Author Topic: Noob Looking for a 600 (longish)  (Read 3931 times)

Offline Brianjonesphoto

• New user!
Noob Looking for a 600 (longish)
« on: August 07, 2006, 04:10:07 AM »
I'm a total noob and starting to look for a bike. The Bandit is one of the few bikes that I can sit on comfortably. I'm 27 6'6"300# with a  35" inseam.

It's been a while since I've sat on a B6 and there aren't many around that I can go to a dealer and take a sit. There is a dealer with a couple B12 that I plan on visiting tomorrow. How does the b12 differ from the b6 as far as fit goes?

I don't really know too much about the bikes. I've read through the FAQs and that answered alot of questions. I looks like the B6 is a pretty solid bike across the board. Are there any years in particular I should look for or avoid? What are the major differences between gen1 and gen 2 other than appearance?

I've been searching online forums for a while now and I've been told the B6 isn't a great first bike and I've been told is a pretty good first bike. I know you guys are a little biased but what's your thoughts on a B6 for a first bike? Is it too mcuh bike are too throttle sensative for a first timer?

I'm also trying to stay within a budget of about $2K do you think I will find a decent B6 in this range? I'm not looking for a bike in perfect cosmetic shape, but I want something that is a solid runner.

I've read a few posts about replacing the rear shock. with my weight should this be something I consider right off the bat? I'm 300# without riding gear.

Thanks

Offline tacoman

• Board Homesteader!
B6
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2006, 01:29:57 PM »
I have a Gen 1 B6 that was bone stock when I got it.  The problem with it as far as being a beginner bike is how cold blooded it was and it had a short throw clutch (limited engagement range).  What happens with a beginner?  They stall it over and over till they get a little angry and give it rev and dump the clutch.  The B6 makes pretty good power around 4k rpm so the bike leaps out and over they go.  A lot of B6s will have low speed "scars" on them.  If you're a total newbie it is a good bike with a little tuning.  The holeshot stage 1 will take away the cold blood and give you some decent power off idle to make it user friendly.  After your skills improve there are some other good mods so it can keep up with your improving abilities (suspension would be next).  The B6 and B12 have the same outer dimensions but if you are truly new, i would go B6 as the power/acceleration is more tame for the newbie.  The differences between Gen 1 & 2 is mainly cosmetic, some chassis changes but not a whole lot.

Offline Swamp Rat

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2006, 02:34:53 PM »
@ 300 lbs. go with the 1200 you'll need the torque to get smoothe easy starts and its power delivery is smoothe enough to ride easy. It is my first bike and I haven't had any problems with power....except maybe I want more now but that can't be helped it's genetic.

Go with the 1200....you'll be glad you did.
Brian
20003 1200s
2001 Drz 400e

Offline WEINERDOGBONE

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2006, 07:09:57 PM »
Quote from: Swamp Rat
Go with the 1200....you'll be glad you did.

I have to agree. You are a large and powerful man. Buy the B12. You are going to want it anyway in 6 months I'd bet. The 1200 is perfectly mild mannered unless you start cranking the throttle wide open.

Offline zaphoid42

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2006, 08:02:50 PM »
I bought my B6 as a first bike.  Bone stock  and now with 9,000 miles.  I dont care about the cold blooded stuff.  Use the enricher for a bit and your good to go.

What do you want to do with your bike?

If I ride with other people on a spirited ride in the twisty bits,  the B6 will keep up provided I down shift for every curve (some times two or more gears). Low torque, cable clutch and six gears.  Makes me a little tired.

Out on the high way, the B6 will rip along just fine.  You might present more areo dynamic drag...  Will you be carrying bags cases and such?  The B6 does drone on a bit, the B12 might be a better highway star.

In town running to the bank, post office,  and work, B6 is just fine.

I always intended to do more traveling, over night trips.  Just never got around to it.

