Author Topic: New member intro / interested in the 1250  (Read 4999 times)

Offline sdkoskey

• New user!
    • http://www.koskey.net/scott
New member intro / interested in the 1250
« on: February 26, 2007, 11:52:02 AM »
Hi all.  New guy here.  I just wanted to give a quick intro.  I just sold my Kawasaki ZZR1200 this past weekend.  I've been a Kawasaki guy all of the 4 years I've been riding but I'm not one of those people who stick with one brand of bike.  I get what I like.  I've got a growing list of bikes I'm looking at to replace the ZZR.  That list includes the new Bandit 1250 ABS, an 06 Sprint ST (Sunset red), 05 Hayabusa LE (I love that charcoal paint), FZ1, ST3 and a ZX12r (again.  I had an 03 2 years ago).

I'm so fickle!   :lol:   My wife just laughs at me because I just don't know for sure what I want.

BUT... insurance may be the biggest deciding factor.  The 'busa, ZX12 and FZ1 will all probably be dropped just because of insurance rates.  I'm 40 years old and the 'busa and ZX12 would each cost me about $800/year.  The FZ1 has been quoted at $500.  The rest would all cost me around $300.  That's full coverage.

I've seen a lot of other threads where people are bashing the Bandit or talking up the 'busa.  I've also done a ton of research on every one of the bikes I've listed.  I've ridden most of them too.

This is a very interesting community here!  I'm probably going to end up getting the Bandit though.  I don't need huge horsepower or high speeds.  When I had my ZX12 and ZZR, I never got either of them over 135.  The ZX12 is capable of 186+ and the ZZR will do 175.  I just don't ride like that.  I want more comfort and a lighter bike.  If I have to sacrifice horsepower, so be it.

Sorry to ramble on but sometimes putting thoughts to words helps gain perspective and you guys/gals just got the benefit of my mental ramblings. :bigok: I'll be watching this site for more info and insights from those that buy the new Bandit when it becomes available.

Ride on!

Scott

Offline pmackie

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2007, 12:14:00 PM »
Welcome Scott. I'm interested in a lot of the bikes you are as well, but in the end, the little Bandit is easy to work on, solid as a rock, fast enough for me, with a ton of options to slowly fix it up without spending a bundle. :beers:

I'm also curious about the new Bandits.
Paul
2002-GSF600S, Progressive Fork Springs, B12 Shock,
SS Brake lines, EBC HH pads, Leo Vince Ex & Kappa bags.
Ex Bike Mechanic (late 70's), somewhat rusty
32 years in the Fuel/lubes industry(Retired)

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • GUNNER G. CWO4 WEPS USCG Retired
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2007, 03:08:14 PM »
Just remember buy what you aspire to and not what you would settle for because 40 is the last part of middle age where your feel you can still do just about anything and for the most part if your in shape thats true. So whatever you decide to buy make sure it what you really want because it will probubly be the last really exciting bike you buy before your ready for a twin.

Offline Bob Holland

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2007, 03:47:03 PM »
I will be 60 this year, and I have every intention of slowing down before I reach 70  :motorsmile:
If I didn't have a Suzuki, I would have a Kawasaki

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2007, 04:22:52 PM »
Quote from: "CWO4GUNNER"
because it will probubly be the last really exciting bike you buy before your ready for a twin.

What's wrong with twins?
(of the motorcycle variety)
Even V-twins don't have to be boring...

Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2007, 04:30:20 PM »
Thats the attitude to have. Living in a retired community at 49 I have noticed the bikers here are in 3 categories. Those that feel inspired and ride regardless of age and ailment. Those that are fearful all the time and ride twice a year around the block. Those that allow themselves to fall apart on the sofa and cant ride. One thing for sure there's only a limited time left, so ride and celibate Gods creation on two-wheels while you can.

Quote from: "BHolland"
I will be 60 this year, and I have every intention of slowing down before I reach 70  :motorsmile:

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2007, 04:36:39 PM »
Nothing at all. But with respect to 4-cylinder-500 pound bikes, at some point in my life (65-75) I will do myself a favor and get something much lighter, narrower and flickable. Perhaps a better version of what you posted by that time.

Quote from: "Red01"

What's wrong with twins?

Offline sdkoskey

• New user!
    • http://www.koskey.net/scott
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2007, 06:41:54 PM »
Just remember buy what you aspire to and not what you would settle for because 40 is the last part of middle age where your feel you can still do just about anything and for the most part if your in shape thats true. So whatever you decide to buy make sure it what you really want because it will probubly be the last really exciting bike you buy before your ready for a twin.

That's actually kinda funny to me.  I can't ever see myself on the "twin" that I think you're talking about.  The only twin I see myself getting is an ST3.  I had a friend in Colorado that has a Harley.  I rode it and it won't ever happen again.  My brother owns a Honda Magna.  I rode that too and don't think I'll ever own one like that either.

The Bandit would in no way be something I'm "settling for" any more than any of the other bikes on the list.  They've all got their positives and negatives.  Heck, I've even put together a document listing each bike I'm considering with specs, positives and negatives for each one.

This decision is in way a something I'm taking lightly.  I've been thinking this over for a long time now.  Besides, my decision still isn't final.  Right now, I'm just waiting to see the new Bandit before I go any further.

I will be 60 this year, and I have every intention of slowing down before I reach 70

AMEN! :clap:

But with respect to 4-cylinder-500 pound bikes, at some point in my life (65-75) I will do myself a favor and get something much lighter, narrower and flickable. Perhaps a better version of what you posted by that time.

I don't honestly consider 500lbs. to be very heavy at all for a motorcycle.  My Concours was over 600 before I even sat on it.  From the research I've done, I can't seem to find a bike that weighs in the lower 400s, has decent power, comfortable riding position and has a price tag/insurance costs I'm willing to pay.  The closest I've found is the ST3 and it weighs 443lbs dry.  Upgrade the exhaust on the Bandit and you're down to around 485 already.  Yep, that 40lbs makes a big difference but again, I'm not looking for high performance.  I'm honestly really surprised at all the Bandit owners that expect a lot of performance out of this bike.

Now getting the Bandit and improving it to get more performance... that's gonna be fun.  :beers:

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2007, 08:13:05 PM »
Well whatever you decide to purchase as the Yiddish say "Mazeltov", wear it in good health...

Quote from: "sdkoskey"

That's actually kinda funny to me.  I can't ever see myself on the "twin" that I think you're talking about.  The only twin I see myself getting is an ST3.  I had a friend in Colorado that has a Harley.  I rode it and it won't ever happen again.  My brother owns a Honda Magna.  I rode that too and don't think I'll ever own one like that either.

The Bandit would in no way be something I'm "settling for" any more than any of the other bikes on the list.  They've all got their positives and negatives.  Heck, I've even put together a document listing each bike I'm considering with specs, positives and negatives for each one.

This decision is in way a something I'm taking lightly.  I've been thinking this over for a long time now.  Besides, my decision still isn't final.  Right now, I'm just waiting to see the new Bandit before I go any further.

I will be 60 this year, and I have every intention of slowing down before I reach 70

AMEN! :clap:

But with respect to 4-cylinder-500 pound bikes, at some point in my life (65-75) I will do myself a favor and get something much lighter, narrower and flickable. Perhaps a better version of what you posted by that time.

I don't honestly consider 500lbs. to be very heavy at all for a motorcycle.  My Concours was over 600 before I even sat on it.  From the research I've done, I can't seem to find a bike that weighs in the lower 400s, has decent power, comfortable riding position and has a price tag/insurance costs I'm willing to pay.  The closest I've found is the ST3 and it weighs 443lbs dry.  Upgrade the exhaust on the Bandit and you're down to around 485 already.  Yep, that 40lbs makes a big difference but again, I'm not looking for high performance.  I'm honestly really surprised at all the Bandit owners that expect a lot of performance out of this bike.

Now getting the Bandit and improving it to get more performance... that's gonna be fun.  :beers:

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2007, 11:55:26 PM »
SDKOSKEY...

First off, welcome to the board.  :beers:

I have a '07 B1250 on order. The arrival date keeps getting pushed back, now I'm told 1st week of March. We'll see!  :roll:

I chose the new Bandit for a lot of the same reasons you've stated, with insurance premiums being one of the biggest factors. OTD price of $7749 doesn't hurt either.  :wink:

The other biggest factors were the water-cooling and fuel injection. EFI sorta spoils ya, and the W/C gives the engine longer between overhauls. If you plan on keeping a bike for 5 or 10 years, that's a big consideration.

When you've owned as many big-bore 4-inline muscle bikes as I have they get in your blood. I'm an old Kawi guy too, I can't count how many Z1 and KZ 900's, 1000's, and 1100's I've had, plus GPZ's, a Z1R and even a KZ1300 6-banger for a while there. Not to mention a couple H1's and H2 triple strokers...  :grin:

You know what I'm talkin' about, whether it's 4 years or 40, once you've had a few big 4's you're hooked. All the Bandit 1200 models fit that category, including the 1250. There's not going to be a huge difference between any 900cc up to 1300cc inline-4 family of bikes, they're all around 100 HP and up, they're all gonna be within 50 pounds of 500 either way more or less, and they're all easily tweakable, moldable, and modified to fit your own taste and style.

One thing that excites me a lot about the B1250 is the torque it's been reported to have, at such low revs... 85 ft.-lbs. at 3700rpm? That's insane! I can't wait to see what happens when I do a snap roll-on at 70mph in 5th gear... you can bet I'll have my balls up by the filler cap when I do it!  :banana:

And I'm with ya on the top speed thing... how often will I go over 150mph these days, in my 50's... but then again, the B1250 is no slouch there either. With the extra 6th gear, the theoretical top speed at 9500rpm redline is 186mph... which means probably about 165-170mph in reality. Not too shabby.

Like you, I did my research on what's available for the 2007 model year... and in my opinion, the B1250 is the most motorcycle for the money out there, with the lowest insurance premiums available in a bike with this kind of performance. And it fits my style like a glove... a classic, big-bore 4-inline muscle bike in every sense of the word.

Whatever you decide on I know it'll be the right choice for YOU... and if I get my bike before then and I can help you with any info you need just ask. That goes for everyone else here too...  :bigok:
"Hmmm... near certainty of death with little chance of success... what are we waiting for?"

Offline kedeg_97B12

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2007, 04:49:55 PM »
Quote from: "ZenMan"

With the extra 6th gear, the theoretical top speed at 9500rpm redline is 186mph... which means probably about 165-170mph in reality. Not too shabby.  :bigok:

I can't wait to see the new bike as well!

But the end ratio is very close to what the current B12 has with 5 gears and they won't do 150. They won't even pull into the redline in top gear stock or mildly modified.

Mine will only do 155 (170 indicated) with 1216cc, ported head, cam, full exhaust and I have a hell of lot more power than stock. Either way top speed doesn't matter to me after 2nd gear (100 mph). But then my buddy laughs at me cause his R1 will do damn near do 100 in first. :roll:

One thing that excites me a lot about the B1250 is the torque it's been reported to have, at such low revs... 85 ft.-lbs. at 3700rpm? That's insane! I can't wait to see what happens when I do a snap roll-on at 70mph in 5th gear..

I miss that about mine. When the airbox is removed it loses  the instantaneous response in top gear in the lower mid.

Getting back on subject :banana:

I sat on one in Chicago at the show. Did they lower them? It seemed much lower front and back.
97 1216 Big Bore, Gixxer intake, with
Holeshot commemorative figurine with kung fu grip, Red
12 volt Dewalt drill, Yellow,
Moen bathroom faucets, Chrome

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2007, 06:18:32 PM »
Quote from: "kedeg_97B12"
But the end ratio is very close to what the current B12 has with 5 gears and they won't do 150.
Actually. the 1200 and 1250 have nearly the same ratios in the first 5 gears, according to this chart from the Moto-Station test. So in comparison to the 1200, the 1250 makes the same top speed in 5th gear... before shifting into 6th.

Click here for Moto-Station test of the B1250 ABS and the Honda CBF1000 ABS

So the 6th gear is actually an overdrive.

With the added torque it may have enough power to get close to redline in 6th... but then maybe not. At any rate, cruising in 6th oughta be a real fuel saver.

I guess I'll have to wait till I get it broke in and see for myself. But like we seem to agree, 150mph is plenty enough for street riding, and I'm not going to be a bit disappointed if that's as fast as she goes... not a bit!  :bigok:

You say it felt lower when you sat on it? I wonder if the seat was adjusted to the low position. I do know the frame is slightly shorter than the '06, with a bit longer swingarm, too. But I haven't ridden an '06. I have ridden an '05, and I was impressed. I probably would have bought it (demo w/48 miles) but they wouldn't sell it to me much cheaper than I got a new '07 for.
"Hmmm... near certainty of death with little chance of success... what are we waiting for?"

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2007, 12:05:19 AM »
It seems I see allot of 2nd gen B12's going up for sale younger boomer's move up to a Busa or something larger mostly for their "last horah!" As a result I have seen alot of sweet deals come and go lately with full mods included. So if you would rather be wise guy, leverage only 3-4K in cash coupled with a little patience and research, and you will find a hell of a deal on a B12 and take the 5K saved from the covet mill to the bank.

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2007, 01:47:05 AM »
Uh, I believe we're talking about shopping the '07 models here, not buying a used bike. Obviously used bikes are cheaper, if that's what you want.  :roll:

Offline MADGSF

• New user!
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2007, 12:51:23 AM »
I would suggest you give the Sprint a ride and maybe the Tiger 1050.  I rode both and preferred the Tiget to the Sprint and my Bandit.  Love that motor and the radial brakes are amazing.  I also found my local Truimph dealer provides an experience you will not get in a Japanese dealer, that's a good thing.

On another note living in Dallas kills any chance of cheap insurance if I want full coverage.  I am 43, clean record, riding for 20 years and with Progressive for 4 years.  Full coverage on a 1250 with a 1000.00 deductible is 629.00 a year.

On the bright side a FZ-1 and Tiger 1050 are only 150.00 more a year for the same coverage, yea I think.
'01 1200S