Author Topic: Luggage options  (Read 6766 times)

Offline SmokeyAndTheBandit

• Board Homesteader!
Luggage options
« on: February 11, 2008, 07:46:42 AM »
Right now I only have a tank bag. But this summer I'd like to go on a few 2 or 3 day camping trips so I'm going to need more luggage. I'm not interested in spending $500+ for hard luggage. I'd like maybe some soft bags or maybe just a decent sized tail bag. I don't need to carry more than the essentials. What are some good options for me? Anyone have any pics of their luggage?
Mike
"If every instinct you have is wrong, then the opposite would have to be right." -Jerry Seinfeld
1997 Bandit S 600

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Re: Luggage options
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 10:20:54 AM »
Here's a pic of what I use for travel:

A Joe Rocket "Sport" tank bag (no longer a 'current' model, but is still available from some retailers - here's one) and a 45L Ventura Bike Pack system The current kit comes with a 51L bag now.  It retails for $375 (can be found online for less) and comes with brackets for interchangeable racks, a Sport Rack (normal looking luggage rack), Pack Rack (luggage rack with a tall loop for attaching Bike Packs) and the pack itself.  The pack just slips over the loop on the rack and attaches with a couple of straps with buckles, making it quick and easy to install & remove the bag.  The bag can be positioned on the forward side of the loop if you're riding solo, leaving the rack exposed for mounting more suff, or just to keep the weight forward.  For 2-up duty, or if (like me) you like having the room to swing your leg over the seat, you can mount the pack on the back side of the loop on the rack.  The interchangeable racks slip in/out of the backets and are locked in place with knurled screws and jambnuts.  At least on the 2G B6/12, even the brackets can be removed in a couple of minutes if you don't want them on the bike.  This setup does carry your luggage weight higher than saddle bags, but if you're travelling light and aren't packing heavy stuff, the CG difference isn't that great and this kind of setup will not rub against any painted parts, which is a plus for me.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 01:43:15 PM »
Hmm... I didnt see any mounts for 1st gen bandits. What does yours mount to? I no longer have grab rails on my bike so I can't mount anything there.
Mike
"If every instinct you have is wrong, then the opposite would have to be right." -Jerry Seinfeld
1997 Bandit S 600

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 04:26:57 PM »
 :lol: Their fitting guide shows how to install a typical system - and they use a 1G for their demo.  :bandit:  The 2G mounts the brackets to the grab rail and front bungee spool points, but the 1G mounts differently, as you can see by looking at their fitting guide link.

The 1G is still listed on their Suzuki Applications page.

The part number for the 1G's Tour Kit (like I mentioned above) is # KS1068
Here's the link that lists all their stuff available for the 1G B12

And for the 3G/4G 650/1200/1250 owners, they have kit for those, too.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 04:29:17 PM by Red01 »
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 05:16:54 PM »
They don't list anything for the 1G B6, would the 1200 kit work?
Mike
1997 Bandit S 600

Offline Vidrazor

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2008, 11:07:04 PM »
I use the Tourmaster/Cortech sport tail bag and saddlebags. The tail bag has bungee clips that can hook onto any part of the frame you have available, while the saddlebags wrap around your frame and rear section. You can see the sport tail bag here:
http://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/product.php?productid=148&cat=31

Apparently they are no longer selling the saddlebags, as they don't have any links to either the sport saddlebags pictured here:
http://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/home.php?cat=31
or the larger capacity "TriBag" saddlebags pictured here:
http://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/product.php?productid=234&cat=44

It's unfortunate, as the sport bags have been perfect for me, they aren't overtly large and fit on my B4 without hitting the exhuast and still allowing for a passenger if needed. The tail bag converts to a backpack if you're carrying a passenger. The larger TriBags certainly seemed handy if you needed the extra space.

If the sport saddlebags interest you, there may still be stock available from dealers.

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2008, 06:12:58 AM »
Now that's more of the price I was looking to spend! I have a Cortech tank bag and the quality is great! I checked ebay and you can get the sport saddlebags on there. This may be the route I go.
Mike
1997 Bandit S 600

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2008, 11:34:34 AM »
They don't list anything for the 1G B6, would the 1200 kit work?

