Author Topic: Riding to clear your mind  (Read 10285 times)

Offline solman

• Board Homesteader!
Riding to clear your mind
« on: December 16, 2007, 09:24:53 PM »
With all the stresses of work and family life, I find that riding one day a week aggressively really helps me get thru the weeek.   I tried to go a week without a good ride and found myself going stir crazy.:taz:  As hard as I tried not to go out today, I finally had to go for a quick ride.  It gives me the mental clarity that I need to forget about everything else for a few hours.  Some use driinking, some use drugs, I use riding.  What do you do to get yourself thru the week.
03 Naked Bandit 1200 <br />Vitamin B12, its great for the soul!

Offline Sven

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
  • Drop the puck!
    • My site is always under renovation!
Re: Riding to clear your mind
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2007, 09:32:14 PM »
Here, December and January are the rainiest of our year.  And like today, when it's not rainy, it's sunny and C-O-L-D.  So winter is a bit of a challenge.  But before Christmas, there will be a warmer day when I'll suit up and burn off a few gallons out among the cotton fields.  (You know, like you have there in AZ!)

Nine months out of the year, I get my lift on my commute to work.  There's this place where the road narrows from seven lanes to two, and there are no cross streets, and I like to get ahead of as many cars as possible.  I justfy those 117 MPH in a 45 MPH zone bursts by the fact that getting ahead of even a couple cars means one less period sitting at a light at the bottom of the hill.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2007, 09:37:05 PM by Sven »
2003 Suzuki Bandit 1200S | el Bandido de Cerceta | the teal bandit
2010 Yamaha FJR1300A | Gin Tama | the silver bullet
2002 Honda CRV | the dirt-colored car

Offline solman

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2007, 09:39:14 PM »
Yea, I know that some are limited due to seasonal problems.  I guess it wouldn't bother so much not to ride if that was the case for me.  Luckily it isn't the issue most of the time.

Offline Heyu

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2007, 10:19:05 PM »
 I have cabin fever and would love to be able to go for a ride it's the best thing there is. Motorcycles the only drug that works every time for every problem :beers:

Offline solman

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2007, 10:21:47 PM »
I have cabin fever and would love to be able to go for a ride it's the best thing there is. Motorcycles the only drug that works every time for every problem :beers:

That is a truism, probably why I broke out for ride today.

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • GUNNER G. CWO4 WEPS USCG Retired
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2007, 11:17:19 PM »
I ride for recreation everyday but only as a reward to a good work out. If I don't work out I don't feel like I deserve to ride, a personal thing.

Offline GooseMan

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.soundwerksaudio.com
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2007, 12:32:52 AM »
I havent been on my bike since October...I'm starting to go nuts!  :taz: Sigh...only 3-4 more months of winter.... :annoy:
1991 Bandit 400

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2007, 01:51:57 AM »
A few months ago I was having some relationship problems -- riding was about the thing keeping me sane. Now that it`s winter here I spend most of my time dreaming about riding.
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline solman

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2007, 01:56:17 AM »
So I am guessing that I am not the only one that uses riding to stay on the sane side of life.

Offline pmackie

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2007, 02:18:00 AM »
Yea...riding does it for me as well, either dirt or street...

But when I've had a really stressful time a work, there is nothing like a good multi-day, multi-province/state ride with a few good buddies to really readjust the attitude.

However, my bikes been parked since mid Oct as well, and only 3-1/2 months to go, either dirt or street. We will be breaking out the skiis next week, as the local hill just opened. Skiing with my kids will take the place of riding for the next 12 weeks, and I should get out most weekends.
Paul
2002-GSF600S, Progressive Fork Springs, B12 Shock,
SS Brake lines, EBC HH pads, Leo Vince Ex & Kappa bags.
Ex Bike Mechanic (late 70's), somewhat rusty
32 years in the Fuel/lubes industry(Retired)

Offline speedwaymaniac

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2007, 08:21:35 AM »
sadly i was in the same situation as interfuse. Riding is wonderful for me its the best form of escapism, once I'm on the bike i CAN'T be sad for anything more than 10 minutes, simply because riding is so enjoyable, even in the cold and wet.
Secondly if you're not in the right frame of mind on a bike you'll end up road-kill before long, so i always snap into place pretty quick for that reason if no other.
JJ
'04 GSF 600 Bandit K4
'00 GSF 600 Bandit Y - Used for parts
'95 GSF 400 Bandit - smashed :'(

Offline smooth operator

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2007, 09:15:31 AM »
I havent been on my bike since October...I'm starting to go nuts!  :taz: Sigh...only 3-4 more months of winter.... :annoy:
  I hear ya bro,I'm going to have alot of mind clearing to do come spring! I need to get a bike with knobbies and studs for the winter!
     Dan

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2007, 12:30:56 PM »
I work out and get my cardio up to release stress which also force the release of opiates from the brain, a natural narcotic pain killer which causes euphoria with only positive effects. Then I get on my bike and ride and savor only the ride flight for what it is, freedom. Without the opiates its just not the same. Incidentally when released from the brain the effect last for 3 to 5 hours. 
« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 12:34:20 PM by CWO4GUNNER »

Offline solman

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2007, 01:08:22 PM »
I work out and get my cardio up to release stress which also force the release of opiates from the brain, a natural narcotic pain killer which causes euphoria with only positive effects. Then I get on my bike and ride and savor only the ride flight for what it is, freedom. Without the opiates its just not the same. Incidentally when released from the brain the effect last for 3 to 5 hours. 

My brother does the same thing, he uses a punching bag.

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2007, 01:50:01 PM »

Whatever as long as it releases that pent up energy and the exhaustion causes the release of that brain elixir. I think that why allot of folks suffer from depression because like a bike that sits too much we get loaded up. So if I miss a work out day, I punish myself by not riding so I can get back in the groove.

My brother does the same thing, he uses a punching bag.