Author Topic: How would you compare a Bandit 1250 to ther V-Strom 1000?  (Read 10177 times)

Offline Eleggua

• Board Regular!
How would you compare a Bandit 1250 to ther V-Strom 1000?
« on: July 16, 2007, 10:26:52 PM »
Hi,

I'm trying to make up my mind between these two bikes and wonder if anyone can help me.

I'm a big guy at almost 6'1 and 285 lbs.

My wife and I live in Lakewood and each of us would like to get a bike soon as we get through our endorsement class the 1st week of August, 2007.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Kenrick

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007, 02:36:12 PM »
Moving this to the General section for better visibility.  :bandit:
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Vlad

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Bandit or V-Strom
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2007, 04:54:39 PM »
This is a tough choice I once faced too. here are some of the observations I made in several test rides. I'm comparing stock to stock as most of the differences can be ironed out with after-market stuff.

- Bandit is sportier of the two, although Strom can lean with the best of them too.

- Strom is more comfortable, especially two up. Very natural riding position.

- Strom has more luggage carrying capacity. Think hockey bag strapped to the back seat.

- Although you can take an occasional gravel road, Bandit is not designed for them - Strom is much better on rough/loose surfaces.  

- They both handle very well. Strom inspires slightly more confidence.

- I don't know about the exact weight, but they are both heavy to me, although in a different way.

- Bandit is arguably better looking and has some extra character, IMO. Tons of after-market stuff for it too, so you can turn it into whatever you want - from stunt bike to long distance sport-tourer.

- Both engines are tried, tested and very reliable.

- Strom is fuel injected and has no choke. Big plus when you consider Bandit's cold blooded nature and four carbs (before 2007).

In the end I took the 2002 Bandit 1200S because Strom 1000 was to high and heavy for me (177cm) and Strom 650 didn't have the grunt and speed I wanted (Strom 800?). I have not regretted my decision, but 650 is still in my sights as one of the best do-it-all bikes out there.
Vlad lives in Toronto, Canada and rides http://bandit.xxc.cc

Offline Eleggua

• Board Regular!
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2007, 05:26:15 PM »
Hi,

What a great response. Thank you for the time and effort you took.

Interestingly, the dealer called just a few minutes ago and told me I should also consider the Kawasaki Concours 14 (he's also a Kawasaki dealer). He said for my size, and desire to sit upright, it would be something I should consider. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with this and can contrast the benefits of the Strom vs. the new Concours.

Between the Bandit and the Strom, I'm leaning towards the Strom 1000.

We take the riding course the first week of Aug and will buy immediately after the course.

One of the things I want to do is to get a top of the line GPS and bike to bike radio system (hopefully one with bluetooth - IntaRide Liberty?), and a radar detector.

Any pointers on any or all of the above would be most welcomed.   :grin:

Kenrick

Offline Nitro

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2007, 07:05:06 PM »
A Concours 14 for a first bike? Get an older used one and save some heartache from scratches and (heaven forbid) dropping a new expensive bike.
97 Bandit 1200S

Offline Eleggua

• Board Regular!
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2007, 07:28:45 PM »
Hi Nitro,

Well sort of a first bike. I used to do desert racing when I was much younger. Admittedly it was many years ago, but I found when I jumped on one a few days ago, I had no problem remembering.

This would sure be my first road bike. The Concours is a heavier bike than I had in mind, but the Strom 1000 seems about the best of all worlds so far.

I'll at least ride the Bandit and the Concours but just curious what advise I might get from the list.

Thanks,

Kenrick

Offline Vlad

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2007, 08:31:14 PM »
Quote from: "Eleggua"

Between the Bandit and the Strom, I'm leaning towards the Strom 1000.

I'd say you are leaning in the right direction, considering you'll be riding two-up a lot. You are a tall fella, but I'd consider lowering it anyway. It's a reversible operation that doesn't cost much, and it would definitely help if you don't have to tiptoe it around.

