Author Topic: racing in 600... am I insane or what? opinions wanted  (Read 6511 times)

Offline mademiriam

• Site Testing Volunteer
  • Board Homesteader!
Re: racing in 600... am I insane or what? opinions wanted
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2009, 09:58:20 PM »
 :grin: oh wouldn't I love to share them... can't right now bike is in the living room  :roll: due to hurricane warning last weekend, Bill turned out to be not much of a storm once it hit here but we were concerned to have our bikes tipped over like dominoes so ended up taking them in...
home again now so I'll see if I can get some pics once it's moved out again.
'05 Bandit 1200, Full Muzzy, Dyno jet stage 1, 5 degree ignition advancer, Galfer SS Lines, EBC rotors, busa shock, busa forks
'03 R6 trackbike

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2009, 12:03:38 PM »
We're still waiting...  :stickpoke:
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline mademiriam

• Site Testing Volunteer
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2009, 01:53:11 PM »
sorry been waiting for pics from trackday to pop up. My other half was too sick to lift a camera. Here's my report for the day sorry for the rambling-
The first trackday with the R6 went well. My first goal for the day was to keep it rubber side down, which I'm lucky to report I did manage and the bike looked the same coming home as it did leaving.
I was feeling rather under the weather starting on Wednesday and didn't feel any better when Friday trackday rolled around. Not only I but the whole household was sick. This wasn't enough to have us miss the last trackday of the year however.
My times didn't drop as low as I would have wanted, which bothered me a bit during the trackday as it just seemed I couldn't get the energy to press on anymore. In retrospect though I'm quite pleased with my first day on a bike of the R6 caliber which I've never ridden before in my life and the ability to at least keep it all together with the bit of energy that I did have.
First lap of the first session the rear tire broke loose just enough to say the tire was still cold and I was dealing with more than 50hp now. What a joy the R6 is to ride! Dragging knees feels almost effortless. While it doesn't have a slipper clutch the transmission is honestly the smoothest shifting bike I have ever ridden. 
Halfway through the morning I had a 'incident' witnessed conveniently by the bikes former owner and another rider which happened to be right behind me. As I was accelerating through the last bit of the back straight I experienced a sudden and very violent tank slapper movement. It lifted me momentarily out of my seat and left me thinking there was something wrong with the bike. The guys behind me luckily had their heads up and I managed not to go flying off the bike at 180kmh. After this my 'crew chief' tightened my damper more. Not having been used to ridding with one I had only had it set loosely. Still the actual cause is unknown, nobody saw anything that should have caused it, possibly I had managed to hit something on the track while the front wheel was light from acceleration. I honestly don't know.
One of the session i cut short and lost a few laps because I felt too lightheaded to continue. All in all though I think this was the best trackday yet, with the least amount of accidents and the most amount of tracktime. Biggest incident of the day was our friend from trackschool Rick wrecking it big time in turn 7, poor guy's had two crashes this year. Time to get a racebike for him too I think. Or rather turn that nearly brand new 08 GSXR 750 in to one its totally wrecked anyway... I came around a turn to see him standing in a field of little plastic pieces.
Looking forward to some more riding once the bike is street legal.

yes thats our living room
'05 Bandit 1200, Full Muzzy, Dyno jet stage 1, 5 degree ignition advancer, Galfer SS Lines, EBC rotors, busa shock, busa forks
'03 R6 trackbike

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2009, 02:05:38 PM »
Love the new living room furniture... how comfortable is it to sit on and watch tv?  Probably great to watch the races on, eh?  :bandit:
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline mademiriam

• Site Testing Volunteer
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2009, 07:44:38 AM »
Love the new living room furniture... how comfortable is it to sit on and watch tv?  Probably great to watch the races on, eh?  :bandit:
ya sometimes as night we sneek down in our pajamas and make engine noises while 'riding it' ok not really. As furniture it's a lot sexier than the pink floral couch set the mother outlaw told me I had to accept.  :grin:
'03 R6 trackbike

