronzeback

• Board Regular!
Re: GSX1100G vs. Bandit 1200
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2008, 09:26:52 AM »
Well call me crazy....but I might trade my '97 B12 for a '93 G.  I like my stock Bandit, but the more "Cruiser like" attributes to the GSX appeal to me.  Plus the GSX I'm looking at has a Corbin and Givi Hard bags which suit touring, and is claimed to be in excellent condition, as is my Bandit.  I'm not a nut in the twisties...Offer is for an even swap...meeting the guy today.

Offline vwkaferman

• Board Homesteader!
Re: GSX1100G vs. Bandit 1200
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2008, 11:47:52 PM »
Hummm... Read these posts about buzziness yesterday. Went out and rode my 01B12S to see if I'd missed something. With no bar end weights, handle bar filled with BBs and capped... all gears and speeds up to 70 cruise... no buzz felt... Maybe I'm immune, but I don't think so. Last bike was an 03 ST1300 with DUAL COUNTER BALANCE SHAFTS which can be "tuned" with adjustments accessable with the engine running... and tuned to max smoothness at cruise rpms.. I could feel some buzz in the grips at about 3600rpm... but with Bandit... none felt... I guess I'm just fortunate...

JR
Lake Livingston, TX

You just sparked my creative side. I was wondering about doing something to mine, yeah it's a bit buzzy at certain RPM's. At work, we have this snake sleeve stuff used to protect cables. I could fill that with BB's, seal both ends and see what happens.

Thanks!

James
'74 Beetle. 0-60, probably.
'05 Bandit 1200