I can't comment on the Concours, but I've heard it has some early model trouble. I can't imagine it being more comfortable than Strom and it's definitely more expensive to buy as well as drop. It may be a good long distance sport tourer, but not for two.

As for GPS, check Garmin products first. I'm currently using a pocket model but am seriously considering the Zumo. It will set you back about one grand with accessories and maps. It has bluetooth, so it may integrate well with a bluetooth communicator.

Offline Eleggua

• Board Regular!
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2007, 08:45:54 PM »
Hey Vlad,

I'm more and more leaning towards the Strom - not the least of the reasons is the money.  LOL

One note though, my wife will be riding her own bike, not riding two up with me. (maybe once in awhile she will ride with me, but not usually)

Kenrick

Offline Vlad

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2007, 09:49:17 PM »
One note though, my wife will be riding her own bike, not riding two up with me. (maybe once in awhile she will ride with me, but not usually)

That's a slightly different story then. I would definitely recommend the Strom 650 in that case. I have heard many times that it's a better bike than a 1000 and totally agree, having ridden both several times in the same day. It has plenty of torque, it's considerably lighter and lower making it really nimble both on and off road, not to mention the city traffic and parking lot maneuvers. The money you save you can spend on accessories such as hard cases, engine guards, GPS, etc.

I strongly suggest you take them both for a good test ride  and make your choice then.

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2007, 01:14:10 AM »
For what it's worth, I sold my DL650 V-Strom and now own an '07 Bandit 1250. Not because the DL650 isn't a great bike, it is. It's just that I found that I would be riding 2-up after all, so my choice, like you, became between the DL1000 V-Strom and the B1250 Bandit.

Considering I live in the backwoods with a dirt driveway and a 1/2 mile of gravel road away from the pavement, the practical choice for me would have been the Strom. But the Bandit seduced me with her inline-4, fuel-injected, water-cooled power and outstanding handling for a "standard" bike.

I have ridden a friends DL1000 also, and I pretty much agree with most of what Vlad said, except I think Vlad was comparing the Strom to the last generation (air/oil cooled) Bandit... so I'd say compared to the '07, it might be a bit different.

Vlad said: "They both handle very well. Strom inspires slightly more confidence." To me, the B1250 feels much more solid in the twisties, and tracks very true. The Strom was flighty in the curves with a tendency to turn in, and wandered a bit.

The riding position was very upright, I actually prefer a slight lean forward, so the Bandit is more comfy to me. And the Bandit feels more like you're sitting in the bike, as opposed to sitting on the Strom.

Power is not even close, the Bandit has gobs of it. And the Strom vibrated quite a bit, as most big V-twins do. The B1250 is so smooth you'd think you were riding a jet.

Both are fuel-injected and water-cooled, but the DL1000 has a reputation for drivability problems in it's FI system. Some say a re-map cures it, some have given up and just live with flat-spots during acceleration, coughing and stumbling at midrange rpm's, and a tendency to run crappy randomly. I hear the newer models are better, though.

Both Stroms are MUCH better on gravel, but the DL650 is the best. And it vibrates less, and has plenty enough power for solo riding plus gear. So I agree with Vlad... take a good look at the DL650 V-Strom. With the money you save, you can get a lot of accessories too.

BUT... if you plan on staying on the pavement all the time, the Bandit 1250 will spoil the crap out of you and turn you into a torque addict... and you'll be doing a lot of waiting for your wife to catch up at the intersections.  :motorsmile:
"Hmmm... near certainty of death with little chance of success... what are we waiting for?"

Offline Eleggua

• Board Regular!
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2007, 03:15:22 AM »
Really great info. Thanks a  bunch. I can't wait to ride the bandit now.

Thing is that I dislike my feet to far behind me. That worries me about the bandit. Still, I love what you describe.

If you were riding solo all the time, would you still opt for the bandit over the DL650 Strom?