Offline crashoverrideplik

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2009, 06:35:52 PM »
Man you picked a class I hate to ride in. I started in that class. It sucks when you are new to road racing. I race light weight twin on my Hawk 650, heavy weight twin on my Duacti 996, endurance on a F3 Honda and Formula 450 on a CR450. You might wanna give endurance racing a try. Your r6 would be good for that class. I run in it with an old F3 and it's a lot of fun and another class you can get serious track time in. If you can get into a school before next season look at the Star school, Kevin Schwantz's or Freddie Spencers schools to tune your riding. Also most of the schools have a guy who will set up your bike for you so you can get reasonably close to correct suspension set up, etc. We ran an R6 for a bit. I think I have notes if you'd like some set up ideas. Keep it rubber side down.

Offline mademiriam

• Site Testing Volunteer
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2009, 08:18:11 PM »
I know what you mean the endurance race looks like a lot of fun...thats right we have one of them a year. I think in any other part of the world I'd never race 600
'03 R6 trackbike

Offline smooth operator

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2009, 06:46:00 AM »
 :clap: You'll get your lapX down with seat time,first time out on the bike and under the weather as well, must have just felt good getting to learn the bike.
  I have my last track day of the year coming up too. Oct 3rd @ Beaver Run,will be running in the advanced class with the racers practicing for Sundays races.

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2009, 08:27:08 AM »
Ooh, Dan!  It's looking like I'll be visiting my fam out in Western PA that weekend.  Wonder if I can talk the wife into riding out to the track for a little while...
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline smooth operator

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2009, 06:34:42 PM »
 Rob, that would be awsome if you can make it! We've should have met by now. I still have a extra bike don't forget. My cell # is 814) 392-7860.  Not sure if my wife is going or my pal that owns the bike shopp "Killer" or if I'm going it alone. No matter, I know I'll be there. I'd really like to watch races on Sun. too, but not sure if it will happen. My wife was totally boered last time, read a book and didn't want to watch me in the rain.(Anxitety)
  I'd really like to be part of the races, but do to no hospitaliation and respecting my wife's wishes not to race. I'll be satisfied with riding in the addvanced group.  Dan

Offline mademiriam

• Site Testing Volunteer
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2009, 11:42:19 PM »
oh man hope you guys have a blast at beaver run, just checked that track out online and hot @^%#( no gravel anywhere!!! and I didn't see any patches in the asphalt! Oh and the straights are actually straight  :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: it's like heaven!
Hope you guys have a great day and bring back some pics for the rest of us.  :motorsmile:
'03 R6 trackbike

Offline smooth operator

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2009, 05:49:50 AM »
  Its a fun track,some tight turns but they flow nicely together. Elevation changes,with a couple blind corners and a one being off cantered going into the back straight.Has good grip and seems to rain alot there. :grin:
   I hope the weather is better than it is now. Cold blowing and wet!

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2009, 08:08:03 AM »
It's way fun.  There are some scary bumps if you get too wide on that off camber, downhill right-hander.  The first kink on the back straight takes some confidence to take WFO - but that's where you can make up the most time for an intermediate rider.  The braking area for the carousel is a little beat up, too.  But like Dan says, it just flows so nice.  Turns 2-5 just rock.  Unfortunately, I think it rained my last 5 days there...   :rant2:

Unfortunately Dan, my P'burgh trip got pushed back to the 10th...
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline smooth operator

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2009, 06:22:58 AM »
  Well maybe we can make it next year then Rob.  Fasttrax will be running  @ Beaver Run more often next year and they come up with some good deals sometimes.(ridefasttrax.com) They put in 1 more event @ Nelson Ledges Oct 10 & 11 for only $80. But I don't think I will be able to spend again with work slowing down.
   Sorry if I highjacked the thread, too bad we're so far away,too far to try each others tracks.Good luck with next years racing.

Offline mademiriam

• Site Testing Volunteer
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2009, 09:22:42 AM »
No worries about the thread, I love hearing about other peoples track experiences and tracks... the tracks make me jealous. The other half ie. the 'pit crew' has decided they would like a road trip to some other tracks...  :motorsmile: sounds good to me. I'll give it a few years though, just found out the young guy needs braces... $6k  :yikes:
'03 R6 trackbike