:lol: Yes, they do list the 1G B6... "GSF 600 Bandit  1996-1999" is shown ~80-90% towards the bottom of the Suzuki Apps page I linked earlier, just below the SV650's and just above the GSX600 Katanas.

But to answer your question, yes, the 1G B6 uses the same kits as the 1G B12 (KS1068 for the Touring Kit).  :bigok:
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2008, 04:24:44 PM »
:lol: Yes, they do list the 1G B6... "GSF 600 Bandit  1996-1999" is shown ~80-90% towards the bottom of the Suzuki Apps page I linked earlier, just below the SV650's and just above the GSX600 Katanas.

But to answer your question, yes, the 1G B6 uses the same kits as the 1G B12 (KS1068 for the Touring Kit).  :bigok:

:duh: Not sure how I missed that...twice! The price for that isn't too bad either.
Mike
1997 Bandit S 600

Offline Dragbike

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2008, 09:16:50 PM »
I use the Tourmaster/Cortech sport tail bag and saddlebags. The tail bag has bungee clips that can hook onto any part of the frame you have available, while the saddlebags wrap around your frame and rear section. You can see the sport tail bag here:
http://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/product.php?productid=148&cat=31

Apparently they are no longer selling the saddlebags, as they don't have any links to either the sport saddlebags pictured here:
http://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/home.php?cat=31
or the larger capacity "TriBag" saddlebags pictured here:
http://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/product.php?productid=234&cat=44

It's unfortunate, as the sport bags have been perfect for me, they aren't overtly large and fit on my B4 without hitting the exhuast and still allowing for a passenger if needed. The tail bag converts to a backpack if you're carrying a passenger. The larger TriBags certainly seemed handy if you needed the extra space.

If the sport saddlebags interest you, there may still be stock available from dealers.
That is what I have and I love them..... Solo I do this

and 2 up I have a Holeshot back rest and rack so I  mount the Sport tail bag upright on the rack/backrest. I think it is a great setup and on and off in seconds.
Brent
01 Bandit 1200S
99 FLHTCUI Ultra Classic Electra Glide
89 GSXR 7/11 w/turbo
88 GSX600F Katana w/1127 :)
82 Harley FLT
79 Harley Super Glide FXEF
I’m getting Old--- I remember when Sex was safe and Motorcycles were dangerous!

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2008, 09:11:19 AM »
Iron pony still sells the sport saddlebags! I can't wait for spring now! Next thing I need to find is a decent lightweight tent I can fit in those bags. One made for hiking/backpacking would probably be ideal. I'll probably have to strap my sleeping bag down with my cargo net. Anyone else ever do any camping on their bandit?
Mike
1997 Bandit S 600

Offline Pillage

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2008, 09:27:11 AM »
Anyone else ever do any camping on their bandit?
Absolutely!  Two-up with tent, tarp, queen size air mattress & 2 sleeping bags.  It beats the day-lights out of the rear tire but it's worth it!  I have a Givi rack (piled high) and two big hard cases so it's not that tough if you pack it just right. 
FZ1000S,  GSF1200SV,  CB750F
Support the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2008, 10:04:05 AM »
I just scored the complete cortech sport tribag, brand new on ebay for $170 shipped!
Mike
1997 Bandit S 600

Offline Vidrazor

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2008, 04:27:57 PM »
>>I need to find is a decent lightweight tent I can fit in those bags.<<

Check these out:
http://www.rei.com/REI-Outlet/product/750075
http://www.rei.com/product/763164

Even if you ride alone, the extra room is good for throwing the bags in, plus you can sit up. The first one listed here packs to 7x20 inches, which should fit in the saddlebag.

And while you're at it, go for one of these:
http://www.kellykettle.com/

Slightly more adventurous:
http://www.jetboil.com/

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2008, 06:12:55 AM »
Hey that jetboil looks pretty slick! I may have to get one to take along my journeys this summer.
Mike
1997 Bandit S 600