Author Topic: Just bought a ZX6R!  (Read 5751 times)

Offline Broken Boards Skateshop

• Board Regular!
  • 91 Bandit 400
Just bought a ZX6R!
« on: October 28, 2008, 02:23:22 AM »
Just ran into a great deal on a ZX6R and I am loving it so far!  :motorsmile:  Still love my little bandit but its so hard to keep up with the bigger bikes I ride with when Im on the highway or in town.  Probably going to put the little 400 up for sale soon..  Ill miss her though..   :sad:

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
Re: Just bought a ZX6R!
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 08:28:43 AM »
What year Kawi?  I love my 98!  Although, I very, very rarely had trouble keepin' up with anyone on the B4....  Good luck with the new ride.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

• Board Regular!
  • 91 Bandit 400
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 10:49:03 AM »
Its actualy a low km 98.  Ya I never seemed to have to much trouble keeping up when we were actualy out on the road riding.  But when we are either putting around town with stop lights or on roads with 100KM speed limits its kinda tuff to keep up. (My weight didnt help either I am 6`2 and about 200 pounds, poor little bandit)

Offline r_outsider

• Site Testing Volunteer
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008, 09:43:14 PM »
Yeah, when riding the B4 with a group on straight roads and in town I kinda feel like someones little cousin Skippy or something. "Hey guys! Wait for MEEE!!"

Congrats on the new bike. ZX6R is a nice bike. For a Kawi.

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2008, 11:23:43 PM »
The only time I ever felt underpowered with the B4 was on the track (only on straightaways) and in heavy interstate-type traffic - and I think that's just because I wasn't as stupid as the guys I was riding with. 

For the Kawi, if it doesn't have a jet kit....  it should.  Shimmed needles help.  The jet kit makes it like a different bike. 
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline tomacGTi

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 10:55:13 AM »
I can agree with Rob, the only time I feel the B4 underpowered is in a high HP roll-on. Back straight of Pocono where it's WFO for about 30 seconds 4-5 gear, I don't stand a chance. Really though, it's only when the speeds go above 100-110 that I wave bye bye.

Even then, it really isn't so bad mainly because if the road or the track gets tighter, it's right back to business as usual. I generally ride with a bunch of guys from the local Ducati group and its only the guys who are total track-nuts that walk all over me. Even then, they're in sight and within reason.

I'd love a bigger HP bike but for the cost of maintenance and $75 a year insurance, I'll stick with what I've got for now.

Offline Dragbike

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008, 08:13:03 PM »
- and I think that's just because I wasn't as stupid as the guys I was riding with. 
:trustme::clap: :grin: :bigok:
01 Bandit 1200S
99 FLHTCUI Ultra Classic Electra Glide
89 GSXR 7/11 w/turbo
88 GSX600F Katana w/1127 :)
82 Harley FLT
79 Harley Super Glide FXEF
I’m getting Old--- I remember when Sex was safe and Motorcycles were dangerous!

Offline r_outsider

• Site Testing Volunteer
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008, 09:10:57 PM »
I'm not arguing that the B4 isn't a great bike-because it really is. I love that little bike. But if you do ride in groups (which I usually avoid anyway) and live in a place like here, where it's all very flat and very, very straight, and you give up 50 to 100 horsepower to everyone else, the light turns green and the B4 rider ends up trying to keep up with a bunch of two wheeled rockets and getting left behind routinely, which just gets old. There's no curves to catch back up in, either. You'll see them at the next light. Maybe.

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2008, 11:51:01 PM »
I'm not arguing that the B4 isn't a great bike-because it really is. I love that little bike. But if you do ride in groups (which I usually avoid anyway) and live in a place like here, where it's all very flat and very, very straight, and you give up 50 to 100 horsepower to everyone else, the light turns green and the B4 rider ends up trying to keep up with a bunch of two wheeled rockets and getting left behind routinely, which just gets old. There's no curves to catch back up in, either. You'll see them at the next light. Maybe.

