Author Topic: New B1250 Review  (Read 6822 times)

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
New B1250 Review
« on: March 15, 2007, 09:12:37 PM »
Found another review on the '07 Bandit on this guy's blog... it's from Two Wheels Only Magazine from the UK.

I'm not sure of the copyright issues so I'm just posting the link. Click on "Page 1" and "Page 2" to read it:

http://tinyurl.com/2koucw

"More grunt than a constipated bison." He he, I like that.  :bigok:
"Hmmm... near certainty of death with little chance of success... what are we waiting for?"

Offline H2RICK

• Board Homesteader!
New B1250 Review
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2007, 09:02:16 PM »
Yep, I just read the review in MCN, the big Brit bike broadsheet. They liked it too, for the most part. They still moan that it's not the hooligan bike it was in '96.....but IMO that was then and this is now....so get over it, road testers.
 :lol:  :lol:
Ignorance is curable. Stupidity is terminal.
2006 B12S (my new LD road ride)
1976 Suzuki GT550A Mint/Stock w/5K original miles
1978 Kawasaki KZ650C2 Mint/Stock w/2K original miles
1973 Kawi H2A Semi-hot rod
Various other projects in the wings

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
New B1250 Review
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 10:52:23 PM »
Well, looks like I'll have a first hand ride report for ya'll soon, if only a short one... my '07 is finally in country and will be at the dealer next week.

Unfortunately, I'll be having rotator cuff surgery on my left shoulder the week after, and I won't be able to ride at all for at least two months afterwards... so it'll be sitting in my shop getting a thorough, one-armed going over till I'm in shape again.

But I'm pretty sure I can ride it home alright, as long as I'm real careful and take it easy on the throttle. One quick snap and it could pull my shoulder out, the rotator cuff is torn completely off the bone so there's not much holding it together. But I gotta at least get it home so I can get my fingerprints all over it! Wish me luck...  :beers:
"Hmmm... near certainty of death with little chance of success... what are we waiting for?"

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
New B1250 Review
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2007, 09:29:55 AM »
Good news on your bike. Bad news about your shoulder though. Take it easy and heal well. There'll be plenty of time for riding once you're healed.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
New B1250 Review
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2007, 11:12:18 AM »
Thanks, Red... I just went through the same surgery on my right shoulder, and it's a long, painful process getting back in shape. I'm still only about 80%, but it's getting there.

I will be able to "explore" the bike thoroughly and take pics. Things like the location of the O2 sensor, wiring harness, what it looks like under the seat and tank, how much does that big muffler/converter really weigh...

By the time I'm healed up enough to ride, we'll be pretty familiar with the details. I'll keep ya'll posted.  :wink:

Offline JamieK

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
New B1250 Review
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2007, 11:21:50 AM »
Quote from: "ZenMan"

how much does that big muffler/converter really weigh...

I can tell you that the full exhaust for the 06 was just over 30lbs...I expect the full exhaust for the 07 will be slightly more than that...if I recall, the muffler was around 17 or 18lbs...my full Muzzy exhaust is only 12lbs
Jamie K in Edmonton<br />06 B12S, Full Muzzy, Stage 1 jets, Timing Advancer

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
New B1250 Review
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2007, 11:37:07 AM »
So you lightened it up by 18 lbs. just by changing the exhaust sytem... that's great! Not to mention the horepower increase...  :wink:

Did your '06 have a catalytic converter built in? I know the '07 does. That's gonna be the first thing to go, I think.  :bigok:

Offline JamieK

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
New B1250 Review
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2007, 12:24:59 PM »
Yep lost 18lbs and gained probably 10-15hp...bone stock the baseline dyno run was 100.27HP and 73.09ft/lbs (over 70ft/lbs from 4-7.5Krpm)

BTW, before the board crashed you asked me the width of the oil cooler, it is ~14" wide.

Good luck with your surgery!

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
New B1250 Review
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2007, 12:46:38 PM »
:thanks:

The '07 radiator is 18.75"... 4.75" wider. Guess I'll have to wait for the Suzuki lower fairing to come out.   :sad:

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
New B1250 Review
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2007, 12:42:39 AM »
Well, here is the text from the MCN review...  

MCN overall verdict

"Suzuki’s big-bore Bandit gets an all-new engine designed to meet latest Euro legislation. In doing so, Suzuki have created a 98cc bigger, 1255cc water-cooled, fuel-injected, tourque-laden peach of an engine. The frame and suspension have also been upgraded to give a sumptuous, well-mannered mileage machine that can also run in the twisties.

With nigh-on 80ftlb of torque delivered to the rear wheel at 3700rpm, the Bandit’s new six-speed gearbox needs little provocation. It’ll cheerfully pull from 3500rpm in top gear and run on to 140+mph. That gearbox is typical Suzuki: precise, perfectly spaced ratios. And, hoorah, no sign of any fuel-injection stutters or flatspots in its performance delivery.