Can I get a (not sure what you call it) luggage box on the back and saddle bags on the side of the Bandit? I'd like to take a change of clothes and shaving stuff on weekend trips.

Thanks again for all the advice.

Kenrick

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2007, 03:17:27 AM »
Yes you can.  There's a Bandit sitting at a local dealer right now with side and top cases on it.
stormi

Dita - 91 Bandit 400 - SOLD
Blue - 02 Hornet 919 - Perfect Gentleman
02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390
17 Husky TC85 converted to 105

Electrosport Charging System Test - it really works

Offline SteelD

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • Route 66 in 2010
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2007, 06:39:31 AM »
I've just stepped off an FJR which is perhaps the closest bike to a Concours. I now have a 1250. The FJR was great 2-up (yet to try the 1250) and it was bigger and heavier. Not normally a problem until you get on a 1250 and realise how nimble, agile and rideable the 1250 really is. I much prefer the weather protection of the FJR and the shaft drive but the 1250 makes me a smile a lot more.

In the twisties, the 1250 leans readily and I have total confidence in its ability. With the FJR, leaning and steering required effort. So, to sum up - the FJR (and probably the Concours) is a bike for long distances and isn't so practical around town or fun riding the twisties. OTOH, the 1250 helps you to really enjoy your riding and with all that torque can probably handle two-up riding with ease. I have never tried a V-Strom and I used to think that little can beat a good twin - with the FJR and now the Bandit 1250, I know that a well-sorted four can deliver bags of torque low-down and be very flexible and relaxed to ride with plenty of power when needed. I've tried many twins inc. BMWs and Guzzis and the vibes, rattles and relatively lack or urge compared to a good four has never left me feeling that I want to buy one.
David
Bandit 1250SAK7 Graphite Metallic Blue (YLE)

Offline salvate

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2007, 11:43:10 AM »
07 1250 Bandit here, speaking on terms of 2 up. I weigh 170 lbs and have 2 upped with a rider in excess of 200 lbs several times. Without re-adjusting suspension from the stock settings she sits a bit lower but otherwise rides nice and comfy with no problems.

I use a little bit more caution in the twisties obviously :) but thats more because of my skill level and being carefull than it is the bandit being handling impared. However the torque of the bike actually makes me feel like im still solo crusing. <-- No Bull! The bandit generates its max torque on the low side of the powerband ( i believe it was 4500 rpm's ) which is great considering around town your going to using lower RPMS when your casualy rideing anyway. Makes it very easy to sprint out of bad situations at low speeds with ease. Dont get me wrong, The entire power band on this bike is a treat!! Youll notice come winter time that your long sleeve shirts are a little short in the sleeves for some reason  :grin:
Proud owner of a
2007 Bandit 1250s

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2007, 12:17:21 PM »
Thing is that I dislike my feet to far behind me. That worries me about the bandit.

The Bandit pegs are a bit higher and farther back than the Strom, but not radical like a full-on sportbike.

And the Bandit seat is adjustable 1" higher to give you a little more leg room.

If you were riding solo all the time, would you still opt for the bandit over the DL650 Strom?

If my Honey would have learned to ride her own bike as planned, I would probably still be riding the DL650 V-Strom.

But after a few thousand miles on my Bandit 1250, there's no way I'd give her up now!  :motorsmile:

Can I get a (not sure what you call it) luggage box on the back and saddle bags on the side of the Bandit?

There are more and more aftermarket companies such as Givi, SW-Motech, MRA, Yoshimura and others coming out with accessories for the '07 Bandit. Hard luggage, racks, windscreens, exhaust systems, etc...

Also Suzuki just came out with their accessories:

http://forums.banditalley.net/viewtopic.php?t=9486

Genuine Suki stuff can be pricey, but generally give you more resale value than aftermarket does.  :wink:
"Hmmm... near certainty of death with little chance of success... what are we waiting for?"