Dont know what would make a newbie bike any more.   Just watch your self.  A B6 and a B12 would be equally as dangerous.
2002 GSF6

Offline txbanditrydr

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2006, 08:49:26 PM »
I am hesitant to recommend a B12 as a first bike.  I could reconsider that due to your posted size (not picking on ya).  The Bandit 600 is a GREAT first bike IMHO and was my choice after a 17 year layoff - almost like being a first bike all over again.  Four months after I bought it I picked up a B12.  The problem in your case will be suspension more so than anything else.  The bike will won't feel very nimble and will likely feel sluggish after the initial fear wears off.  If you promise to do the following things then I could recommend a B12 in your case.....

1) Take the MSF course.
2) PASS the MSF course.
3) Wear your protective gear - helmet, gloves, boots, jacket, etc.
4) Practice in a parking lot with the B12.
5) More practice in a parking lot.
6)Take it very easy on the throttle.
7) Enjoy the smiles per gallon.

Good luck with your decision and let us know what you end up getting.
'01 B600S ... sold
'05 B1200S ... Top 20 mods... #20 through #2 - All The Usual Ones, Yada, Yada  & #1... 150,000+ Miles and Counting!!!!

Offline curiousmike

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2006, 09:00:18 PM »
B6 and B12 should be identical fits.

For $2k, you're looking at a B6.

If you're a responsible person ( and you know if you are ), I'd have no qualms telling you to get an extra $500-$1000 and get the B12.

You're a big boned dude, and you're gonna want the extra punch of the 12.

BTW, at 300lbs, you're going to absolutely flatten ANY stock bikes suspension.  Learn what preload is, and max it.  Ride the bike like that for awhile, and when the time comes, upgrade the suspension to match your weight.

Offline amboman

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2006, 11:39:50 PM »
First of all congrats  :congrats: on deciding to go the way of the Bandit, you won't be dissapointed.

Secondly, I agree with all of the above comments either bike B6 or B12 would serve you failthfully for years. I do however being a sizable lad myself tend to lean towards suggesting the B12.  Why, because I tried both and the B12 provided a less effort ride.  With our weight taken into consideration the B6 was working pretty hard as compared to the B12 which still had plenty of pwer to spare.

Having said all this I must reinforce what others have said, I don't know your riding background or experience but if you go the way of the B12 you must must must ride it with the respect that it deserves.  I have found that the B12 is a very forgiving ride but abuse it and it will bite you in the A$$ every time.

Thats my 2 cents worth anyway.   :soapbox:
Taken over by the dark side. Now riding a CB 1300 but visit my old bandit regular.

Offline Brianjonesphoto

• New user!
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2006, 02:11:23 AM »
I'd like to thank everyone for their input.

I plan on taking the BRC as soon as I can, but It looks like the end of september is the soonest it can happen. I don't have any gear yet, but I do believe that you should dress to crash not dress to ride.

Since I have more or less no riding experience I don't think I should be considering the B12. The only reason I mentioned it was in referrance to fit. They are much easier to find than B6's so I wanted to at least sit on a 12 if I couldn't find a 6 close enough for a test sit.

I'm planning on using this bike for a year or two I know it will be a little under powered for me but that is more than OK. I'm not looking for perfomance at this point. I just want something that I can ride comfortably and has enough power to get me out of trouble if need be not in to it.

I went to sit on a b12 today at a local shop and they just took a b6 in on trade. It has some crash damage that they are planning to repair. They are going to call me tomorrow with price details. Hopefully I can get a great deal if its partial repaired.

Offline jlmoulto

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2006, 08:39:57 AM »
A 1200 Bandit for a new rider?  You guys have got to be kidding!

I am bigger than this guy and I rode everything from a 500 Ascot, a 250 rebel, and a GS850, before buying the Bandit, 5 years into the riding curve.

Too small? Same frame as the B12.  
Too slow? 250 Rebel can get me up to 140 kms/hr.  GS850 gets me up to at least 190 km/hr.  B6 out performs either bike...I think we know the answer here.

