Author Topic: Loading my bandit 1200 in my truck bed  (Read 6668 times)

Offline lucas

• Board Homesteader!
Loading my bandit 1200 in my truck bed
« on: March 29, 2007, 01:57:36 AM »
Hi all,

I have a two part question. First I want to load my 500lb bandit in the back of my truck. What would be the best way to do that? A jack? A lift? A ramp? The truck bed is about 3 feet off the ground.

The second part:  Once it's loaded how best to unload it?

HELP?

Thanks,

Luke

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2007, 02:09:10 AM »
I've loaded plenty of big heavy bikes by using two ramps... one to walk up on beside the idling bike, with the bike on the other ramp, slipping the clutch and giving it a little gas under it's own power.

Just take it slow and easy and keep two fingers on the front brake lever... if you get squirrelly just pull in the clutch and grab some front brake to keep it from rolling back while you get re-adjusted... a little at a time.

To unload, use the same two-ramp method, only the bike doesn't need to be running. Just use the front brake to control how fast you want to let it roll down the ramp as you walk down beside it on the other ramp.
"Hmmm... near certainty of death with little chance of success... what are we waiting for?"

Offline smooth operator

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2007, 06:13:42 AM »
I've loaded/unloaded mine in my van the same way Zen-man explained except my van isn't that far off the ground. So instead of a 2nd ramp all I need is a step wich I use my tool box or cooler (wich I don't recomend)but I do it often enough that I feel comfortable. Loading is easier because your just going straight ahead as where if you don't have room for the bike to come off straight(I have to load my bike on a angle to shut my doors) you have to make sure your back tire is coming off straight.So I'll start mine up when by myself if I have to pull back foward on the ramp to straighten it out. Best thing to do is have a extra hand around just to help guide you. It would be better than dumping your bike.   Dan

Offline Swamp Rat

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2007, 07:37:20 AM »
The 2 ramp method will work but if you loose your balance there is no way you are going to keep you and the bike upright.

I prefer an atv  ramp and I ride it up. Also,put the back tires of you truck into a low spot or a depression in the yard or back up to something like a loading dock. Anything to decrease your angle of aproach will make loading the bike a little easier. Don't try loading or unloading in wet conditions. The front brake won't grab for crap if the bed of your truck is wet.
Brian
20003 1200s
2001 Drz 400e

Offline aussiebandit

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2007, 08:01:10 AM »
Saw this in an Aussie Bike mag

http://www.bikeloader.com.au/
AUSSIEBANDIT (MICK)
02B12

"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool"

Offline pmackie

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2007, 11:25:10 AM »
I use the same 2 ramp method that Zen describes, but it really helps to have a 2nd set of hands on a 500+ lb bike. And as Swamp says, I usually put the rear wheels of the truck on the road, backed against my curb, with a slightly uphill driveway to decrease the angle.
Paul
2002-GSF600S, Progressive Fork Springs, B12 Shock,
SS Brake lines, EBC HH pads, Leo Vince Ex & Kappa bags.
Ex Bike Mechanic (late 70's), somewhat rusty
32 years in the Fuel/lubes industry(Retired)

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • GUNNER G. CWO4 WEPS USCG Retired
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2007, 11:57:38 AM »
:clap:

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2007, 12:07:27 PM »
Quote from: "CWO4GUNNER"
I have heard another easy way is to take a cheap ATV wench and make mount at the far end of the truck bed.

CWO, where can I meet one of those cheap wenches? I'd like to mount one in my bed too...  :evil1:
"Hmmm... near certainty of death with little chance of success... what are we waiting for?"

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • GUNNER G. CWO4 WEPS USCG Retired
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2007, 12:25:34 PM »
:clap:

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2007, 12:37:29 PM »
Oh, you mean WINCH!  :duh:

Just a little humor there, bud.  :stickpoke:

But thanks for the link... Cabela's is a great store. Also try www.sportsmansguide.com for lots of cool stuff like that.  :wink:

Offline lucas

• Board Homesteader!
Bike loading
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2007, 12:57:17 PM »
Thanks for all the responses. I think the ATV ramp would work the best. I found a lot of ramps online that costs less than 150 bucks. A good example is at http://www.atvramps.com/ITF-8546.htm. I think I'll try one of these.

Thanks Again to all!  :beers:

Offline FONDON

• Board Regular!
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2007, 01:08:42 PM »
I have the Black Widow Ramp, (3) piece folding, and just ride it into the back of the truck (ford f150). loaded it before in the rain with no problems. see web site below.

http://www.motorcycleramps.com/black_widow.htm

Offline Have Blue

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2007, 05:18:34 PM »
Same one I have and use with either my truck or trailer.  Ride the bike in, ride the bike out.  :-)

Blue

Quote from: FONDON
I have the Black Widow Ramp,
03 B12 S
79 XS400

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2007, 08:56:57 PM »
OK... just confirming what most already know... I'm a dumbass.  With the track bike, I'm on and off trailers and trucks all the time - usually all by myself.  My wife bought me a set of two ramps.  I keep thinking I should sell the second one because I never use it.  I usually push the bike til the front wheel gets on to the trailer/truck, hold the front brake while I climb onto the trailer, nearly dumping the bike every time and then strong arm the bike the rest of the way up.  Use the other ramp to walk up????  BRILLIANT!!!!   :duh:
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2007, 02:24:11 AM »
Quote from: "PitterB4"
OK... just confirming what most already know... I'm a dumbass.  With the track bike, I'm on and off trailers and trucks all the time - usually all by myself.  My wife bought me a set of two ramps.  I keep thinking I should sell the second one because I never use it.  I usually push the bike til the front wheel gets on to the trailer/truck, hold the front brake while I climb onto the trailer, nearly dumping the bike every time and then strong arm the bike the rest of the way up.  Use the other ramp to walk up????  BRILLIANT!!!!   :duh:

If it's one of the ATV ramps with the rungs,... consider putting some plywood, with some 1x1s (fastened with carriage bolts) to rest against the tops of the rungs down on top of the ramp (that you're walking up) too.  That way, you don't have to be watching your footing, the bike, the ramp, and the truck/trailer at the same time.  You just know that anywhere you step, you're safe.
stormi

Dita - 91 Bandit 400 - SOLD
Blue - 02 Hornet 919 - Perfect Gentleman
02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390
17 Husky TC85 converted to 105

Electrosport Charging System Test - it really works