Author Topic: Overcoming E10 (Ethanol Gas)  (Read 13232 times)

Offline pmackie

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Re: Overcoming E10 (Ethanol Gas)
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2008, 01:14:51 AM »
Hey Sven

Installing a jet kit is really not that hard. The hardest part (on the B6 and I'm told the B12 as well) is usually removing the float bowl screws, which can be a real bugger! Make sure you've got a good screwdriver. And then reinstalling the throttle cables at the end is a real pain as well.

Anyway, based on the feedback I've seen here, the best kits to consider are either the Holeshot or Ivan's kit. Ivan's kit comes with new needles, which can open up some additional tuning options (and complexity), whereas Holeshot uses shims on the stock needles. For use with the stock airbox/filter and a slip-on can, either will work just fine. Both come with instructions and tuning suggestions.

You will find some addtional power, especially in the mid range, and warm up with the choke will be greatly reduced.

Just take your time, and follow the instructions, and you will likely be fine...(after cussing the throttle cable reinstall!!)
Paul
2002-GSF600S, Progressive Fork Springs, B12 Shock,
SS Brake lines, EBC HH pads, Leo Vince Ex & Kappa bags.
Ex Bike Mechanic (late 70's), somewhat rusty
32 years in the Fuel/lubes industry(Retired)

Offline Sven

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
  • Drop the puck!
    • My site is always under renovation!
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2008, 07:11:01 PM »
Installing a jet kit is really not that hard...Just take your time, and follow the instructions, and you will likely be fine...(after cussing the throttle cable reinstall!!)

I will most likely save this for a deep winter (late Jan/early Feb) visit to the repair shoppe and have them do it along with other stuff.  But then, you never know...if I can get someone to help me, I might tackle it myself.
2003 Suzuki Bandit 1200S | el Bandido de Cerceta | the teal bandit
2010 Yamaha FJR1300A | Gin Tama | the silver bullet
2002 Honda CRV | the dirt-colored car

Offline txbanditrydr

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2008, 11:33:21 AM »
OK... here's a little follow up post jetkit/pipe install.  The power delivery was very noticeable after the pipe was installed.  Overall, things were a lot smoother running and the idle hiccup (lean sneeze?) largely disappeared.  The bike can now idle at 1,100 rpm where as before it needed to be around 1,400 rpm to be stable.

What really surprised me was the mileage figures... they shot (IMHO) way up - nearly 10% better than before.  I was fully prepared to sacrifice a couple of MPG's for the increased power and was just astounded on the increased mileage.  Actual numbers were 40 mpg before and a very consistent 43-45 mpg after... no matter how hard I romp on it.  A couple of tanks were over 47, also had one range test of 218 miles on a single fill-up with .7 gallons left.  Pretty incredible.

The only downside at the moment is increased rear tire wear - I can't seem to keep that throttle hand in check.   :trustme:

I chose a kit based on a lot of different feedback that centered on the "plug-n-play" capability of that particular kit.  While I can't vouch for anyone else's efforts I only had to do this one time using the "baseline" settings provided by the kit manufacturer.  I know it's not perfect - there's a bit of a flat spot at certain rpm's but thing are running so much better I haven't felt the need to tweak it... too busy riding (nearly 5,000 miles since the kit install).   :motorsmile:

I hope to put a report together later in the month but the weather has been fantastic and I'll save that for a rainy day. 
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 11:36:08 AM by txbanditrydr »
'01 B600S ... sold
'05 B1200S ... Top 20 mods... #20 through #2 - All The Usual Ones, Yada, Yada  & #1... 150,000+ Miles and Counting!!!!

Offline B6mick

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2008, 08:20:26 PM »
Hey Sven

Installing a jet kit is really not that hard. The hardest part (on the B6 and I'm told the B12 as well) is usually removing the float bowl screws, which can be a real bugger! Make sure you've got a good screwdriver. And then reinstalling the throttle cables at the end is a real pain as well.

Indeed, they can be a bugger, a good set of small vice grips does the job, and if you go the Factory Pro, kits they even supply new allen key bolts to replace the factory phillips heads. :clap:
Foot loose and fancy free.
Looking for adventure and what ever comes our way.

Offline txbanditrydr

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2008, 08:58:45 PM »

Indeed, they can be a bugger, a good set of small vice grips does the job....

Tru' dat.... I managed 15 out of 16 with a good fitting screwdriver.  Just ever so slightly buggered one up and even the impact wouldn't work.  I ended up buying a pair of needle nose vice grips (great excuse to buy a tool) and it came right off.  Of course, had I been patient like all the others I wouldn't have needed to make the trip.   :duh:
'01 B600S ... sold
'05 B1200S ... Top 20 mods... #20 through #2 - All The Usual Ones, Yada, Yada  & #1... 150,000+ Miles and Counting!!!!

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2008, 11:15:18 PM »
On my Kawi, I got to the point where I was starting with the needle nosed Vise Grips (why do they use such CRAP screws!?!?!?).  Worked like a charm.  Next time I take the bowls off, I'll buy the allen heads in advance...
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2008, 12:35:42 PM »
and if you go the Factory Pro, kits they even supply new allen key bolts to replace the factory phillips heads. :clap:

Holeshot does, too.

:btw: The Japanese have a slightly different standard (JIS 4633B-3/1991) for Phillips head screws, which contributes to them being difficult if the correct tool isn't used.  An SAE or European Phillips driver has a pointier tip than a JIS one, so the tip of a non-JIS driver will bottom out in the screw and not come into full contact with the screw... much like trying to use a Reed & Prince screwdriver in an SAE Phillips screw.  If you have a JIS Phillips driver, the incidence of damaged screws is much less.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline txbanditrydr

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2008, 11:08:09 AM »
I will most likely save this for a deep winter (late Jan/early Feb) visit to the repair shoppe and have them do it along with other stuff.  But then, you never know...if I can get someone to help me, I might tackle it myself.

Sven.... check your P/M's and email.  I sent you a P/M but your ISP kicked it back.  Just wondering if you got the main email.  :trustme:
'01 B600S ... sold

Offline Sven

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
  • Drop the puck!
    • My site is always under renovation!
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2008, 11:46:11 AM »
Sven.... check your P/M's and email.  I sent you a P/M but your ISP kicked it back.  Just wondering if you got the main email.

Oh yeah, I got it fine, wonder why you were notified otherwise.  Anyway, I am in awe of the top-qaulity job y'all did on the document!  Much appreciated!
2003 Suzuki Bandit 1200S | el Bandido de Cerceta | the teal bandit
2010 Yamaha FJR1300A | Gin Tama | the silver bullet
2002 Honda CRV | the dirt-colored car

Offline txbanditrydr

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2008, 03:02:06 PM »
Oh yeah, I got it fine, wonder why you were notified otherwise. 

The automatic email notification sent out by B/A was rejected by your ISP and Stormi let me know.

Glad you got the attachment and thanks for the kind words.
'01 B600S ... sold

Offline txbanditrydr

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2009, 10:36:17 PM »
Well... between some great riding weather, actually assembling the photos with text, getting some peer review and a little help hosting I finally finished my jet kit install guide (4 months after the fact).  It's posted up HERE FOR MEMBERS ONLY. 

Sorry for the "hidden" areas - that's a result of discussions with the manufacturer and honoring his request to protect proprietary information.  Hope it helps someone - there aren't very many stock B12's anymore.   :trustme:
'01 B600S ... sold

Offline pmackie

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2009, 12:17:54 PM »
Great job guys!!!

:thanks: Thanks to Tx and Terrebandit. - Job well done.  :thanks:

Some great instructions here on how to remove the carbs from your B12. The process is substantially the same for the 2nd gen B6 as well.
Paul
2002-GSF600S, Progressive Fork Springs, B12 Shock,
SS Brake lines, EBC HH pads, Leo Vince Ex & Kappa bags.
Ex Bike Mechanic (late 70's), somewhat rusty
32 years in the Fuel/lubes industry(Retired)

Offline Dave 02 1200

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2009, 03:36:12 PM »
My E-10 problems disappeared when I went up another jet size and added two shims to my needles.

Now the bike runs great, maybe even better than on straight gas with the old set-up.

Try it.  You will like it!

I think that E-10 has a higher oxygen content and causes the bike to run leaner than on straight gas but, when corrected with bigger jets, all is well.
Busa Shock
HS Stage 1 Jet Kit
Superbike Bars with Bar End Mirrors
Kriss Headlight Modulator

Offline banditone1250s

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2009, 06:55:21 PM »
  You know I get that "lean popping' now myself and I just attributed it to the Two Brothers exhaust that I put on it because it started about that time, but with that being said, I think there could something to that alcohol thing in the fuel. I do know that I did a little research when I first got my bike and the manufacturers recommend that you "do not use" alcohol in the Bandit fuel. Some thing about the fact that it wears on seals and stuff like that. It also seems like to me that the alcohol "stickers" at the pump are a fairly recent thing too. Oh well maybe some of us in here can get our heads together and figure out a way around it or some thing...Banditone1250s...

There is a thin line between fear and respect...Feel free to drift across it every now and then...
There is a thin line between fear and respect...feel free to drift across it every now and then...