Oh C'mon!  I don't leave you that far behind... it's the other 919 we ride with that does that.....  :stickpoke:
stormi

Dita - 91 Bandit 400 - SOLD
Blue - 02 Hornet 919 - Perfect Gentleman
02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390
17 Husky TC85 converted to 105

Electrosport Charging System Test - it really works

• Board Regular!
  • 91 Bandit 400
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2008, 11:42:37 AM »
Exactly thats what Im saying r_outsider.  I will have to wait untill next summer to see how I fair with a group on a 600.  Well I am on the kawasaki topic anyone know a good place to get color matched touch up preferably spray can stuf to fix up the fairings a bit untill I have to cash for new fairings and or new paint?  Or if anyone happens to have some nice zx6r fairings they dont need taking up space... lol worth a shot 

« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 11:53:59 AM by Broken Boards Skateshop »

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2008, 02:19:50 PM »
...anyone know a good place to get color matched touch up preferably spray can stuf ...? 

Try Color Rite, not exactly cheap, but it's the only source I know of for color matched motorcycle paint, short of going into an automotive paint store and having them blend something for you.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2008, 03:27:58 PM »
Try Color Rite, not exactly cheap, but it's the only source I know of for color matched motorcycle paint, short of going into an automotive paint store and having them blend something for you.

And even if you do go to a auto body supply shop or similar to match the paint, even if they have a panel to do it off of, they still can't guarantee that it's right.  When we were trying to get the paint for the CBR, they tried 4 times, and finally I said, look, this is costing you money now, and you obviously can't match it.  refund my money and I'll go to a body shop.

The body shop mixed it in 5 mins from the code, and it was perfect. (besides maybe a  half shade for fade)  Not bad for an 8
yr old bike
stormi

02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2008, 07:57:14 PM »

Well yeah - the little B isn't going to keep up on flat and straight when out-horsepowered 2 to 1.  Around here, group rides usually seek out twisties and my little 400 was usually near the front with some annoyed supersport riders making excuses at the regroup stops.   :trustme:
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2008, 02:06:29 PM »
And even if you do go to a auto body supply shop or similar to match the paint, even if they have a panel to do it off of, they still can't guarantee that it's right.  When we were trying to get the paint for the CBR, they tried 4 times, and finally I said, look, this is costing you money now, and you obviously can't match it.  refund my money and I'll go to a body shop.

The body shop mixed it in 5 mins from the code, and it was perfect. (besides maybe a  half shade for fade)  Not bad for an 8 yr old bike

That doesn't say much for the folk(s) at that auto body supply shop.  They should have the same skills as the body shop guys.  The only problem with going to a body shop is they may not wanna talk to you if you only want to buy a few ounces of paint and they may not be equipped to put it into a spray can for you. If they will mix some up, you could probably get a supply to put it in an aerosol can though.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2008, 11:08:14 AM »
That doesn't say much for the folk(s) at that auto body supply shop.  They should have the same skills as the body shop guys.  The only problem with going to a body shop is they may not wanna talk to you if you only want to buy a few ounces of paint and they may not be equipped to put it into a spray can for you. If they will mix some up, you could probably get a supply to put it in an aerosol can though.

No it really doesn't say a lot about them, but...  I think part of the problem is that certain companies use "secret formulas",... which often comes down to a slightly tinted base (you'll see that with the high end house paints too that's why Ralph Lauren and Behr colors are so hard to match in a "regular" paint, like CIL or whatever).  So if company A makes the original paint, and has say a yellow tinted base, and you go to company B to get the paint matched, and their paint has say a blue base, there's a good chance that they can match 85% or so of the colors, but anything leaning towards a yellow will more than likely not be matched exactly.

In my case, company C (the body shop) had a different brand of paint, that was likely closer to the original.  Plus the guy that mixed my paint at the body shop had been doing it for probably as long as I've been alive.  The "kid" at the body shop supply was closer to my age, perhaps a little younger. 

Experience wins out every time. :)

The body shop I deal with is owned by a former neighbor. :)  And I used to fix his computer.  That gets me some perks, but there are some shops out there that are willing to do a few ounces.

I think I got 8 ounces (about 2/3 a spaghetti jar full), which once loaded into a paint gun will allow you to paint damn near a whole faired bike. (Or in my case, screw up a few times on 2 panels, and have touch up paint for life.)
stormi

02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390