Don't cloud your recommendations based on what you want to ride.  Evaluate the person asking the question and ask what is best for him/her.

No personal offense meant, but a 1200 is NOT for a beginner...end of story.

Offline Swamp Rat

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2006, 11:59:46 AM »
As I stated earlier, the 1200 was and still is my first street bike. Yes the power was a bit scarey at first but I got used to it and stayed out of it for the most part. Maybe I shouldn't have started out on that bike but I went with what I wanted. I guess if he wants a 600 then that's what he should get.

Now, having said that,....if it were a 20+ year old me I shouldn't have been on anything over 250 cc and even then I probably would have hurt myself.

Go with whatever you think you will be comfortable with but I beleive ,if you still have testicles,[no offence to the ladies of the board] you will want more OOOMMFF out of your ride.

There,I'm up to 4 cents now and I'm going broke.
Brian
20003 1200s
2001 Drz 400e

Offline Daytona

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2006, 12:37:22 PM »
="jlmoulto"]A 1200 Bandit for a new rider?  You guys have got to be kidding!

I am bigger than this guy and I rode everything from a 500 Ascot, a 250 rebel, and a GS850, before buying the Bandit, 5 years into the riding curve.

Too small? Same frame as the B12.  
Too slow? 250 Rebel can get me up to 140 kms/hr.  GS850 gets me up to at least 190 km/hr.  B6 out performs either bike...I think we know the answer here.

Don't cloud your recommendations based on what you want to ride.  Evaluate the person asking the question and ask what is best for him/her.

Why ride with it on the edge of its max to move 300lbs??? If one is going to ride on 2 wheels they should be responsible enough to control the amount of throttle required!!! What diff is it? (as you stated same frame) if you are @ 120 mph with ease or maxin the thing out??? Just an added neg!   Get the 1200 and act responsibly!!!!   :stickpoke:  :motorsmile:   :motorsmile:  :motorsmile:

Offline WEINERDOGBONE

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2006, 07:26:18 PM »
Quote from: jlmoulto

I'm sorry friend but you are all wet. I assume the guy has common sense based on the fact that he is asking for input. If he was too stupid to own a bike with enough displacement to move his butt around, I don't think he would be here doing research. There is nothing spooky about a B12. It only moves as fast as you make it move.

Offline jlmoulto

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2006, 10:33:00 PM »
You know what, you guys are right.  I am totally out to lunch.  Please ignore my previous post.

For sure, buy the 1200 and, as it is underpowered, you will want to immediately jet and install an aftermarket exhaust.  I would also recommend the 1216 kit as well while you are at it.  I would leave the nitrous to later though.  You know, perhaps really you would be better off to just go and buy the ZX-14 from Kawasaki to start and next year when the new Hayabusa comes out, you'll get a good trade in.  By that time you'll have the experinece you need under your belt.[/sarcasam]

It amazes me that the most reasonable person here is the original poster asking the question.  Read his last post to see what I mean.

Brianjonesphoto, buy the used B6, have more fun than you can ever imagine.  It is comfortable and will have tons of power to put a grin on your face.  Take a course, as you have indicated, and learn all you can about riding.  I am impressed you are looking at good gear.

Sometime in the future, after you have some mileage under your belt, start thinking about the type of riding you do.  Once you know your riding style, you'll know what bike is right for you.

Offline Daytona

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2006, 12:30:12 AM »
Ok don't be sorry you asked! The 1200 is as easy to ride as the 600. Same bike in size etc! Just a much better machine for a kinda heavy weight. The last Boss ride had a kinda large 600 rider that i bet would suggest the 1200 hands down. Just don't ride beyond your ability! Good luck with which ever you choose, they are both great bikes. You will just be saying that about the 1200 no matter who or what your riding with!!!

:motorsmile:  :motorsmile:  :bigok:  :congrats: