Author Topic: Riding to clear your mind  (Read 10284 times)

Offline Pidgey

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x57/pidgey_photos/
Re: Riding to clear your mind
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2007, 03:25:52 PM »
For me it's speed........I love going fast  :roll: At the right time and place of course.
I need some speed to unwind, piddling around town in traffic fighting the Wallymart and Home Depot crowd doesn't do it for me. :bigok:
07 Bandit GSF 1250
07 Bandit GSF  650
07 Ural Patrol

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • GUNNER G. CWO4 WEPS USCG Retired
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2007, 05:03:03 PM »
Same here only on my dirt bike. Just a few moments ago after a 6.5 mile workout I jumped on my 450X and did 10 miles of high speed single track negotiating between rocks and small jumps 90 & 180 degree turns, hill climbing and drop offs feel great on a bike that weighs 240 pounds and has 50 HP. But I also get my enjoyment on the B1250 out here on rout 66 where there is not a car or cop in sight for miles and plenty of road whoops to make your stomach drop and the bike almost airborne at 100 MPH.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2007, 12:57:17 AM by CWO4GUNNER »

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2007, 12:14:03 AM »
Here, December and January are the rainiest of our year.  And like today, when it's not rainy, it's sunny and C-O-L-D.  So winter is a bit of a challenge.  But before Christmas, there will be a warmer day when I'll suit up and burn off a few gallons out among the cotton fields.  (You know, like you have there in AZ!)

You're near N'ville?  It was sunny and in the 70s there last week!  I was there Tuesday (I think... maybe Wednesday... I loose track of cities and days....).
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline Sven

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
  • Drop the puck!
    • My site is always under renovation!
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2007, 12:28:05 AM »
ROB, down toward Memphis.  Yeah, the weather has been all over the map here the past couple weeks.  The daily highs in December (so far) look like they are pulling lottery numbers: 64 - 70 - 46 - 55 - 62 - 39 - 54 - 71 - 73 - 53 - 73 - 69 - 46 - 37 - 45 - 52.
2003 Suzuki Bandit 1200S | el Bandido de Cerceta | the teal bandit
2010 Yamaha FJR1300A | Gin Tama | the silver bullet
2002 Honda CRV | the dirt-colored car

Offline aussiebandit

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2007, 02:17:54 AM »
If I've had a particularly bad week then I'll take the long way home on Friday, this can at times mean a 200km ride instead of the usual 10km.
AUSSIEBANDIT (MICK)
02B12

"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool"

Offline Mongo

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2007, 05:28:36 PM »
Shit I've got three generations of women in my house riding is he only thing that clears my mind, thank god I can ride year round! :bomb:
02 1200 Fighter
Do chickens fly? Yea and a Hell of a lot faster than reindeer!!!!

Offline Vidrazor

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2007, 12:28:36 AM »
As some of you may know, I went out of my way to make sure I could all year 'round, right down to the 'teens. I think I'd go nuts if I couldn't ride at least once every week or two. I know some you can't ride at all past a certain time in the year, but some of you could if you really wanted to. It's all a matter of having the right gear.

Snow's melted enough, and it's actually above freezing here in the NY area right now, so I took a ride to a cafe I frequent where I'm writing this. It's about a half-hour jaunt from my place, but I may take a longer way home.

Airing the mind... :bandit:

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • GUNNER G. CWO4 WEPS USCG Retired
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2007, 12:45:56 AM »
Maybe one day they will have Moto-Caffe where you can take your bike in winter and be able to role your bike onto a dyno-time virtual simulator and while getting the latest performance tuning data, ride your own bike through simulated 3D location anywhere is the world, even sharpen your skills with problem simulation like avoiding a crazed blonds in a corvette's trying to run you over. 

ippo

« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2007, 11:40:25 AM »
Maybe one day they will have Moto-Caffe where you can take your bike in winter and be able to role your bike onto a dyno-time virtual simulator and while getting the latest performance tuning data, ride your own bike through simulated 3D location anywhere is the world, even sharpen your skills with problem simulation like avoiding a crazed blonds in a corvette's trying to run you over. 
I drove ww golf gti simulated monte carlo race.The car was real one.Markus Grönholm drove compenttion and it was
copy to computer same time.You felt all holes and bumps.
Simulated tell your time and average speed.Appliance pay 160.000$.Not home use.
more info-foto:http://www.simrac.com/
http://www.simrac.com/ choose RALLISIMULAATTORIT and english flag.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2007, 12:06:14 PM by ippo »