It’s a Bandit, and as such it carries the tradition of upright seating, sumptuous seat and perfectly placed footpegs and one-piece handlebars. Suzuki haven’t changed the chassis too much from the old (k6) model, just beefed up the frame rails and revised the suspension damping and springs. Big difference, though, as it now steers faultlessly, stable and hides its weight well.

There are two versions of the 1250S – non ABS and with ABS, but Suzuki GB is only importing the ABS kitted version. This isn’t a problem as the ABS is a refined set-up and leaves a lot of the braking up to the rider before cutting in. Suzuki GB will do its usual trick of releasing limited versions (touring, GT etc), but until then a ruck of accessories (topbox, panniers etc) will be available separately.

The old defunct 1200 bandit has a reputation for extreme reliability and a genuine all-rounder. There’s no reason to believe the new 1250 will be any different; Suzuki is aiming for existing Bandit customers to upgrade while attracting new customers with its revised performance. As the redline has dropped 1000rpm and a sixth gear has been added, there’s no danger the new motor will be stressed.

A 1255cc machine that can be used for touring, scratching or as a genuine workhorse should be an expensive piece of kit as it’s many bikes in one wheelbase. But no. Suzuki have pegged the price to just £250 more than the old 1200cc Bandit. For £5549 MCN considers this latest Bandit to be a bargain – its even cheaper than its Honda competition the CBF1000F."

http://tinyurl.com/2xc35e

Can't say I like the phrase "old defunct 1200 bandit" myself, I think it's an outstanding bike and will be around for a long time. Hell, there's still a lot of Z1 Kaw's out there that'll give you a run for your money, with the right upgrades.  :bigok:

Offline H2RICK

• Board Homesteader!
New B1250 Review
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2007, 01:36:11 AM »
Great to hear that your G4 (G3.5??) is on the way to you, Zenman.
I guess there are worse ways to recuperate from surgery than becoming familiar with your new bike.....right ??  :grin:
You guys down south get a LOT longer riding season than us snowbelt folks....so even if you're healing for a month or so right now, the rest of your season is still long enough that you won't miss that healing period. A month or so out of OUR season can be really disheartening..... :sad:
I look forward to your pics and comments on the new bike.
Ignorance is curable. Stupidity is terminal.
2006 B12S (my new LD road ride)
1976 Suzuki GT550A Mint/Stock w/5K original miles
1978 Kawasaki KZ650C2 Mint/Stock w/2K original miles
1973 Kawi H2A Semi-hot rod
Various other projects in the wings

Offline gyrogearcrunch

• Board Homesteader!
New B1250 Review
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2007, 11:22:55 PM »
Thanks, Red... I just went through the same surgery on my right shoulder, and it's a long, painful process getting back in shape. I'm still only about 80%, but it's getting there.

I will be able to "explore" the bike thoroughly and take pics. Things like the location of the O2 sensor, wiring harness, what it looks like under the seat and tank, how much does that big muffler/converter really weigh...

By the time I'm healed up enough to ride, we'll be pretty familiar with the details. I'll keep ya'll posted.  :wink:

Move down to Tampa, FL - there are no emissions requirements heah, so y'all can replace that "steamboat funnel" exhaust can without a second thought, except how to keep the computer happy.

Herb

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
New B1250 Review
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2007, 11:05:01 AM »
Quote from: "gyrogearcrunch"

Move down to Tampa, FL - there are no emissions requirements heah, so y'all can replace that "steamboat funnel" exhaust can without a second thought, except how to keep the computer happy.

Herb

Hey Gyro...  :welcome:  

There's no emissions requirement here in southern Missouri either. The only reason to keep the big stock muffler is for the warranty.

Looks like the bike arrived at the dealer yesterday 03/27/07 and I'll have it home today or tomorrow, as soon as the papers come in. Yeehaa!

I'll post some pics ASAP.   :bandit:

Offline JamieK

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
New B1250 Review
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2007, 11:20:13 AM »
Replacing the muffler will not void the warranty...I replaced the complete exhaust plus did carb jetting and the bike is still covered under warranty.

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
New B1250 Review
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2007, 11:50:08 AM »
Quote from: "Dreadnought"
Replacing the muffler will not void the warranty...I replaced the complete exhaust plus did carb jetting and the bike is still covered under warranty.

That's good news... if that works out then the stock muffler will be going bye-bye.

I would imagine that some dealers could be a stickler about it though... any excuse not to honor the warranty, especially on a brand-new engine design. Also the O2 sensor and catyltic converter may be an issue.

I'll read the fine print.  :wink: