Author Topic: New member intro / interested in the 1250  (Read 5000 times)

Offline gyrogearcrunch

• Board Homesteader!
Slowing Down
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2007, 01:37:08 AM »
Quote from: "BHolland"
I will be 60 this year, and I have every intention of slowing down before I reach 70  :motorsmile:

Shucks, what's age got to do with it? There's a young fella in my riding club (Southern Cruisers - West Central FL) named Ray who just turned 87 and he puts more smiles on his bike every year than the rest of us. I'm a young fella too - not quite 70 yet, so I call Ray "Pop".

I love my '99 Bandit, but am beginning to feel the need for more power lately, so I stopped in at PowerSports on SR 41 in Tampa and put my name on the list for a test ride on the new 1250. I always thought that fuel injection was one of the missing ingredient on Bandits, although those Mikunis did just fine for me.  

Been riding since 1958, when I bought a Parilla 175 at Ghost Motorcycles on Long Island and shipped it to Biloxi AF Base. Had some great times on that little bike in Mississippi, but never figured I'd ever end up owning a bike as good as the Bandit 1200!

I think the best is yet to come, though. Can't wait to get my hands on the 1250.

Herb

Offline gyrogearcrunch

• Board Homesteader!
New member intro / interested in the 1250
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2007, 02:06:04 AM »
SNIP

I don't honestly consider 500lbs. to be very heavy at all for a motorcycle.  My Concours was over 600 before I even sat on it.  From the research I've done, I can't seem to find a bike that weighs in the lower 400s, has decent power, comfortable riding position and has a price tag/insurance costs I'm willing to pay.  The closest I've found is the ST3 and it weighs 443lbs dry.  Upgrade the exhaust on the Bandit and you're down to around 485 already.  Yep, that 40lbs makes a big difference but again, I'm not looking for high performance.  I'm honestly really surprised at all the Bandit owners that expect a lot of performance out of this bike.

Now getting the Bandit and improving it to get more performance... that's gonna be fun.  :beers:[/quote]

Sensible Man! The Dyno says I'm getting 111.4 RWHP out of my '99 Bandit my making just a few changes like adding a Yoshimura RS-3 can, pulling the snorkel out of the airbox, and shimming the needles up a tad.

The rear shock is set to max, and the brakes are helped by SS lines. The wheels wear Metzler ME-Z4's meats (sweet!). The new "X"-ring chain gave a definite boost in power, and the bike is far easier to control since I put on a GS-1150 handlebar.

I have no idea what the top end is now, and I don't care to find out, although I once got up over 135, and accelerating hard,  on I-75 by accident. I was too intent on getting away from a knot of 4-wheelers to notice what the speedo was saying. Don't know who was more surprised - the 4-wheelers or me. But since then, I've had fun blowing off all kinds of cars at the "red-light grands prix", including a few Corvettes (easy!). Amazing how fast cars shrink in those rear-views.

Yep, the 1200 Bandit is all I need, but not all I want. Can't wait to try out the 1250.

Offline r_outsider

• Site Testing Volunteer
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2007, 02:21:02 AM »
All I can say is, when I hit that kind of age, I hope to be having half as much fun as some of you guys are.

Offline Rocketjock

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2007, 01:01:41 PM »
06 BLACK AIRCOOLED MILL FOREVER!!! DIE YOU 07 DOGS!!!
Oh....oh. sorry. That was my evil other self talking. Whatever turns yer crank.
06 B12
Lovin my Bandit
07 KLR.
Too much fun!

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2007, 01:58:20 PM »
Quote from: "Rocketjock"
06 BLACK AIRCOOLED MILL FOREVER!!! DIE YOU 07 DOGS!!!
Oh....oh. sorry. That was my evil other self talking. Whatever turns yer crank.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  He he!

Hey, don't worry, there'll always be a place for you ol' cave-bike riders...  :stickpoke:  :banana:  :bigok:  :beers:
"Hmmm... near certainty of death with little chance of success... what are we waiting for?"

Offline smooth operator

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2007, 07:11:50 AM »
Quote from: "CWO4GUNNER"
Just remember buy what you aspire to and not what you would settle for because 40 is the last part of middle age where your feel you can still do just about anything and for the most part if your in shape thats true. So whatever you decide to buy make sure it what you really want because it will probubly be the last really exciting bike you buy before your ready for a twin.

First off,welcome aboard!
  Hey, I resemble that remark. I picked up a 03 SV1000.I wanted to try something lighter that I should be able to carve the corners better just to see how I'd do on it. But I'm still keeping the Bandit too. Since I bought the SV at the beginning of the winter,I havn't had a chance to ride since I picked it up. We had a nice day about a week ago,but worked all day. I figured 1000cc V-Twin would be a tourqe monster(they refer to it as that on the SV site) but after being used to the Bandit,espcially a modified Bandit, it seemed to have less the the Big Bad Bandit.The Bandit may still be my comuting bike(hoping for nice weather next week!,and as long as my tools are on the job)just because of the comfortable riding position. And thats even with the rear sets mounted. A SV owner told me that after I get used to the SV I probably won't want to ride the Bandit much. Time will tell, but I find that hard to believe.(I'm still a youngster,I'm only in the bottom inning of 50yrs.)
  What ever you choose,you found a good site. A bunch of good people here, very helpfull,and friendly. :beers: Dan

Offline Tx RN

• TURBO TYPER!
07 1250
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2007, 06:58:21 PM »
I am glad to see folks getting excited about the new 1250. I read an article, a few weeks ago, about Suzuki's target market for the Bandit 1200. 35-45 year old males looking for affordable speed in a standard set up. I have almost purchased 2 different B12's in the last couple of months but keep holding out for the 1250. I am 44 and not as light as I used to be. I ride a GL 1800 and it is fine for the long haul but not as light and nimble as a standard capable of insane speed. I really like the Bandit line. They are what the Honda nighthawks used to be. Comfortable, simple, fun. The Bandit has always been more capable than the Nighthawk but the idea is the same. As we age, comfort is an all important consideration. 15 minutes on my 50 year old friends CBR 954 had my wrists in some serious pain. So the true sport bikes are out for me. Done the cruiser thing with two different Valkyries. The slouch riding position does nothng for me. My big yellow Goldwing is comfortable and has a killer stereo (not stock), cruise control, and tons of storage. Still...riding the back roads of east Texas would be really great on a smaller bike capable of ripping out of curves and doing 100+ in the straights. So I am waiting for the 1250's to arrive. It should be a hoot! :taz:
Ride hard, die young, leave a good looking corpse. Now that I'm older...

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2007, 07:19:09 PM »
Tx RN, welcome to the board!  :welcome:

The first B1250 shipment has arrived, at least here in Missouri... Click here:

http://forums.banditalley.net/viewtopic.php?t=8546

I know there's one sitting down at Drinnon's Cycle in West Plains, MO. right now... unless Katamaniac grabbed it already!  :bandit:
"Hmmm... near certainty of death with little chance of success... what are we waiting for?"