Offline ciso

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2007, 12:36:28 AM »
I moved to an area that has a great deal more rain than what I am used to but I do actually find a break in the clouds on odd days and ride.
My wife understands and thinks I am nuts when it is under 40 degrees but she never says a word, just gives me the look.
I deal with a lot of stressful situations during the week at work, riding, messing with the bikes is the only release that works any more.
07 1250 Bandit
07 SV 650
01 B12
XR 250

Offline Sven

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
  • Drop the puck!
    • My site is always under renovation!
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2007, 01:44:20 AM »
I deal with a lot of stressful situations during the week at work, riding, messing with the bikes is the only release that works any more.

What, like you can't get good weed up there?

Ha ha.  I agree with the riding part, even at 40 degrees (but riding in rain is not very relaxing for me).  I don't get as much fun from workin gon the bike, but I think the same sort of methodical work from tearing apart a PC and rebuilding it, or struggling through some web design or editing pix is along the same line.
2003 Suzuki Bandit 1200S | el Bandido de Cerceta | the teal bandit
2010 Yamaha FJR1300A | Gin Tama | the silver bullet
2002 Honda CRV | the dirt-colored car

Offline ciso

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2007, 10:45:26 AM »

Ha ha.  I agree with the riding part, even at 40 degrees (but riding in rain is not very relaxing for me).  I don't get as much fun from workin gon the bike, but I think the same sort of methodical work from tearing apart a PC and rebuilding it, or struggling through some web design or editing pix is along the same line.

I leave the weed to the younger crowd.....
Used to love the tech side also...but I am the security side of IT and have to deal with the retarded cats mostly and that includes my staff.
That's why the bikes are my outlet, so very different from what I have to do on a routine basis day after day. But I do love my work but also need the real life stuff.
07 1250 Bandit
07 SV 650
01 B12
XR 250

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2007, 10:41:45 AM »

Ha ha. 

No, that the OTHER Vancouver...  :lol:
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline LowRyter

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2007, 11:50:09 AM »
nothing like twisting that throttle and feeling B12 torkkkk.....and finding a steep curve and leaning it over and feeling that back tire stick when you hit the apex and GAS IT.........

With all the weather, I didnt get the B12 out in nearly a month.  But yesterday it was sunny and got up in the 50s.  Probably the longest that bike has sit, since I bought in 1998 and put 61k miles on it.   :annoy:

It was SO COLD (How cold was it?).  It was so cold, I had to finally use jumpers to have enough Amps to kick it over.  It ran on 3 cyl for five minutes.  It finally started to clear.  I took a few minutes and put my gear on.  Re-started, and smoooth as butttttaaaaaaa.  Tires felt like wood, the roads were sandy.  But after 60 miles and new gas it was carving pretty good.  :clap:

We usually get a several days in the winter like, a few days in 60s.  Nothing but rain, ice, snow & wind.  I missed the sun more than I did the Bandit.   :taz:
John L

1998 Red Suzuki GSF-1200S
1998 Red & Cream Moto Guzzi V11 EV
2001 Greenie Moto Guzzi V11 Sport

Offline B6mick

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2008, 12:05:11 AM »
With all the stresses of work and family life, I find that riding one day a week aggressively really helps me get thru the weeek.   I tried to go a week without a good ride and found myself going stir crazy.:taz:  As hard as I tried not to go out today, I finally had to go for a quick ride.  It gives me the mental clarity that I need to forget about everything else for a few hours.  Some use driinking, some use drugs, I use riding.  What do you do to get yourself thru the week.

Yep me too. My ex use to throw my lid at me and tell me to go for a ride around the block( around the block where we lived was a 3 hr trip) and get a attitude adjustment.
At least she was right about something. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Its good for the soul. some need church, the saddle is my church. :motorsmile:

Just don't tell my butt that right now, The Minister of War and I just got back from a 2000k round trip in 3 days up in the Snowy Mountains, and back down the east coast. And because we are 1 bike down, (the rex is sick) we did it totally loaded up and 2 up on the brilliant B6, in the middle of a efen heatwave nothing under 40C phew. hellaluya brothers.

http://cid-c5b57dcb740b13ba.spaces.live.com/default.aspx
« Last Edit: January 01, 2008, 12:37:34 AM by B6mick »
Foot loose and fancy free.
Looking for adventure and what ever comes our way.